Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts with campsites...

Poster: A snowHead
Have just read various books (War & Piste, Belle de Neige, Chalet Boy etc) detailing the life of chalet maids I've now decided that staying in a chalet or hotel may not be my best option and I'd like to try camping at a ski resort. As a nordic style backcountry skiier I find life in a tent at -30 or colder to be no real hardship. I was wondering if any ski resorts have nearby campsites. Options I've found so far include camping in the woods near Ruka in Finland or Colfosco Camping near Alta Badia. Can the Snowhead massif think of any more suitable sites?

Cheers

Bob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I believe there is a campsite in Bourg St Maurice close to the Les Arcs funicular that is open year round.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler has two, one of which I've some interest in. They're both excellent, for different reasons. I'm not sure if they have many tent campers in mid winter, but you can easily ask, and I'm sure they'd not stop you. I'm not sure if the 32 amp hook ups would be that much use for a tent, mind.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wouldn't an apartment be more comfortable if you want to avoid chalet maids.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a campsite in Pettneu, free bus in to St Anton.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Camping Hell - zillertal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Venosc for Les Deux Alpes - le champ du moulin. Has decent bathroom, washing and drying facilities,small restaurant. Not sure about tents in winter but definitely caravans and a few small 'chalets'
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a campsite in Montchavin (one of the La Plagne villages, right next to Les Arcs) which is open during the winter. I've only seen caravans in it in winter but like the others above, worth asking if they'll take a tent (I don't see why not).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a campsite in Samoens. No idea if it's open in winter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are a lot of campsites open in winter and most of them allow staying in tents, but some don't.
I've put up my tent Mayrhofen, Imst, Neustift im Stubaital, Au-Schopernau, Bad-Gastein (camping Erlengrund) and Zell am See in Austria, Fiesch and Les Hauderes in Switzerland, Orcières-Merlette and Bourg St Maurice (at the foot of Alpe d'Huez) in France, Alagna in Italy, and in Voss and Røldal in Norway.
In Engelberg and at Camping Nova in Montafon I was not allowed to stay in a tent during winter season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix has at least 2 that are open year round, possibly more and there will be people camping there in the coldest/snowiest of time, but then again it's Chamonix alpinist/climbing bums are not like normal ski town folk Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is seasonaire campsite by Le Jotty lake ( near St Jean d'Aulps ), although most people live in converted lorries or big panel vans.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why would a man hard enough to spend nights in a tent at minus 31 need a campsite? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Camping Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen - Murren, Wengen and Interlaken.
Camping by Mannlichenbahn cable car in Grindelwald Grund.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite a few sites down in Passy/Sallanches at the bottom of the Chamonix valley. No idea if they take tents in winter.
snow report
Resorts with camp-sites that I know (because we have been there) are open in winter include:

Samoens
La Cluzaz
La Rosiere
Bourg St Maurice (for Les Arcs etc)
Grand Bornand
Pralognan La Vanoise
Morzine (well just outside)
Venosc (as mentioned above)
Allemont (near Bourg D'Oisans)
Gran

There are plenty of others though. The only place we`ve actually seen a tent was at Samoens but I doubt they are prohibited on most sites.

We used to take the caravan, but outside of peak season because fuel is now expensive, channel crossing prices have risen and camp-site fees have gone up, it is as cheap to hire a basic apartment. Taking a tent as opposed to a caravan may of course change that equation. Either way any chalet maid issue would not arise.
snow report
Nice camp site here in Bareges, part of the Grand Tourmalet resort, Hautes Pyrenees (biggest and highest resort in the French Pyrenees with access to the Pic du Midi). It is called http://www.laribere.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy