Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy - Scandinavia - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all

I am looking for advice on ski resorts, possibly in Scandinavia.

OH missed last season due to work commitments and she is willing to ski this season. She is not much confident (5 weeks), but improving...Therefore I am happy to go anywhere not much challenging really...

We have booked a week off work 16 - 24 Jan and have been (was) considering Italy (Tonale - cheap), but as everyone knows snow is scarce everywhere by the looks of it. Imagine getting to resort with icy runs, she will panic!!!
Cervinia looks attractive, but might be a bit pricey. Pila maybe?

Have been thinking about Norway/Sweden, but never been there and have no idea about resorts which would fit the bill. So far we have been looking at Beitostolen and Geilo in Norway.

Flying from: London or Birmingham

Board: half-board (I am okay to go SC and live on pizza, pasta, sandwich; but OH prefers not to cook as we get knackered after a day's skiing, understandably).

We don’t care about luxury (comfy bed, good shower/bath with hot water, fine).

Places we have been thinking (so far): Cervinia, Tonale, Pila, Beitostolen, Geilo

Ideally we would like to spend £370 max (flights/transfer/accommodation HB), then pass, ski hire, etc on top.

What would you guys recommend us and reasons?

Rb51
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't comment on Scandinavia but a couple of hotels come up bang on your price in Tonale with Crystal. The Dolomiti is ok and in an excellent location, if you want something different then La Mirandola is slightly out of the resort up a track, I've heard it's very nice though. I think if the weather is bad (or good from a ski point of view) then a skidoo takes you up to it after the coach has dropped you off!

Tonale has a glacier and at the moment even though the snow is limited in Italy they seem to have a lot of runs availabe. Snow is forcast for the new year - hopefully!

Pretty limited nightlife but decent enough skiing and lift pass, hire and food all cheap. Can do day trip to Madonna di Campiglio as well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon you could do something like this (full board option) and just about make your budget with Ryanair Stansted-Treviso and car hire (ryanair) - all cars in Venetio come winterised by law now.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/albergo-dolomiti-falcade.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-17CAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAS64AQTIAQTYAQHoAQH4AQs;sid=4d370388666b2ec49b05dbe9b3eba55d;dcid=1;checkin=2016-01-16;checkout=2016-01-23;dist=0;group_adults=2;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=2b8ef32265a4fde9bd04125d765736a0f519d001X1;type=total;ucfs=1&

Why? great scenery, skiing, good value and a car would let you get to many other Dolomite resorts if snow was scarse. The SR area had amazing snow making and 680km open at the mo.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All inclusive Hotel Lacandi Locatori in Passo Tonale with crystal ski. Cheap and alright. Heading back for my 3rd visit next month.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
heading to Tonale on the 2nd, got a great deal with neilson £500 flights/transfers/HB/lift pass/ski hire/ morning lessons
just gotta hope that snow dumps on the 31st, mind most of the lifts are open and the glacier is always an option
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@japes1275, been to Tonale twice before and it would be great for the OH as she could rebuild confidence on "known" runs... I have been watching the prices (and they fluctuate on Crystal's website). Apparently there is a new chair lift in the glacier (used to be drag).

@cameronphillips2000, That is a good tip, will have a look at this thanks

@scotspikey, Not fussy about lunch, as we usually have a pizza on day, chocolate bar another, waffle, etc.....But worth considering the all-inclusive (we do not drink much though)

@pirsquared, how did you get this deal??? Neilson's website does not even return anything on Passo Tonale search Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redbaron51 wrote:
@japes1275, been to Tonale twice before and it would be great for the OH as she could rebuild confidence on "known" runs... I have been watching the prices (and they fluctuate on Crystal's website). Apparently there is a new chair lift in the glacier (used to be drag).

@cameronphillips2000, That is a good tip, will have a look at this thanks

@scotspikey, Not fussy about lunch, as we usually have a pizza on day, chocolate bar another, waffle, etc.....But worth considering the all-inclusive (we do not drink much though)

@pirsquared, how did you get this deal??? Neilson's website does not even return anything on Passo Tonale search Shocked

The deals to Tonale do look great on Crystal. Choosing a resort in the Dolomites is a bit of step up in terms of size of ski area, beauty and overall experience. Falcade -Pellegrini is high and fairly large. You can also travel to so many stunning places quite easily too - Drive around to Val di Fass and ski over to Alba and take the new lift right into the heart of the Sell Ronda. All of this on easy runs. Or, if you fancy more of a challenge drive round to the Marmolada cable car and ski Marmolada or Over to Arabba. Or drive to Alleghe and ski Civetta for a day - an absolute gem of a place.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@redbaron51, I have been to Beitostølen a couple of times with Crystal. I did a short report here.

There are two hotels in the resort and I have stayed at both. There looks to be decent snow there now and I think the Crystal prices include the lift pass. Let me know if you have any questions about the resort, or about skiing in Norway generally, and I will try to answer. I know most about cross-country skiing, but I have family who also do lift-served ski-ing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RedBaron, I wonder if they've replaced the 2 man chair across to the glacier with a 4 man - I can't imagine they've repaced the drags on the actual glacier. They might have though.

The only thing I've seen is that they have replaced the round standing only gondolas to the glacier area with new seat type ones.

I wish I was going there now, decided to have a change and go to Sauze in 2 weeks time, I think I'll miss Tonale.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most important for your nervous OH @redbaron51, is good lessons - and you only taking her on runs she's done with the instructor. Who should preferably be a sexy Italian.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Accommodation in Scandinavia runs Sunday to Sunday generally. I would look at Åre, Sweden or Trysil, Norway which are their countries largest ski areas respectively. You fly to Ostersund (via Stockholm Arlanda) for Åre and Oslo (direct) for Trysil. Both resorts are owned by Skistar.

Example on your dates for Åre, SAS from Heathrow to Ostersund, £404 for 2 adults return. Huge choice of accomodation on Skistar.se starting at £102 for the week in Bjornen, Duved or Tegefjall areas. But nothing cheap for Åre village (Åre By) that week apart from one in Nya Lundsgården £250, which is next to the VM8 chair/bubble but 10 mins walk into the village. You would probably be a bit stuck in Bjornen or Tegelfjall without a car as I don't think there is a supermarket. There is a supermarket (ICA) in Åre By and Duved. All areas in Åre are connected by free (with lift card) ski bus. Great for start and end of day for skiing in another area, but too infrequent to pop to the shops.

Airport bus from Ostersund is £24 pp one way.

Only snag is Scandinavia tends to be self catering. There are other posts about the "warm stugas" and cooking over an indoor bbq on the mountain. Or have "the days lunch" (dagens lunch) for £10 or less generally which is generally very good. But you will have to fix yourself something in the evenings. Eating out in the evening in Scandinavia will blow your budget (I will not even mention the cost of alcohol...).. . . .

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 27-12-15 23:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lot of generally's in that post
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beitostolen (Norway) is very much a beginners resort. The max vertical is only about 400m.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@redbaron51, most of sold out, it appears again if you search in fedruary, hotel orchidea is what we went for
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am also adding Pila and Champlouc top the shortlist.

Cervinia seems a bit expensive....

Still trying to decide where to go......

*Some reasonable prices for Chalets in France (need to check the snow forecast, as have been concentrating in Italian resorts)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy