Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chavalier Trip Route Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to go to Serre Chevalier in Feb half term staying in Grenoble on the Friday before heading to Briancon on the Saturday but looking at a route via Gap on the N94 rather than the Modane Tunnel but wanted to know if this is a decent route or one that will likely get closed off? First time in the Southern Alps hence the question?

Thanks for any advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LesAnglais, it is unlikely to be closed off, but it is a long way in comparison to the Tunnel de Frejus. If you have proof of accommodation in Serre Chevalier, you can get a reduced price ticket for the tunnel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info and the tip about the tunnel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
More details here http://www.serrechevalier-reservation.com/en/pass-frejus/fp-pass-tunnel-du-frejus-7201.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from a week in serre. Didn't know about the frejus tunnel discount... A bit annoyed as price is now 44 Euros one way. The discount requires paperwork from your accommodation AND 48 hour email turnaround from the tourist office...we failed to get tickets 'on the day'.
Would also warn that queues can be horrendous. We sat for 5 hours to go the last 5miles before the toll. Just due to volume of traffic. Would have been quicker to go via Gap (back to Grenoble).
Suspect a similar busy week will result in equally bad traffic. Either leave at a l as busy time, or pick a different route... First time I've seen the Red Cross called out to serve first world customers
... Ymmv. Worse was to come... But will have to draft the trip report. Stay tuned!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Via Michelin website suggests that it is the same distance from Grenoble via Gap as it is through the Frejus tunnel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjs, it is a much slower route though (usually), and you don't need to go as far as Grenoble to use the Frejus tunnel, you go via Chambery instead.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, But the OP is staying in Grenoble.

I thought it felt quicker to Gap staying on the A51/E712 to Veynes than going through the Champsaur.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it not possible to go up via the Lautaret on the new road which seems to be functioning now?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philipb, there have been reports of them turning away cars which were not locally registered, but not sure how true that is. @rjs, sorry, I must have missed that when I read it. It is still a much slower route than Frejus, mainly on single carriageway on mountain roads as opposed to autoroute.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're doing the same trip at half term (to Puy St Vincent) and I'm debating whether to take a punt on the new road as reports seem to suggest it is running ok. If not I have to say I'm tempted by the Gap route as it will avoid the, likely, traffic around Chambery and the Frejus tunnel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect it will be very very busy on the relief road at half-term if many tourists start to use it, and it may be precisely when they close the route to all but local traffic.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Gendarmes closed the relief road on the weekend of the 26th / 27th to all but local traffic. According to my very good sources in La Grave the Prefecture announced that will not happen again. If it is closed they will SMS my friends hotel but that's not a lot of help.

I would really stay well clear of the relief road now unless there's no chance of snow / ice.

I think the gendarmes will still close it if weather conditions and traffic volumes i.e on a Sat & Sun dictate as such.

I know that's not really a lot of help, but even the old road would have been a nightmare too last Saturday on what is probably the busiest transfer day of the year.

At least with the Gap route and Frejus route you have two options. Either go very early or late if travelling at peak periods at the weekends in high season.

If going to Puy, Vars and Rissoul you are probably better off with the Gap route but that too can be a pain if the weather is bad.

It was always a gamble with the old road and the Lautaret closing, though I've ever only been caught out twice since 97, but the new relief road and still getting over the Lautaret just raises the stakes.

As I think I mentioned, if you were to stay the night at my friends Hotel in La Grave then you'd definitely be let through, of course that too depends on the weather, and no one really knows how the new road will fair in harsh conditions as there are too many variables.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy