Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich Airport to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, could you recommended best/easiest route from Airport to St Anton, traveling 16th January leaving airport 10am Google maps suggest three routes. Thank you
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Driving or public transport?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Driving
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't remember the name of the pass now, but atm I'd go via Garmisch the Imst.

Samerberg Sue is a better person to ask (I very rarely drive to Munich) and may disagree, but I had a very easy and traffic-less (coach) journey via Seefeld/Garmisch when flying back to/from the Uk for Christmas.

That might change if it snows a lot, but I don't see any real advantage on going via Rosenheim to stay on the motorway, as it's restricted to 100km/h from the border until past Innsbruck now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
over the fern pass if no snow.
along the motorway via kufstein if its snowing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999, either the Fern Pass route, but avoiding the Fern Pass tunnel by travelling through Biberwier or over the Seefeld route to Innsbruck are the best routes. As the 16th is a Wednesday either of the due south route are your best bets.

Going via the A8/A93 should be avoided at all possible costs any time between 09:00 and 18:00 on a standard transfer Saturday, whether it is snowing or not! Actually the A8 is a nightmare in snowy weather, not because of the snow on the road (there is very little), but because of all the punters not used to driving in winter conditions and minus winter tyres (many Dutchies and lots of southern European cars and trucks included). All the main routes are kept cleared in order to keep the traffic flowing, but the A8/A93 is a feckin nightmare due to the sheer volume of traffic! None of us locals would even bother with the motorway in either direction between those hours!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Samerberg Sue, is the fern pass route via Garmish ?? A95
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Samerberg Sue, are there any hold ups because of the new border checkpoints?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thunderer, @sugardaddy,

1) yes, the route goes via Garmisch, but keep an eye open for the signs that direct you off the main road through Farchant to Ehrwald. When the signs indicate Fern Pass right and Ehrwald and Biberwier to the left (you have to go one way or the other), take the left turn and drive through the two villages. You rejoin the main road over the Fern Pass uphill of the Fern Pass tunnel which means you do not get caught in the traffic jams caused by the Blockanfertigung they impose when there is heavy traffic (alternate one-way traffic through the tunnel).

2) There are hold ups for the traffic returning to Germany from Austria, there are no hold ups going into Austria. The worst hold ups are at Walserberg (A1/A10 from Austria over the border onto the A8 at Salzburg) and at the border between Kufstein and Kiefersfelden (A12 Inntal autobahn to the A93 Kiefersfelden to Rosenheim autobahn). There are no checks, as far as I know, at any other of the routes used to cross from Salzburgerland and Tirol into Germany. Whether there are any in Vorarlberg or not I have no idea, but I've neither read any reports, nor have I heard of any on any of the radio/TV stations.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugardaddy wrote:
@Samerberg Sue, are there any hold ups because of the new border checkpoints?
Not heard of any holdups on the Fernpass.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Samerberg Sue, you mentioned the A8/A93 on a Saturday being a nightmare....!!? Plan to travel from Augsburg (over night stop) on a Saturday morning at the end of January, leaving Augsburg about 8am ish. Travelling to Selva in the Dolomites, so would be around Munich 9am ish going South. Would you stay off this route and go a different route? Would like to be in resort around lunchtime. Have all the necessary tyres/chains. So any advice appreciated. ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Simon94, the only alternative I would recommend would be to go through Garmisch in the direction of Innsbruck instead of the A8. That route takes you past Mittenwald and down to Innsbruck via Zirlerberg. Note though that in case of snowfall the road between Mittenwald and Scharnitz is often closed for avalanche danger, and Zirlerberg is steep so can be a bit of an adventure with snow on it. In that case you are probably best just going via the A8 route.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Simon94, you should be OK as far as the A99 on the north-west side of Munich. From there on it could be a nightmare in terms of traffic if you follow the A99 to the A8 at Munich-Süd and then on to the Inntaldreieck (the junction where you leave the A8 to join the A93 to Innsbruck). My advice would be take the directions towards the A96 (Lindau), then follow the signs towards the A95 and Garmisch, then on to Innsbruck and over the Brenner. This means you avoid all the traffic coming down from all points north via the A9 which will be crawling along the eastern side of the A99 then along the A8 towards Rosenheim.

@Steilhang, lots of hold ups at the Fern Tunnel this past weekend due to the ASFINAG authorities instigating "Blockanfertigung". The loop through Ehrwald and Biberwier means you bypass the tunnel which is always where the hold ups are on changeover Saturdays due to the huge volume of traffic heading to and from the A7 at Reutte/Füssen
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Samerberg Sue, I nevergo through the tunnel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Samerberg Sue, @Steilhang, thank you....Garmisch route it is then Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy