Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing has ruined my life

Poster: A snowHead
Today is a significant anniversary date. It was on this day in 2008, that I left the safety of the nursery slope and made my excited (and nervous) way up the mountain on my first chairlift to attempt skiing my first blue run.

But instead of skiing, I took the chairlift back down because it looked too damned scary to ski down from the top and I almost cried.

My sister – damn her – cajoled me back up the mountain and carefully guided me down a less daunting-looking blue run.

And that's where it all went wrong; I was hooked! I changed my lifestyle to afford me as much time on the slopes as possible while still keeping myself in the manner to which I have become accustomed.

Yes, I do obssess a little, all through summer and autumn, about skiing.
And yes, I have to be disciplined about keeping myself free of any debt or real responsibilities so that I can just pick up and leave for the winter.
And yes, I do end up living in a closet-sized apartment in Chamonix in the winter with dodgy cookware and a lumpy bed.
And yes, I gave up my vast collection of beautiful and sexy high heels to make space in my closet for skiing and climbing gear.
And yes, I have become an internet weirdo, hanging out here being one-dimensional.

But, by god, it's been good times snowHead

(I know, I know, nice blog...)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Zero_G, snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AndAnotherThing.., smile all you want, mister, you had a part to play in my junkiedom status! Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So @Zero_G, you in Cham yet?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zero_G, Very Happy

Worth it! And a girl in ski boots/climbing shoes is much sexier than in high heels wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Almost mirrors my own life. Only I couldn't bring myself part with all my high heels
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, arrive on Saturday, just in time for the smattering of snowfall

@clarky999, it takes all kinds Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, it wasn't just the heels. It was also the jewels and furs. And the butler... was painful to give up the butler...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I have said before.

Skiing is an addiction and the only cure is to get high, then get low as quick as possible Toofy Grin

Repeat daily or depression can set in.

Enjoy Zero_G, snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A woman marries a man, expecting him to change, but he doesn't
A man marries a woman, not expecting her to change, but she does

My ex expected me to give up skiing and join her sitting by the pool reading a book but the only "book" I wanted was another ski trip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I first skied at MK 13 years ago at 44 on a work jolly. I now tell my boss at the time just how much money he has cost me. Now having taken early retirement I've just bought an apartment in L2A which hasn't really been decorated since being built 50 years ago. I'm now doing my first full season after 10 weeks each in the last 2 seasons. I've far more friends there now than back in the UK. Am I happy I f*****g well am Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I first skied in 2008 as well. My parents had been once or twice before I was born, but had since preferred to cook me on a beach instead, my mother's thinking being that "skiing is addictive, once you've been you won't want to do anything else." She was right, though I often find her logic a little twisted.

It beats boredom and third degree burns, anyhow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
I first skied at MK 13 years ago at 44 on a work jolly. I now tell my boss at the time just how much money he has cost me. Now having taken early retirement I've just bought an apartment in L2A which hasn't really been decorated since being built 50 years ago. I'm now doing my first full season after 10 weeks each in the last 2 seasons. I've far more friends there now than back in the UK. Am I happy I f*****g well am Happy

#lifegoals... @ClaudeB is my new hero snowHead
I'm 34 now. If I could be living in the Alps in a dilapidated old fixer of an apartment by the time I'm 57, I'd be very very happy Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was 39 years ago for me. Ahem...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@letsgetpiste, +1
latest report
@letsgetpiste, Not dilapidated just needs lots of TLC and money and bringing into the 21st century Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118833
snow report
My wife hates skiing but doesn't mind me going. My son also hates skiing which is really depressing. Fortunately my daughter loves it.

My wife doesn't mind be going away for the odd trip on my own though. Snowheads has been fabulous for finding ski buddies/bashes to go on.
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., smile all you want, mister, you had a part to play in my junkiedom status! Madeye-Smiley Very Happy

My work is done Wink

I recognise most of the symptoms myself, high heals excepted.... Instead I gave up motorcycle trackdays, mostly. The prospect of missing ski season due to injury was too much !
snow report
Mrs G used to keep receipts of our ski trips
We started adding them up once a few years ago Shocked
We decided to shred them, better not to know how much skiing has cost over the years
latest report
Zero_G wrote:
And the butler... was painful to give up the butler...

Sorry to hear that. I re-deployed mine to position of ski valet: who now pre-warms my boots, lays out my skis and hands me my mink and hot toddy on return, takes off my boots & parks the skis and runs my bath.
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:
Zero_G wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I re-deployed mine to position of ski valet: who now pre-warms my boots, lays out my skis and hands me my mink and hot toddy on return, takes off my boots & parks the skis and runs my bath.

You need to complete your Padawan's training full ski service should be mandatory snowHead

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 31-12-15 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I wasn't interested in spending "all that money" on a ski holiday until my parents paid for my first ski trip as a 21st birthday present 29 years ago. I did most of my early skiing in Andorra when the lift system was pants and I did ski school every time for the social aspect as much as any other. I'm about a level 9 skier now, which, considering that I was utterly useless at all school sports, means a lot to me, a sport that I am moderately good at.
latest report
Back in 1998 I had this stupid idea that after graduating university I would go to Whistler a for a ski season and then come home , settle down and be an engineer, well 18 months after my finals I came home to say hi to my folks and do laundry, on my way to Verbier.
I've lived on 4 continents skied in 100+ resorts and now have about 1500+ days of skiing under my belt, but all I own is a 18 year old car and a bunch of ski gear.
Sure the engineering degree comes in useful sometimes - I built all the machines I use to make skis form scratch. When the car (or friends cars) brake down it's only work to fix them not garages and expense.

Why was Whistler so influential ? 98-99 was the last big el Nino year, I skied 90+ days of powder and just had this idea that's what a ski season was supposed to be like and most of my previous ski trips had just been unlucky weather wise.
snow report
@Idris, wow, what a fantastic story! Very Happy
latest report
Ten years ago I did a season in the Alps - four years ago my then BF now husband, and I did another season and decided to move here full time within 5 years.

Smashed it 2 years early. We've been here since Dec 2014 and have no intention of going back. I moved my
job to a more flex/ international role to enable us to live here and Mr NN now has a great full time year round job.
You can do it however you want - you just need a plan.

I have no intention of ever giving up my shoes or furs though.
wink

Oh and I'm 33 and a quarter today Very Happy
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, You must be Adrian Mole. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Startling similarities @geepee,
ski holidays
Think i need to head to the mountains for a season and meet a mountain girl lol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ricklovesthepowder, As @Nadenoodlee said, make a plan...
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, You better put up your own foto and write you true age! (for some girls income as well) Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Think i need to head to the mountains for a season and meet a mountain girl lol

Can you afford a season with the Snow Bunnies ? wink

More importantly can you keep up with them on and off the slope Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
Some fascinating stories emerging here! And little sign of regret from those how made the decision to lead an alpine life Very Happy
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:
Zero_G wrote:

Does he not ski behind you during the day with a quiver of 3 pairs of skis?
latest report
Well done Zero_G! Welcome to "poverty in paradise", as some Jackson Hole residents once describe our lifestyle choices to me snowHead. I'd say skiing ruined merely my promising engineering career, but it has made my life!

My parents remember my "one season only" promise Laughing , after an 80's oilfield slump left me unemployed. That turned into eight crazy winters in Avoriaz, the only cure for which seemed to be moving permanently to a derelict farmhouse outside Morzine, bringing the total count to 31 seasons so far Shocked Toofy Grin .

Freelance project-engineering (building theme-parks around the globe) kept the wolf from the door between seasons most of those years, until mini-Shep came along and a shift to Mrs. Shep's chalet-design business made more sense. Yes a few regrets but there's no dress-rehearsal, so grab life with both hands and follow your dreams wink .

I hope uann introduces us kindred spirits over in Cham sometime! Bonne Saison! snowHead
snow report
Garfield wrote:
Mrs G used to keep receipts of our ski trips
We started adding them up once a few years ago Shocked
We decided to shred them, better not to know how much skiing has cost over the years

The cost is relative to the sheer thrill & excitement of the hill, I too stopped adding up the actual cost, no point as we were going to do everything we could to make it happen, just looking to book a trip early March in Tignes - No school holidays anymore Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@shep Respect, I wasted most of my life working until skiing saved me.
speed098 wrote:
Lechbob wrote:
Zero_G wrote:

You need to complete your Padawan's training full ski service should be mandatory snowHead

Yes I need to send him to @Spyderjohn it could save me money during this period of austerity.

volfy wrote:
Does he not ski behind you during the day with a quiver of 3 pairs of skis?

That's a thought but I would have to dock his wages for giving him ski time and to buy 2 more pairs of skis.
ski holidays
@Lechbob, thanks, but nothing is wasted, it all gets us to where we need to end-up Very Happy . And ending up in Driggs doesn't seem too bad, I passed through Victor a number of times when building the new Grand Teton Visitors Center up at Moose. It's a beautiful part of the world. If I ever get to ski Jackson (I lived there through summer only Sad , 2007), I hope you'll be around! snowHead
latest report
I was 32 or 33 the first time I went skiing... It remains the only thing I would change if I could go back, I'd do a season working a chalet before starting a proper job...

Now 42 and in the middle of taking a year off, managed to negotiate 3 weeks away with my snow hating (pregnant) wife and can't wait - if it was up to me we'd be out for the season, but this is the most skiing I'm likely to get before I retire for good.

And then the first thing on the list will be a whole season somewhere! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Tee hee,

We haven't made quite the same plunge as some but in 2004 did make a 5 year plan to relocate to Geneva. And Mrs U moved out in early 2006... (i tidied up and followed 6 months later)...

And we acquired an alpine property err, business? Investment? Pension?

All has not gone entirely to plan but... I can see Mont Blanc from my bedroom

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 2-01-16 0:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
under a new name wrote:
.. I can see Mont Blanc from my bedroom

Bastard. Toofy Grin Going green Going green wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy