Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden for Easter week...

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of booking a diy trip to Solden for Easter for a family of 3 flying into Innsbruck could anyone share tips on transfers and accommodation that won't break the bank, also is Solden worth it does it have a good ski area and apres ski? Any hints / tips much appreciated.
Cheers
Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@romeowner,

Accommodation I can't really help with but there's a good range and 'quiet corners' if that's preferred. If you're going DIY I'd recommend hiring a car it's a very straight forwards drive form Innsbruck, I prefer having a car as it allows me to work to my own time table and if I fancy it can try other near by resorts. Being in Solden a day in Obergurgl/Hochgurgl is the obvious choice and can be added to your lift pass on purchase for around 10E. There's certainly plenty to go at in Solden for a week but Obergurgl is a nice area very much suited to begineers and nervous intermediates and the available terrain has expanded this season. Actually depending on the ageability of your family it's perhaps a better choice IMHO.

I really like Solden, high so snow sure with two glaciers, with a good variety of slopes, modern lift infrastructure, and cracking off piste available. I've only ever been early and late season. The run back down to the town is kept open as long as possible but in April is usually a dirty snotty slitter of snow running through green fields so would recommend down loading in one of the big gondolas. On accommodation selection I'd look for something reasonably close to one of the two main gondolas which are roughly speaking at each end of the town, otherwise it's potentially a little bit of a hike to get up the mountain and back each day.

Some seem to comment that it's not the nicest of town with a road running through it but in the winter the only traffic will be buses and cars heading up to Obergurgl. The apres ski is very lively but also easily avoided or sampled and left wink

I guess as with any high altitude resort the lack of trees means you're very exposed in bad weather, there are some tree lined runs.

I'd wholly recommend it, seems to still be off the main stream UK skiers radar compared to some of the Austria resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@romeowner, we went last year for a week and also enjoyed it, it was a package with Crystal so can't really comment on the accom / transfer aspects.

The skiing is generally good, quite a lot of terrain and some excellent Glacier runs a big mix of stuff available to you, not sure on what Easter will be like but it was great in a poor snow January.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizwald,
Cheers for the reply my daughter is only 9 and still learning so would you recommend Obergurgl over Solden for the ease of lifts and runs I'm open to wherever really as long as it's pretty snow sure for the time of year, done France loads so need a change!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obergurgl is somewhere we go every year. It is quite snow sure, but there is less choice of accommodation outside the hotels. However if you can find a deal the hotels are well serviced with spas and swimming pools so great for all.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@romeowner,

No problem, a lot of the hotels in Obergurgl are ski in/out which may appeal with a youngster. As @garystarling, there isn't a great deal going on outside of the hotels so meals, entertainment and non-ski activities are based around the hotel. The majority of the hotels in Obergurgl are 'wellness' type hotels which is to say they have a pool and spa facilities.

We stayed in the Bergwelt in April, think it was the last or second to last weekend of the season and we got a really good deal booking direct and got a free upgrade on arrival, it's one of the best hotels I've stayed at-ski or not. Really it was like eating out at a very good restaurant every night the food was that good. Obergurgl is very popular with families, There's nothing particularly challenging but so nice long reds.

I got a guide for 1.5 days while the wife enjoyed the spa and took a break, and had a blast. I usually spend the minimum on accommodation as when on a ski trip it's just a bed and hot shower I need but like to make it more enjoyable for the wife and it's easily the best ski 'holiday' I've had.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did Solden a couple of years back with a 7 & 10 year old.

Stayed at the Hotel Garni Granat - next to the leisure centre - good spot and the leisure centre use is free i think.
Ski School - Yellow Power - excellent tuition and instructors. You meet the school at the top of the Giggijoch gondola - so its very easy and gives you loads of time to ski as you are already up the mountain. They'll do lunch with the kids or tell you which hut they are headed to and you can meet them there.
Atmosphere and apres were incredible - loved the umbrella bar at the bottom of the lifts (part of the hotel - cant remember its name)

Use the ski lockers at intersport or Sun Up sports near the giggijoch gondola to save carrying gear everyday.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you guys I'm leaning toward Solden as its giving me more accommodation options where is the most convenient place to stay?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@romeowner,

As above IMO stay near the Giggijoch gondola
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@romeowner, as previously mentioned in Solden there are two main upifts from the town up onto the mountain. The Giggijoch (as you enter Solden) and the Gaislachkogl (as your leave Solden in the direction of Obergurgl). Our accommodation was close to latter but I don't imagine either is any less convenient than the other for getting on the mountain. I'd confine your search to accommodation which is in easy access of either of these if you want the convenience.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@romeowner, if you are going to use one of the ski schools for your children stay as close to the Giggijochbahn as you can, as most of the kids schools are based up there. It can be pretty hectic in the period between 9:00 and 10:00 in busy periods so either get up there earlier or book your children's ski lessons to start later if you can.

I always stay at the other end of town, but getting from the top of the Gaislachkoglbahn into the main system is not always easy if people are not too confident.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you everyone Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@romeowner, I can recommend the Hotel Tyrolerhof which is located close to the Giggijochbahn. It also has a great Apres bar called Grizzly which is part of the hotel which would be suitable for your daughter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How expensive is Solden and how hard is it to get there? I don't drive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@madlondoner, it is as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it. I've stayed in a couple of B&Bs where I paid 25 Euro a night and then I've stayed in others where I paid over 100 Euro.

Getting there with public transport is relatively easy depending on where you fly to but it could be a bit of a drag if you fly into somewhere like Munich
latest report
I go to Solden at the end of season now and then, if I like the bands they have playing. Easter is generally, I believe, the end of the season for most places there. The formal "closing party" may be later, Easter but is the last time everything is open.

To get there I generally drive from Munich - Innsbruck would be closer but those flights stop before I need to go there. I've also done it from Friedrichshafen, a bit further. I hire a car and drive, other approaches will work. You can drive without a Vignette if you pick your roads. Watch for speed traps especially around the border crossings.

Solden is one of the more snow-sure places thanks to the glaciers - you can always ride there even on closing weekend.

Apres ski... they're crazy Austrians, so expect euro pop and revolting cigarette smoke. I've not been hugely impressed with the restaurants but there are plenty to choose from.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy