Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost Wallet in Resort

Poster: A snowHead
All,

Have any of you ever lost your wallet / something else in resort and ever had it returned once you return home? I got off the transfer coach yesterday and realised my wallet was missing. I think it fell out my pocket in the Chalet while I was waiting for the coach to pick me up but the chalet say they can't find it. I checked the coach but nothing. I have cancelled all cards etc but obviously lost my cash and NEW wallet the missus got me for Xmas.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I lost my mobile phone recently and thankfully had it returned by the good samaritan who found it. (Not the first time it's happened either... Embarassed.)

Having discussed this with loads of people, the consensus view is why would you not do the right thing and return something that isn't yours?

Everyone I've spoken to says they would hand in a phone, wallet etc - so there may be hope yet...Good luck with that chrisrawles Confused

On a related note, I once picked up a bulging wallet on a transfer coach. A man had stood up and left it. I caught up with him and tapped him on the shoulder. He took the wallet in complete silence without changing his expression. Nowt so queer as folk eh rolling eyes?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I left my phone on the train. Apart from the financial loss it would have been a complete PITA having to change multiple email credentials. Someone picked it up, rang the last number called which was my home and I collected it from 20 miles away the following day. There are good people around.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lost my wallet whilst skiing in zermatt a few years back whilst skiing an off piste itinerary , reported it to local police and they said it would be definitely returned if and when found in the summer , and yep three months later it was posted back to me , less 10% finders fee ( standard practice in switzerland ) . ring local police/ gendarme and report it and you never know youre luck
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've left wallets and mobile phones behind in loads of places all round the world Embarassed They always come back to me Very Happy

BUT… if the cash + cost of wallet is higher than your excess, you probably do want to phone your insurer...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found a bundle of notes (100€ notes) on the floor of a bar in St Anton and handed it in behind the bar. I got free drinks all night for my honesty and when a very pale man came in asking if anyone had found some money and they handed it back to him - I got a rather too long hug and the offer of more drinks

I'd always hand things in and help return properties to others, regardless of whether others do or don't.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not in resort but my mate lost his wallet at Glastonbury a few years back. Reported it to lost property (he actually grumbled about it but me and the other guy we were with said it was worth it). It was delivered to his house a couple of weeks later, money and cards etc. still in it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am Shocked ! My (grown-up, allegedly) kids have lost many phones between them over the years, as well as the odd wallet. None has been returned, but then they lost them all in England rolling eyes .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One morning at about 4am on the Argentiere glacier a friend who was struggling with his crampons in the pitched dark dropped his wallet with a lot of cash in it. After a day's climbing we popped into the refuge we had stayed at to collect some stuff. The guardian told us a man had found his wallet on the ice. The guardian had told the finder, that the wallet's owner had stayed the previous night as the name in the wallet matched a name in his register. The finder declined to leave the wallet at the refuge but did leave contact details. On our return to the valley my friend rang the finder and thanked him, unfortunately the finder had returned home to Switzerland but would be back in Chamonix in two weeks, when he duly returned the wallet.
In the mean time we had been buying our friend all his beer, which is why I still remember it. Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 3-01-16 14:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Left my mobile on first ski trip on the coach from Turin to Montgenevre. Our rep in resort contacted his manager and the coach driver had found it. Got it back by the end of the week but not before the resort manager had been woken by my alarm which had been set for some ungodly hour due to our early flight. Some beer tokens were given in appreciation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Left a wallet in the Diable restaurant at Les Deux Alpes some years ago. It was returned to me untouched the next day - complete with cards I had had to cancel in the meantime, of course, but I was grateful, and it saved me a lot of hassle.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's why I don't bother locking my phone with a pin .... I'ts more likely to be lost than nicked .... and I've found a locked iphone before that we handed in to the tourist office as it was locked so we could not contact the owner.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Husband fell over on the run above the Altiport restaurant in Courchevel last March & realised his phone had dropped out his jacket. A run back didn't find it but at the end of the day we popped into the police office in 1850 assuming nothing but it was handed in Happy I unfortunately lost a sentimental wallet with £200+ cash in it in Changi airport never to be seen again Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My nephew lost a mobile phone on the mountain. A little French girl found it. Her mother rang last number which happily was my niece, who speaks enough French to arrange a handover. One visitor lost the only keys to a hired car on Friday afternoon, having to drive back to Geneva early Saturday. I rang the hire company who told me an ESF instructor had found them on the piste and gave me his phone number so I could contact him and arrange to pick them up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PBJ wrote:
That's why I don't bother locking my phone with a pin .... I'ts more likely to be lost than nicked .... and I've found a locked iphone before that we handed in to the tourist office as it was locked so we could not contact the owner.

Yes this is good advice - I keep forgetting to switch the automatic pin lock off and left my phone on the tube recently so didn't think anyone would be able to contact me. Then remembered if I texted a phone number to the iPhone the first bit of the message is visible on the screen, so the person who found it saw the number and texted back to arrange handover (also have had to instal 'find my phone' Embarassed )

When we were hiking the Haute Route my friend left her phone by a stream late in the day and we didn't think we'd see it again though she deliberately leaves hers unlocked… lovely man found it, rang her parents, who rang me and he met us at 7am the next morning to give it back. A couple of days later we repaid the debt as the owner of the hostel we were staying at had found a wallet that an American man had left the previous day but she didn't speak English so asked us to phone him for her. He then delayed his itinerary by a day so we could hand it over when we got to the next stop. He was very suspicious of the owner who'd found the wallet and phoned us loads to make sure it was coming and all the money ($$$$!) was still in it. The lovely owner had left her contact details in the envelope with the wallet so that he could let her know that he'd received it (she was worried because it had ID in it and she thought he wouldn't be able to fly home without it)… His response: 'Why has she included her contact details, I take it she wants a tip?' Took some of the warmth out of the moment…
snow report
miranda wrote:
His response: 'Why has she included her contact details, I take it she wants a tip?' Took some of the warmth out of the moment…

Strikes me as a touch ungrateful and (possibly jumping to conclusions) perhaps the gentlemen in question was judging her by how he'd have reacted in the same situation. Some people just can't understand honesty and kindness like that.
ski holidays
Someone I shared a chalet with a few years ago lost their wallet containing hundreds of Euros in the bar one night whilst drunk. The barman handed it back to him, complete with cash, the next day when they returned. He was very surprised, but will have spent pretty much all of it in that same bar anyway! rolling eyes

PBJ wrote:

This is not good advice! The iPhone has a function called "Find my iPhone" (you don't even have to install it, just activate it) which allows you to message or brick a lost iPhone. As far as I am concerned, the data on my phone and laptop etc. is far more valuable than the kit itself. I can replace a lost item and restore it from a backup within a few hours, but I cannot retrieve stolen data once it is out there.

If you find one and can't hand it in for whatever reason, maybe just make sure it has power if you have a charger - the owner may try and contact it themselves once they can get online.
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, I know, it was almost like he thought it was some elaborate scam (i.e. she'd deliberately hidden it and then sent it to him) to get him to give her some money Sad One of the first things he said when I called him to tell him that I had his wallet was "God is Great" and he kept saying it… I thought, well yes, but this hostel owner is pretty great too as she's really worried about you being able to fly back to the States when she could have just pocketed hundreds of euros, dollars and swiss francs, and she also gave us a free carafe of wine to say thank you for our help.
ski holidays
I left my wallet on a bus to the EOSB and had it returned to the hotel by a rep of the bus company. I also left my iPhone on a bus to the Birthday Bash, so rang them and they confirmed that the driver had it and would be in resort at 06:00 to return it. Shocked I did go back to bed after collecting it. Very Happy
snow report
The cash in the wallet is less the my excess so at this moment I am taking it on the chin and thankful it was not my passport!. I have emailed the TO so hopefully something will turn up.
latest report
The iPhone find my phone thing also allows you to send a message to the main screen (locked or not) that whoever has it can read - 'call this number xxxxx to return' etc.
snow report
I have twice had a 'dumb blond' moment and returned home from a supermarket to realise I have left my handbag hanging on the trolley after finishing my shop. In both cases a kind stranger has found it and handed it in to the customer services desk. Both times it had my wallet, mobile phone house keys and Kindle in. There are more good people than bad ones out there, and I hope one of them returns your wallet to you.

My husband also managed to lose the key to our hire car out of his jacket pocket (stupid place to keep it) whilst skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm over New Year. Needless to say, we never found that and had to pay to have the spare key couried to us. The courier would not deliver up the valley so we had to use our friend's hire car to drive to a garage on the main road to pick up the parcel at an agreed time. I was most annoyed at losing precious skiing time. Needless to say, I now always make sure any car keys are locked away in the room safe....
ski holidays
I have find my phone with a 'this phone is lost message' now - I put it on after I left it on the tube and then loads of people (iPhone owners themselves) were all 'ooh I wouldn't be putting a tracker on my phone like that'. I have left it on because I'm not that attached to my phone so am frequently having to hunt for it when I need it. I figure they can track us any time they want can't they… Confused
snow report
On Android you can put a contact name and number on the screen lock display.
ski holidays
My cousin found a wallet on the London Underground last year & opened it up to see if he could find an address/phone number to contact the loser. Imagine his surprise when he discovered her address was the same address that our grandparents had lived at when we were growing up. I love coincidences like that Very Happy Good luck @chrisrawles, - I hope it turns up.
ski holidays
I bow to the techies on the subject of pins ! I still don't think i'll use it though although i do have the find my iphone thingy ....
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:

And iPhone using Contactlock, I use this to put my name, blood group and ICE on the lock screen.........
snow report
@chrisrawles, Oh, good luck btw Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:

And iPhone using Contactlock.........

Yes but that will not allow me to spy on my husband Twisted Evil

(I am joking)!

Yes good luck chrisrawles - let us know if you get it back. As you say, could have been worse.
latest report
KenX wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

And iPhone using Contactlock, I use this to put my name, blood group and ICE on the lock screen.........

iPhone has a built in 'Medical ID' as part of the Health app that can have a load of that kind of detail. I have my name, age, contact numbers of my folks and that I'm an organ donor on it and, in theory, it's easy to access by just clicking the 'Emergency' button on the lock screen.
ski holidays
Looked at that, but the finder would have to be smart enough to press it.................
ski holidays
Found a wallet in the gents of The Pig Hotel in Brockenhurst one morning (possibly left from the night before?). Certainly seemed very full of cash although I didn't look in it. I handed it in to reception and got a very confused look from the receptionist... I hope it found its way to the owner.
latest report
Found a wallet in the gents of The Pig Hotel in Brockenhurst one morning (possibly left from the night before?). Certainly seemed very full of cash although I didn't look in it. I handed it in to reception and got a very confused look from the receptionist... I hope it found its way to the owner.
snow report
Quote:
Where do I start with that then? (Further to my earlier lost phone post, I got it back 'cos it wasn't locked/had no pin.... rolling eyes)
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, On the screensaver you can put your name and contact details. The finder then doesn't have to access the phone to contact you. They just call you from theirs. Smile
snow report
I found a ski pass on the pavement in Val d'Isere and handed it in. The following day I lost my iPhone. I tracked it all over the mountain and even went to the hotel where it came to rest. Rang it for days and put a message on the screen but I never got it back. No good deed goes unpunished, as they say.

@Scarlet, I agree with you on that one. As wonderful as they may seem phones are replaceable and/or insured but those photos of me with ******** *** would be out there forever. And as for that Swiss bank account that I set up with the Nigerian General, well that pays for my skiing. Seriously though, it apparently takes around 15 minutes to work out where you live from the data on your phone and as you are on holiday it's a good bet no one is at home.
snow conditions
@henzerani, indeed, and if you have your email set up and logged in, that can be used to reset any password and there's probably enough info to spoof the real user e.g. with the bank Shocked
snow report
Oh… that's sad… lots of nice stories about people returning things and then… but I'm sure you're sensible and it's right to keep your phone locked (which I now do and have find a phone etc.) I do want to say, however, that I have left my mobile phone in the US (multiple times), UK (multiple times), France (multiple times), Switzerland ('just' twice), Norway, Greece and Spain… and each and every time someone has either answered when I rang the phone or just gone into the address book and phoned 'Mum' and it's come back to me (there are some things like house keys that I never lose but I just can't get attached to a mobile phone for some reason) and nobody has ever used my email etc. to try to fleece me. Equally, my current wallet is one that OH bought for me 8 years ago, which I have lost a few times in various parts of the world, the last time being at Nice airport (with €200+ cash in it) - as soon as I sat down on my flight to Barcelona I realised it wasn't in my pocket and literally seconds later I had a text in English and a duplicate in French from a lovely Frenchman who'd found it, got my number off the lone business card I carry, posted it, and it arrived recorded delivery the day I got back. Very Happy
latest report
This is all heartwarming. I've always taken the view that things I've found aren't mine and furthermore, someone will be missing them. So I have always returned them or handed them in. And so it's nice to hear from people have been on the other end. Sadly, it hasn't been my experience. I lost my house keys at the dry slope in Southampton and never got them back, I lost my wallet somewhere in town and never got that back. Lost loads of towels, water bottles, swimming googles and kid's stuff in the gym and never got them back.
snow report
I have received a reply from SkiWorld. They say they searched all over and no joy. This leads me to one conclusion. One of the other chalet guests found it and decided it will look better on them.

I have asked if they have a procedure in place to report this to the local police. The rep on the coach took my details but that was it. I would like to think as a TO they will have contacts with the local police for cases like this. I'm not worried about the money, its more the amount of ID etc I had in it and what people can do with it. Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy