Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best mounts & 'essential' add ons for gopro? thanks

Poster: A snowHead
ok so bit the bullet and got 1 of these.
but since then it seems like theres certain things that are essential add ons (extra battery, anti-fog thing? housing case) aswell as the mounts .

so anyone recommend me what are the probable add ons i need and also the best type of mounts?

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rom77, I'm a Contour user, rather than GoPro, so I don't need the housing, but as for the rest of it I'd recommend you start slowly. Do you really want to film so long that you need an extra battery? I'd suggest that you buy a suitable mount (helmet?) and then just see how you get on for the time being.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have a vented helmet strap and a 3-way mount selfie stick. Both useful depends on the type of filming you want to do. Hubby uses the helmet strap to video our son skiing in front of him whereas son prefers using the selfie stick. We have friends who use the bicycle mount to stick it on the end of the ski pole.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Extra battery is useful, not because you want to film that long, but just in case. You only need the pesky thing to go off in your pocket and then you've got stacks on interesting inside pocket footage and a dead battery (not that it has ever happened to me Embarassed )

Monopod stick always give me the best footage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've recently bought some more Batteries and an external charger, i get about 2hrs footage out of My Hero4, some good reviews for Samatree stuff, but can't comment on anything but the charger currently.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013D1Z57U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00&tag=amz07b-21

it's worth looking on Amazon for mounts, you can get a big pack of stuff for around £20 as i believe someone said on a similar thread recently.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd recommend a remote control. I've just got one to use next holiday to reduce the amount of faffing around.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm in the "less is more" group: you probably don't need anything.

If you turn it off between segments (one button mode) then batteries last a long time. If you don't, you will have a nightmare trying to extract the useful bits of footage in post.

You can buy chargers, but they're more tat to carry - it's easier to recharge in-situ.

Skiers mostly seem to use helmet mounts, which you get in the box.

They all come with a "case". Personally I like the frame mount as I don't ride in the rain/ underwater, and it weighs less.

Sticks work well for snowboarders, perhaps less well for skiers (who already have two sticks anyway). You need about 1.5m to get the camera far enough away to capture all the rider, and it's hard to hold any weight out at that distance. Few sticks are long/ light enough.

I think current models can all be controlled by smart-phone. That's less tat to carry and entirely reliable: you probably don't need/ want to mess with it much once you have it set up.

You'll need a memory card, possibly two. For Protune 4k I find a couple of 64G cards last a couple of weeks with space to spare, so you may need less than you think.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So how does this bicycle mount work on the handle of a ski pole ? Or is there something else to use for that?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A spare battery would be first on my list. Chest mount if you don't have a helmet? It's so easy to pick up bits to customise them, I found that once you start using it you'll soon know what you'll need. Get a high quality memory card too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anti fog inserts! Found changing altitude can cause condensation if your using the sealed waterproof housing. Don't buy the gopro ones, cheap ones on amazon work just fine. The first year before I realised you could get these I used rice!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chest harness gives a great angle for both MTB and skiing without looking like a TT................
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
danmar94 wrote:
Anti fog inserts! Found changing altitude can cause condensation if your using the sealed waterproof housing. Don't buy the gopro ones, cheap ones on amazon work just fine. The first year before I realised you could get these I used rice!

and whereabouts it's in housing to you manage to fit the grains of rice?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=274998785999429&set=a.158127224353253.1073741825.100004679280929&type=3&theater
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aborto Risotto rice if I remember haha
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@danmar94, haha....brilliant. I'll give it a whirl, but I think your gopro may be an older version to mine.

Looking at my casing I may be able to sneak a few grains at the bottom, but that's about it.
latest report
3M dual lock
snow conditions
Just bought one of these as I want to avoid the teletubby look!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dakine-Pro-Strap-Rucksacks-Black/dp/B00WNV9ZE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451506596&sr=8-1&keywords=dakine+go+pro&tag=amz07b-21

I've trialled it out on a local hike with my back pack and it works well
latest report
Decent editing program. I have no idea it the GP comes with anything, but there are plenty around at free or negligable cost.
snow report
Also rather than a spare battery, I bought one of these and a long charging wire to go from my back pack to the cam - I reckon this will power the camera for the whole day. I'll film in continuous 10 min slots and buy a few sd cards as I think a 32gb gives about 4 hours or so recording - so 2 will do the whole day. At night I'll re charge the battery and transfer the sd cards to my hard drive and re format for the next day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-20000mAh-Portable-Anker-PowerCore/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451508177&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+power+bank&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Don't use mine much for skiing, but for other activities I've used the GoPro wrist strap a lot.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Don't use mine much for skiing, but for other activities I've used the GoPro wrist strap a lot.

Using a cam with a "Wrist strap" and "for other activities" sounds a bit funny!!
latest report
@essex, I think you attach the bicycle handle bar mount onto the end of the ski pole and use it like a selfie stick.
latest report
essex wrote:
So how does this bicycle mount work on the handle of a ski pole ? Or is there something else to use for that?

The only way it works is if you wrap some tape around the area of the pole where you want to put the mount - basically you need to make the pole fatter, as the handle bar mount can't fully tighten around such a small circumference. I've seen people use thin strips or rubber too.

Alternatively just use a selfie stick.
snow conditions
As a word of caution, I have read somewhere that helmet aren't designed to take camera mounts and therefore if you take an impact to the head it could cause more damage to the skull and brain as a result. Don't know where I read it and have no proof so don't know how true/false this is but it certainly makes you think.....
snow report
NE1 wrote:
As a word of caution, I have read somewhere that helmet aren't designed to take camera mounts and therefore if you take an impact to the head it could cause more damage to the skull and brain as a result. Don't know where I read it and have no proof so don't know how true/false this is but it certainly makes you think.....

I think this came from the Schumacher accident....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy