Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Olympic downhill course, Sestriere, has "zero snow" on top - report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Olympic downhill course at Sestriere - due to stage the men's downhill on 12 February - has quite inadequate snow, according to FIS World Cup officials.

The authoritative US website Ski Racing quotes World Cup race director Guenter Hujara, currently in Wengen for the Lauberhorn event this weekend:

"If you ask me, ‘Can I get to the start,' I would say no," he said “It’s not like you have just a little snow. You have nothing.”

Ski Racing reports that FIS officials, who recently visited the site, want to see urgent snowmaking and transport of snow to the course, and coverage of rocks which are considered hazardous.

Here is the full article.

Anyone in the Milky Way area at present, and able to take a look at the location? It would be interesting to know more about this.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Typical Italian planning.

1 gear forward & 10 in reverse.

I wouldnt worry about reports from the Americans they probably like a min 1 metre base, where as the Europeans will ski on a sheet of 5mm ice if neccesary Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are they Americans?

The article only quotes Helmut Schmalzl and Guenter Hujara.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, michelle & linds are out in Sauze at the mo, but i don't fancy their chances of getting on the lift at Sauze, let alone making it over to Sestriere.............i think partying was on the agenda Wink Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They also have tons of snowmaking equipment there and it is plenty cold enough at the moment...........i'm sure they'll have it covered, but will artifical stuff make a different race?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe they're strapped for cash and are gambling on the weather turning lucky, but the FIS guys are right. This is an area of the Alps where extended snow droughts have been problematic over the past decade.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Other half is in Sestriere this week. He says they've had the snowmaking turned on on the downhill course non stop, and it looks pretty well covered at the moment (in contrast to the rest of the resort, which has had it's snowmaking resources diverted to the downhill course).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Turin Olympics organisers (TUROC) have dismissed FIS criticisms of the state of the men's downhill course at Sestriere. They insist that snow preparation for the race is going to plan.

This updated report from SkiRacing.com
The following is part of a statement issued by TUROC:
Quote:
"Thanks to the constant activity of the snowmaking system, to the hard work of the Technical crew (120 military, Ski instructors, volunteers and staff) and the snow brought by helicopter from the Forest Corps directly on the field of play, as of today the operations of preparation can be considered absolutely in line with the program."
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hate snowforcast.com but it is showing quite a bit of snow over Sestriere on Sunday and Monday - I can only get the 3 day forcast. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slightly off piste but it sounds as if the snow is going fine according to the same shambolic plan as Turin Airport's renovation. The place is a mess. Virtually no facilities (not that there were many in the first place...) and looking to be well behind any sane project manager's plan. As for the transport infrastructure...and the signposting...you just have to love the Italians sense of glorious disorganisation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

michelle & linds are out in Sauze at the mo, but i don't fancy their chances of getting on the lift at Sauze, let alone making it over to Sestriere.............i think partying was on the agenda

Sorry to dissappoint Dan but we can do both Toofy Grin

Turin Airport, we went throught it yesterday.
Departures area is extended and finished but still looks far too small.
The arrivals and main check-in areas are a nightmare. As David Murdoch says with now less facilities than they had before.
Due to Ryanair changing our flight times we only had 2 days instead of 3 on the slopes (and we did managed to both ski and party Laughing )
Dan, The new Clotes 4 man chairlift is in but running at half speed as the magic carpet at the beginning hasnt been put down but much better and you can put you skis on Very Happy (will be done after the Olympics)
I thought the runs that are open were in good condition, it was possible to ski from Sportinia to Clotes on both the 11 and 29 runs (leg burn at the bottom) without hitting rocks or trees roots etc.
The snow making was going full blast with low temps -7 helping this.
The links were not open to Sestriere or San Secario and you could get a skidoos over to Sestriere but the local comment was dont bother as it is very icy (whenever I have been to Sestriere it has been icy anyway) and although a trip to Montgenevre was available we were happy staying in Sauze.
I didnt hear any comments about the race surface but the Kandahare (sp) area is always icy.
This will be the second consecutive poor snow season that the area has had and even with the extra money brought in by the Olympics a local was telling me that small buisnesses are finding things hard. Will Sauze and the surrounding area become regarded as somewhere to only venture to on a late booking?
Even with less than ideal conditions the three of us had a great girly time, with vast amounts of alcohol consumed as one does in Sauze Laughing
Plans for Sauze post-Olympics? The freestyle area purpose built for the games is to be turned into a golf course Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Sestriere, and yesterday skied the men's downhill and the Giant Slalom and Slalom runs (and on Friday the ladies' downhill in San Sicario). All are well covered with mostly artificial snow. They'd been running the cannons and working on these continuously since last weekend, to the extent that piste preparation in the rest of the resort has existed solely of driving a piste machine up and down the few runs they had open for recreational skiers. Fortunately, apart from our 50-strong group, there were very few other skiers in the resort so we got in plenty of skiing. There was actually very little ice as there was hardly anyone else there and temperatures have been very cold (typically -14C at 9am) all week.

We did take the bus from Sestriere to Cesana two days, and skied Claviere and Montgenevre one day and San Sicario the other: everywhere was very quiet which was good as the thin cover on the slopes not covered by cannon wasn't being worn out - but all the resorts needs some serious snow.

There are two big new lifts in Sestriere: a gondola up the top of Mt Fratieve(sp?) - top of San Sicario - which was test running but not open to customers, and a cable car from the valley bottom to half way up the Borgata hill - can't think what the point of this is apart from an expensive bus!

The links over the Sauze during the week have as already mentioned been by skidoo (a litttle hairy!), but on saturday the slow single-seater chair was running. The run back down to Sestriere was officially closed, although it was skiable with care to the halfway station: again the cover is thin so any amount of traffic would wear it out quickly.

However, I am glad to see that where we're off in less that two weeks time, has, in the last 24hrs, had more snow than Sestriere has had all winter! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latest reports are that FIS are a bit happier now:

Turin ski courses ready: IOC official

TURIN, Italy (AP) - IOC executive Gilbert Felli ruled out problems of snow cover at the tracks which will host alpine ski races next month, and said Saturday that the courses were ready.

"The Olympic mountains need a snowfall only to offer a pleasant postcard view to the world following the games on television ... the tracks are ready for the races," Felli told the Italian news agency ANSA after an inspection of the ski courses at Sestriere.

Felli skied down parts of some tracks, including the men's downhill course whose condition had been questioned by the International Ski Federation.

FIS said last week that there was insufficient snow cover on the upper part of the downhill course.

"They (FIS officials) have been here one week ago and in the meantime the situation has greatly improved," Felli said. "Thanks to the work of Alpine soldiers and to snowmaking system I could see at least two metres of snow. And things appear to have improved also under the point of view of security."

Felli said that FIS officials will be enthusiastic when they inspect the Olympic tracks again, probably next week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy