Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sickness (Motion Sickness) advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

It Reberty last week my girlfriend who is a great skier and has often skied in blizzards and white outs with no problem started getting motion sickness. The first day it happened we though she was sick with a virus. But two days later the same thing despite feeling 100% fine on the lift up, she was feeling sick within a few hundred metres (amd had to leave me to board the powder on my own!)

So my question is has anyone found a good cure for it in terms of tablets or anything else?

We googled it and found its a known problem - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_sickness

Ski sickness or Häusler's disease is a form of motion sickness which is suffered by some skiers when weather conditions are bad. Poor visibility in heavy fog can bring on the condition as well as psychological factors such as fear of heights or fear of mountains. High speed and falling may also contribute as when descending rapidly atmospheric pressure changes in the ear from high to low altitude.[1] Symptoms are similar to other sicknesses brought about by motion and include: dizziness, headaches and nausea and in more extreme cases vomiting.[2]

In whiteout conditions the brain is unable to accurately determine orientation or movement. The condition is caused by the rhythmic turning motion of skiing and other effects such as a reduction in sensory feedback from constrained feet.[3] In 1995 Rudolf Häusler of the University of Berne was the first described to suffer from this disease. [4] Ski sickness could affect up to 10% of skiers.[2] Professor Häusler found that over-the-counter prescription medicines for motion sickness relieved the symptoms for most sufferers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Previous topic here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59447

Has she got quality goggles to improve her vision in low visibility conditions? I ask because a quality lens could help her with depth perception and reading the terrain. Maybe avoid higher level bare mountain tops and head for the tree lined slopes for more slope definition...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 4-01-16 11:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And another: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12005
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was it in good vis or bad?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How very odd. The only time I have ever been ill with sickness and altitude was when I stayed in Reberty. Cracking location but was rough all week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I get same symptoms. I tried various over the counter meds from UK chemists but none worked for me. Also tried ginger to no avail.

Eventually found that Dramamine less-drowsy. It's a US med and the branded version is quite expensive to source in UK. The active incredient is Meclizine 25mg and a generic can be sourced from US pharmacies via eBay at a fraction of the price.

It works for me for skiing and sailing but doesn't seem to work for my daughter.

Think the only option is trial and error until you find one that works for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stugeron works for me sailing offshore and for me at least, doesn't cause drowsiness though it does cause a dry mouth. It builds up in the body and you need to take it well before you start feeling sick. Some sailors also swear by various skin patches but I've never tried those myself.

Cold and anxiety can play a part in motion sickness too and to some extent, if you worry that you will feel sick then you will. I'm not saying "it's all in the mind" but there can be some element of that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for this so far. It was in very low vis (but no worse than she had been fine in before). Given the lack of snow last week there wasn't any snow in the treelines...

We tried swapping her googles for mine which had better low light lenses to see it that improved things but it didn't.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I get this as well and use a swiss prodcut, itinerol b6, which i think is very similar to stugeron - but has caffeine in it as well. Helps me hugely as i was totally unable to ski on white out or foggy conditions before this.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RobertCroydon, I suffer too.

I generally won't ski in a white-out if I can avoid it and I can't find any trees (trees for me make all the difference and if it's snowing that hard that's where you'll find the powder.

What helps for me is doing lots of short turns as that gives a better sense of the terrain through the feet and skiing close to/following someone as that gives an impression of orientation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobertCroydon wrote:
Hi

It Reberty last week my girlfriend who is a great skier and has often skied in blizzards and white outs ......

Wow. I have only once twice skied in anything approaching what I would call a blizzard - horizontal, driving, bitingly cold snow and near white-out (and a real test of your clothing). I most certainly wouldn't seek to ski in that sort of stuff voluntarily. As for whiteouts, I really only remember just once when I couldn't see the snow under my feet, or any terrain reference ahead whatsoever. What I could see was our guide (who was wearing a bright orange jacket) just ahead of me seemingly skiing in mid air. How on earth he knew where he was is beyond me - it was before the days of GPS. It was like skiing in a video game following a blurry skier on a white screen, and was very spooky indeed. Blizzards and whiteouts are serious - your girlfriend has been very unlucky to have skied through them often.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Happens to me from time to time. I have no idea why on some days I can ski in white-out conditions, whilst on others I really suffer. I think it's a bit like migraine; there's definitely a trigger going on but what it is I don't know. In the worst case (cloud came down suddenly when high above Avoriaz) I was sick, sweaty and cold as I got down off the piste. I had to go back to the chalet and sleep the rest of the day. Just like a migraine attack, but with no vision distortion and no headache.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I get the same thing, and interestingly the worst time I've had it was also in Reberty. For me it usually happens on the first day or two of the trip (so possibly there is an altitude component), and can occur even without dreadful visibility, but poor visibility makes it a lot more likely. Things I do to manage it:

- Only have a light breakfast and lunch. This can be difficult when staying a fully catered chalet!
- Stay well hydrated
- Stay cool (i.e. don't overdress, and make sure I take layers off as soon as I feel I'm warming up)
- Coffee
- Take plenty of breaks (see coffee) especially if I feel the symptoms coming on. If I sit for 10-15 minutes I'll then usually be able to carry on.
- More gentle skiing. On a day when I'm feeling bad I'll just stick to very easy terrain (ideally with some visibility) and work on some drills or enjoy spending time with someone else in the group who prefers that terrain rather than trying to push myself.

I've not tried medicines etc. The above works for me and is mainly just stuff I'd use in any situation where I was feeling motion sickness. White out conditions are by no means guaranteed to cause it so I don't avoid them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had similar issues myself and the thing I need is a reference point to keep bearings - this could be trees, piste marker or best is person skiing in front of me.

Not nice feeling and sympathise with any one who gets it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and one more thing: follow someone else rather than lead when skiing. It makes a huge difference to watch their feet and skis: your brain is able to do marvellous things to deduce the terrain and avoid the confusion that results in the motion sickness.
snow report
I suffer too, its so bad I have nearly thrown up on slope. Wife finds it very funny. I have found the best solution. I have 2 solutions, I head to lower tree covered slopes or or I go to the pub and I drink beer.
snow report
Boris wrote:
Had similar issues myself and the thing I need is a reference point to keep bearings - this could be trees, piste marker or best is person skiing in front of me.

Not nice feeling and sympathise with any one who gets it
+1 Sometimes, though, when the person in front stops, and then I do, dizziness ensues and I fall over at their feet. Embarassed It's that weird thing that, even if you've stopped, it feels as though you're still moving.
snow conditions
Yes its all about loss of depth perception. Two years ago on the Stubai Glacier a friend became very ski sick in blizzard conditions. He admitted he had recently had laser eye surgery, but one eye adjusted for long distance and one for short distance rolling eyes so in reduced visibility he lost all depth perception.

Hi only solution was to watch the feet of the person in front and not look up. Little sympathy from us as it was deemed self inflicted.
latest report
I suspect e.g. Reberty bad for it as it's all or mostly above the tree line and reasonably high so if it's snowing you're likely to be in cloud and snow with no trees.

Perfect conditions for the problem.
snow report
achilles wrote:

Blizzards and whiteouts are serious - your girlfriend has been very unlucky to have skied through them often.

On the lift at the top of Kvitfjell in Lillehammer last week. Very low clouds/fog coupled with freezing snow/rain that formed a layer of ice on everything including your goggles. Not the best of conditions.

[img][/img]
ski holidays
I'm curious. Do those saying they suffer also suffer from sea sickness? I do, there does seem to a link.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, yep
ski holidays
My wife uses Stugeron from the pharmacy, with good results.
snow report
following with interest, its only happened to me once before but one one bad day last season i was sure that i was going to fall over when i stopped as it felt like i didn't know which way was up!! i too suffer with sea sickness and will no longer take the ferry over. I'll add the Stugeron to the packing list
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
I'm curious. Do those saying they suffer also suffer from sea sickness? I do, there does seem to a link.

Absolutely. I suffer from motion sickness on pretty much every type of boat except for speed boat. I even have to take travel sickness tablets when I go surfing (no joke). I also get it bad if i'm sitting in the back of a car or anywhere on a coach/bus, unless i'm sitting in the very front seat where I can see the horizon clearly through the windscreen.

I'm also absolutely useless at theme parks. I can usually manage 1 ride and then I feel sick for the rest of the day.

Last week I had a go in a Formula 1 simulator and had to get out after only 10 minutes, because I was about to chunder!
snow conditions
@kieranm, thanks that's helpful.
ski holidays
@RobertCroydon, This effect is very common in the Les Menuires area...

Sensitive aesthetes are nauseated by the brutalist 1960's carbuncles.

I prescribe a trip to Alpbach or Saas Fee immediately to remedy the issue.
snow report
Ginger is really good at preventing sea-sickness without the side effects some people experience with Stugeron (sleepiness). Kwells are good too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find even the site of Sturgeon makes me feel pretty queasy.
snow conditions
I get this really bad. I don't get any other kind of sickness (air, travel whatever) but as soon as i hit whiteout conditions it starts in my head like my eyeballs are moving, even though they're not, then I get dizzy because my eyeballs feel like they're moving, then I get wobbly and can't concentrate or focus on what i'm trying to do. I hate whiteouts, never ski in them. I'm more alright if i can see the next piste pole, or a tree lined run, but above the tree line, in thick cloud or without markers i'm a goner.

But never found a cure for it. I just avoid it.
snow report
@Mountain Addiction, The bit that scares me is the total loss of sensation of uphill and downhill. Been on skis and feeling awful and turn my skis to stop, I think I have stopped but then suddenly realize I am going back downhill. I just hate it. I don't stay out in on but just to head out of it I have learnt to keep eyes looking low and watching skis/board in front for some form of ground sensation.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, I find sturgeon that's gone off makes me very ill.

@thefatcontroller, watching your own skis/board is rarely/never? a good idea. Better to find someone to follow and watch them.

But. Ugh. My least favourite thing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy