Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go with non skiing wife and 18-24 month old?

Poster: A snowHead
TL;DR European resorts with activities for my wife and 18-24 month old daughter?

Hi all, first post from me. I've had a good search on here and found lots of great advise and encouragement about going on snow holidays with younger children! However I couldn't find anything about what resorts are best.

My wife is a non skier and usually just chills out in the resort while I go up the mountain with friends. Since the birth of our daughter we are a little less enthusiastic about snow holidays until she can start skiing/boarding unless she we can be sure she will enjoy it too. Can anybody give and advise on what resorts have activities for children around 18-24 month old? We're not bothered about childcare as my wife will be looking after her.

Thanks in advance!

Notes so far from here and other sources:
-UK Flight Time under 2 hours. (Must have)
-Airport to resort transfer time under 2 hours. (Must have)
-Guaranteed snow, as much as it can be, at accommodation level. (Nice to have)
-Accommodation at low altitude. (Nice to have)
-Non skier access to mountain restaurants/Cafes. (Nice to have)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-12-15 15:36; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schladming. Nice village. Lovely swimming pool for wife and child and easy for them to get on the lift up and meet you for lunch, have a play in the snow, sledge etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
downhillalltheway wrote:
Schladming. Nice village. Lovely swimming pool for wife and child and easy for them to get on the lift up and meet you for lunch, have a play in the snow, sledge etc.

That does look nice! I've been to Mayrhoffen and loved it, has a similar feel. Doesnt look like it has self catered apartments though? Apparently thats a must for little ones?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would suggest somewhere with a decent pool either in the hotel, or a public one, a nice town/village atmosphere, pedestrian access to a couple of high restaurants and, possibly, an easy journey into a nearby larger town (if the one you're in is small - you may not make the trip, but good to have the option if the weather's poor). Soll fits most of those criteria (if you're on a package, they'll almost certainly have a Salzburg day trip), as does Villard de Lans; I'm sure loads of places I've not been to would also work.

At 2 (well, 2+2 weeks) my son was playing in the snow on those plastic baby-skis, as well as sledging and spending an hour or so each morning in the pool. I didn't get much skiing done, but it was a great trip, because he got so much out of it. And they sleep so well after a few hours outside!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tgriley wrote:
Doesnt look like it has self catered apartments though? Apparently thats a must for little ones?

Not really - our Soll trip (when son was just 2) was in a hotel, half board, and it was absolutely fine - if you self cater either someone has to cook, and someone wash up, or you've got to go out each evening to find an eatery. Half board takes that responsibility off your hands, although you can still choose to eat out if you wish. Our next trip, when he was 4, was in a catered chalet and that was fine, too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tgriley, http://www.maerchenhotel.ch/fairy-tale-hotel - our first ski holiday hotel. Have a good browse around the website. The resort is easy reached by train from Zurich.

Free childcare and excellent facilities within the hotel so your wife can relax and do her own thing knowing your daughter is having fun elsewhere in the hotel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
I didn't get much skiing done, but it was a great trip, because he got so much out of it. And they sleep so well after a few hours outside!

That's great to hear! I don't think I could really enjoy any mountain time if i knew my little girl was bored out of her skull!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
tgriley wrote:
Doesnt look like it has self catered apartments though? Apparently thats a must for little ones?

Not really - our Soll trip (when son was just 2) was in a hotel, half board, and it was absolutely fine - if you self cater either someone has to cook, and someone wash up, or you've got to go out each evening to find an eatery. Half board takes that responsibility off your hands, although you can still choose to eat out if you wish. Our next trip, when he was 4, was in a catered chalet and that was fine, too.

Currently my wife is making all her food from fresh, but thinking about it by the time she is nearing 2 she'll be eating the same stuff as us so catered options could make sense.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro wrote:
@tgriley, http://www.maerchenhotel.ch/fairy-tale-hotel - our first ski holiday hotel. Have a good browse around the website. The resort is easy reached by train from Zurich.

Free childcare and excellent facilities within the hotel so your wife can relax and do her own thing knowing your daughter is having fun elsewhere in the hotel.

That hotel looks awesome! I cant see prices for 16/17 season yet but searching for march 15/16 its coming out quite expensive (£3k for a apartment), and that's without flights and all the other guff, I guess your paying for the included childcare that we wouldn't use... I'll keep an eye out for when the 16/17 season becomes available, fingers crossed they'll have big early booking discounts haha.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tgriley, I am a bit of a cheapskate - I can't imagine that I paid anything like that (though it was many years ago now) and we went with the 3 Zits at half term!! Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro wrote:
@tgriley, I am a bit of a cheapskate - I can't imagine that I paid anything like that (though it was many years ago now) and we went with the 3 Zits at half term!! Shocked

Oh wow, maybe its because its late notice, looks perfect (piste is a little small but wouldnt care lol). Ill keep a look out for 16/17 prices thanks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did Chamonix when the boy was 5 months, lots to do in town and stunning scenery. Also short flight and transfers, which is a big consideration. Worked well except for the fact skiing is spread out so much harder to get the most out of a short day skiing compared to a ski in ski out style. Gave me the fix I needed though.

Flaine worked well too, short transfer, family resort, not very big but the apartment had a pool, spa and play area. Hotel loaned a sledge too!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gravity-slave wrote:
We did Chamonix when the boy was 5 months, lots to do in town and stunning scenery. Also short flight and transfers, which is a big consideration. Worked well except for the fact skiing is spread out so much harder to get the most out of a short day skiing compared to a ski in ski out style. Gave me the fix I needed though.

Flaine worked well too, short transfer, family resort, not very big but the apartment had a pool, spa and play area. Hotel loaned a sledge too!

I love Flaine! having not had babies in mind the times I've been I wasn't looking out for stuff to do at the base. Was it just the pool and snow that was available, as in was there any 18-24 month old orientated things to do. At 5 months they are still a bit of a patato happy watching the world go buy with some toys, at 1 yr 10 months old (her age late march 17) she might need a little more stimulation?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine was with a 2 1/2 year old. We loved sledging, pool and walks in the snow, bus rides, hot chocolate, trip up the gondola for lunch and family time, but both ski so did short days each and long lunches when we swapped.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zermatt, Switzerland.
Lech, Austria.
ski holidays
Not everyone's cup of tea as the skiing isn't anything like an alpine resort, but I find with a similarly aged little one and non-skiing wife excellent child play areas and everything in one place is pretty important!

https://hotelbania.pl/en/hotel

There are a few restaurants in the hotel (very child friendly), loads of play areas which looked AWESOME (if you're little)...and there's snow tubing, sleding etc too.

They have a bar downstairs which is very near the rooms (little ones welcome, it's all open plan), with anther soft play area there too.

It also has a spa and swimming complex attached with thermal baths.

The downside is that it's expensive for Poland and the skiing is limited...but if your wife fancied a lesson they do have a magic carpet lift for beginners and lessons cheaper than those in the Alps!

In terms of being snow sure, it's low altitude, but they will have at least some runs open, worst case scenario it's the most modern resort in Poland, so they have plenty of cannons etc compared to most!
snow report
Alpbach, 1 hour from Innsbruck, voted prettiest Austrian village 5 years running, goodish altitude, good ski area, great hotels, try Alpbacherhof, got pool etc, ski back to hotel(conditions permitting). A real hidden Jewell in the Tyrol.
snow report
Samoens, have been there several times from when youngest was 2. No skiing to resort but it's a nice town with pedestrianised main square with cafes and all the rest. Easy access via gondola up to 1600m where kids can play in the snow and where there is a selection of 2 eateries and some take away bars. 10 minutes down the road is sixt fer cheval where there is a FREE piste circa 200 x 100 and snow garden to play. As its not a part of a bigger area no hooligans to worry about. There is a small proper ski area on opposite side of the road with a blue, red and a black run for adults at cost ? 15e. You can park near enough on the piste where there is also a restaurant with a terrace overlooking the piste. No car no problem take a bus from centre of Samoens.
This is where my 2 year old had her first ski experience and where my three year old learned to use a button lift. it was a shocking experience to watch the local lifties teaching Le petit roast beef how to use their lift rewarding him with sweets every time he managed to hang on. No shouting/cursing, no rolling of eye balls.....I know unbelievable.
snow conditions
Oh, under 2 hours transfer from Geneva.
snow conditions
vjmehra wrote:
Not everyone's cup of tea as the skiing isn't anything like an alpine resort, but I find with a similarly aged little one and non-skiing wife excellent child play areas and everything in one place is pretty important!

https://hotelbania.pl/en/hotel

There are a few restaurants in the hotel (very child friendly), loads of play areas which looked AWESOME (if you're little)...and there's snow tubing, sleding etc too.

They have a bar downstairs which is very near the rooms (little ones welcome, it's all open plan), with anther soft play area there too.

It also has a spa and swimming complex attached with thermal baths.

The downside is that it's expensive for Poland and the skiing is limited...but if your wife fancied a lesson they do have a magic carpet lift for beginners and lessons cheaper than those in the Alps!

In terms of being snow sure, it's low altitude, but they will have at least some runs open, worst case scenario it's the most modern resort in Poland, so they have plenty of cannons etc compared to most!

That looks perfect for when she is old enough to start learning! 17/18 season I think. For next year I think i'll need a bit more piste Smile. I will look into that one when she is ready to learn Very Happy
snow report
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
Alpbach, 1 hour from Innsbruck, voted prettiest Austrian village 5 years running, goodish altitude, good ski area, great hotels, try Alpbacherhof, got pool etc, ski back to hotel(conditions permitting). A real hidden Jewell in the Tyrol.

Austria is looking promising, the towns look so nice!
snow conditions
PP wrote:
Samoens, have been there several times from when youngest was 2. No skiing to resort but it's a nice town with pedestrianised main square with cafes and all the rest. Easy access via gondola up to 1600m where kids can play in the snow and where there is a selection of 2 eateries and some take away bars. 10 minutes down the road is sixt fer cheval where there is a FREE piste circa 200 x 100 and snow garden to play. As its not a part of a bigger area no hooligans to worry about. There is a small proper ski area on opposite side of the road with a blue, red and a black run for adults at cost ? 15e. You can park near enough on the piste where there is also a restaurant with a terrace overlooking the piste. No car no problem take a bus from centre of Samoens.
This is where my 2 year old had her first ski experience and where my three year old learned to use a button lift. it was a shocking experience to watch the local lifties teaching Le petit roast beef how to use their lift rewarding him with sweets every time he managed to hang on. No shouting/cursing, no rolling of eye balls.....I know unbelievable.

Totally forgot about the rest of the grand massif, a very good shout!
ski holidays
La Clusaz - lovely pool for kids, pretty good skiing up high, very easy transfer
snow report
Several of those suggestions involve quite a schlep between accommodation and pistes. especially if your little one still sleeps during the day your wife could end up feeling isolated. Sure, getting a bus to a lift and coming up to join you might be fun one day. But the weather could be horrible, maybe blizzard, maybe white out. Somewhere where you could easily pop in for lunch and a play would be good. Doesn't preclude trips up the mountain.

Most (not all) kids love tobogganing but for very littlies that's not a daylong activity. They also love being well wrapped up and just playing in the snow. But only till the gloves are soaked and they get cold. Then you want to whip them in and get them warm and changed right away. Somewhere to play in the snow right outside your accommodation is worth its weight in gold and less reliable in a pretty, low altitude village.
ski holidays
Quote:

That looks perfect for when she is old enough to start learning! 17/18 season I think. For next year I think i'll need a bit more piste . I will look into that one when she is ready to learn

They start teaching from 2.5 apparently, so we're planning a trip for New Year 2016/2017, see you there wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Several of those suggestions involve quite a schlep between accommodation and pistes. especially if your little one still sleeps during the day your wife could end up feeling isolated. Sure, getting a bus to a lift and coming up to join you might be fun one day. But the weather could be horrible, maybe blizzard, maybe white out. Somewhere where you could easily pop in for lunch and a play would be good. Doesn't preclude trips up the mountain.

Yee thats a good point, ive only been to flaine and mayrhofen, flaine is ski in ski out, mayrhofen has a 15min gonadal to the 'base' which i dont mind. I think if it where a bus ride too or a much longer lift it would be a nono. Ill have to make sure I look that up for each of the suggested places.

pam w wrote:

Most (not all) kids love tobogganing but for very littlies that's not a daylong activity. They also love being well wrapped up and just playing in the snow. But only till the gloves are soaked and they get cold. Then you want to whip them in and get them warm and changed right away. Somewhere to play in the snow right outside your accommodation is worth its weight in gold and less reliable in a pretty, low altitude village.

My little un seems to love being flew/thrown around at the moment so fingers crossed she'll get into the tobogganing Smile
latest report
Quote:

You won't be disappointed with Alpbach on any level. Apres not mad in this town, just a great Austrian village perfect for a young family. Very Happy
snow report
"Where to go with non skiing wife and 18-24 month old?"

The beach.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've only been once to Alpbach, in January. There would have been no question of skiing down to the village. Indeed the village nursery slope was closed part way through the week - our beginners coped fine with the bus ride to the lift and better snow. The bus service was very reliable but it's not, despite its undoubted charm, a place I'd want to entertain a 2 year old for a week unless there was snow to play in within a few steps of my accommodation, which can't be guaranteed. Having spent a lot of the last ten days entertaining a 3 year old whilst big sister and parents skied, I do have relevant experience. I did a lot with her but TBH I was very glad of CBeebies from time to time.
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
"Where to go with non skiing wife and 18-24 month old?"

The beach.

+1 Crazy idea - do it next year at earliest. Then little one can be introduced to Skiing too.

Only ski hill you should be looking at is Disney's Blizzard Beach https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/blizzard-beach/

Get loads of brownie points and go with mates.
snow report
Go on short breaks without wife and kid, until kid is old enough to ski. You might actually get to enjoy going skiing and then you can focus the rest of your energies on the family!
snow conditions
Daleskier wrote:
Go on short breaks without wife and kid, until kid is old enough to ski. You might actually get to enjoy going skiing and then you can focus the rest of your energies on the family!

+1 Dragging them all out for week can put them off in the long term as I found out.
latest report
@tgriley, long weekend in wengen or grindlewald would be a good bet , we stayed in hotel sunstar in grindlewald a few years back with a wee one , annd had fab time , nice pool , plus great to go up the hill on a train and sledge back down . flying to zurich then train to resort was pretty hassel free .

also went to schladming and stayed at sport hotel royer , which was fab , so thats a good option too Very Happy
latest report
Go to Tenerife and save up for ski trip in 16/17 instead.
snow conditions
@tgriley, Courmayeur. Mrs C and I spent 11 days walking the Tour du Mont Blanc this summer, staying in refuges on the mountain, great views, home cooked food, red wine, good company. Which part of the TMB did she like best? The rest day on Courmayeur. Pretty town with designer shops, ice cream and cafes. Oh, and the Italians love bambinos, especially blonde ones Very Happy
ski holidays
@tgriley, we have been to Serre Chevalier (and Samoens) in similar circumstances. What has worked well for us is going to Serre Chevalier at Easter when the valley villages have been a bit warmer and less snowy so easy to get around with a buggy and/or on foot with a papoose - so potentially misses one of your nice to haves. Some lovely play areas with great views - one near main gate into Briancon is fine for a little one and a really nice place to sit. Briancon town also lovely for a potter and has a great public pool with bubbles and currents perfect for a little one to enjoy (in the lower part of the town). This said, we usually drive and have a car to enable travel up and down the villages although there are buses. Easy for a non skier to come up to cafes on the hill. I personally don't regret carrying on skiing when we had little ones but as others have said on here, helpful to think more in terms of a nice holiday with skiing in amongst other things!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy