Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELMETs, PLEASE wear them

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Up until this trip, I wouldn't wear a helmet. A wooly hat suited me just fine.

However, Santa arrived early and brought a helmet.

I've been wearing it all week and I'm glad I did.

This afternoon, within 20metres of finishing my final run, I bounced the back of my head off a rock.

Had I not been wearing a helmet, I wouldn't be typing this warning to you all at this time and maybe never.

PLEASE wear a helmet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No thanks.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well said. Where are you?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the moment in LGB Chinaillon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GaryCantley, so guess santa came just in time ?? , but can i ask why you didnt bother with a helmet before this epiphany ??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunno really. Think I saw them as something that those that go off piste or really really fast would wear, neither of these would describe me on a set of skis. Smile I'm not a great skier and certainly wasn't going fast this time. I'm a convert now though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Austria last week and would say helmet wearing now exceeds 95%.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martinm wrote:
No thanks.

+1

Somebody else's accident isn't reason to change behaviour.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It wasn't somebody else's accident that made me change but if I hadn't it would have been my accident that could well see me now laying in a hospital somewhere in the Alps. Yes, the bang was very hard and I have no doubt if it weren't for the helmet, that I would be in bed somewhere that I didn't want to be.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pruman wrote:
martinm wrote:
No thanks.

+1

You are welcome to wear a helmet or not as you see fit and I can think of a variety of reasons why people might not want to, but your comment that 'someone else's accident isn't a reason to change behaviour' is pretty facile. If you follow that logic only car crash survivors would wear seat belts, everyone would smoke like chimneys and so on. One of the things that separates us from pond life is our ability to learn lessons from others
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The week ahead is likely to see more head impacts than ever before in a week in the Alps. There is a severe shortage of snow but resorts have invested huge amounts in keeping runs open. These runs are likely to be narrow, have bare patches and rocks showing and have no snow at thr sides of the pistes. The New Year crowds will all be crammed on to the few open pistes. Reports are already saying that accident rates are far higher than usual. Not wearing a helmet in these conditions would be nothing short of crazy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh! stop it kids .. its Christmas!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pruman wrote:
martinm wrote:
No thanks.

+1

If you've ever been to funeral of a friend, or spoken to a friend who's had to give permission for the life suppport machine of a relativeto be switched off or spoken to a paramedic who's fed up picking up the needless mess, or spoken to a policeman who's had to inform loved ones of a death...... You may well change behaviour.

Eggs don't come in an eggbox for nothing..............
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With the limited snow we don't want it spoiled by people bleeding on it

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 25-12-15 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
Oh! stop it kids .. its Christmas!
+1 And nobody on either side of this interminable argument ever says anything NEW! It's just round and round the same old, same old. (Garfield's post is an honourable exception Laughing )
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
martinm wrote:
No thanks.

+1

This reminds me of a local lad, lets call him Robbie (cos thats his name), who's older brother bought a flash car and promptly totaled it. Upon being advised to learn from his brother's mistake, Robbie replied 'I'll learn from my own mistakes, thanks very much.'

Not the smartest, our Robbie.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
martinm wrote:
No thanks.

+1

Am I alone in thinking that Darwin's theories might have some relevance here?
snow report
When I started skiing again about 10 years ago I didn't wear a helmet, they weren't widely worn the last time I'd skied. It took a few years for me to get around to buying one but after seeing a bad accident and hearing of Michael Schumachers misfortune I decided it was time I got one.

My personal opinion is that I was plain stupid for not getting one earlier.
ski holidays
Just what we need - another helmet thread.
ski holidays
Just what we need - another helmet thread.
latest report
RUGBY PETER

+1
snow report
Let's just all just stop skiing because even with a helmet it's too dangerous.
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
Let's just all just stop skiing because even with a helmet it's too dangerous.

This. For you guys anyway. Also wear one in bed: it can hardly make you less safe.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
martinm wrote:
No thanks.

+1

You'll have your own 'road to Damascus' moment at some point.
latest report
Have to buy a new one now it's been used..................
ski holidays
GaryCantley wrote:

This afternoon, within 20metres of finishing my final run, I bounced the back of my head off a rock.

Unusual fall? I can't say that in 35 years skiing that I have ever bounced the back of my head off anything, let alone within 20m of the end.... however its good to see you are fine.

I might post a thread in a few weeks about how my wooly hat saved me from countless collisions as I had no artificial impairment to my senses.

But then again I probably won't. Going sans lid is my choice and my reasoning won't and shouldn't make any difference to anyone else. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:
Unusual fall? I can't say that in 35 years skiing that I have ever bounced the back of my head off anything
I have, twice. Both occasions involved a big crash where I was flipped up in the air (rather than dropped and slid along the snow), landed heavily on my back and my head snapped backwards hitting very firm snow.

A guy I was skiing with a couple of weeks ago got hit from behind at speed, so I suppose you could say the other skier bounced off the back of his head. Resulted in a mild concussion and a broken helmet.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
nelly0168 wrote:
Unusual fall? I can't say that in 35 years skiing that I have ever bounced the back of my head off anything
I have, twice. Both occasions involved a big crash where I was flipped up in the air (rather than dropped and slid along the snow), landed heavily on my back and my head snapped backwards hitting very firm snow.

I dont doubt it, I just thought the circumstances described by the OP seemed "odd" - sounded like a big hit (like yours), but taken 20m from the end I wondered if there was someone else involved.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nelly0168 wrote:
I dont doubt it, I just thought the circumstances described by the OP seemed "odd" - sounded like a big hit (like yours), but taken 20m from the end I wondered if there was someone else involved.
Who knows, and in a sense who cares? Odd accidents happen all the time in skiing, and if you've got a head injury I suspect whether it was a regular crash or an unusual crash will be the least of your concerns. I don't think that banging the back of your head is that unusual.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
I don't think that banging the back of your head is that unusual.
Its not, but most back of head injuries are beginner snowboarders, most side of the head injuries are beginner skiers, both as a result of where they tend to naturally fall while learning.
snow conditions
What they should do is make them compulsory then at least all these discussions will fade away. I ride motorcycles and one thing that never gets discussed on the forums is whether or not helmets are a good thing or not - we have no choice!
snow conditions
nelly0168 wrote:
Its not, but most back of head injuries are beginner snowboarders, most side of the head injuries are beginner skiers, both as a result of where they tend to naturally fall while learning.
That sounds plausible, but nevertheless both types of slider can bang their head from any direction (when I was young and foolish I foolishly banged the front of my head while skiing).
ski holidays
japes1275 wrote:
What they should do is make them compulsory then at least all these discussions will fade away.
Let's hope not. I think sacrificing a large number of internet electrons is a small price to pay for the freedom to choose what protective kit to wear when skiing.
latest report
japes1275 wrote:
What they should do is make them compulsory then at least all these discussions will fade away. I ride motorcycles and one thing that never gets discussed on the forums is whether or not helmets are a good thing or not - we have no choice!

Hardly the same thing !! It is the law that you wear a motorcycle helmet while on a public highway (not on private land, you can do what you want), because of the risks involved with interacting with other vehicles moving at high speed and because motorcycle crash injuries are regularly catastrophic.

I would put skiing in a similar vein to cycling - both have a number of different disciplines, some of which the user may deem require a helmet.

e.g. If I am Mountain Biking, I wear a helmet - why? I might fall off and bounce my head off rocks, depending on the route.

However I commute to work every day and this scenario is highly unlikely to happen - so I wear a cap (lets be honest, if a truck takes me out, a centimeter of foam aint saving me !)

I cant see how compulsion is a good thing in either cycling or skiing (n.b. as can be seen from the above, I am not "anti helmet", just anti compulsion).
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Can someone put this annual debate to bed. Does anyone have a link to real data, peer reviewed that shows unequivocally that the incidence of head injury has gone down in proportion to the increased use of helmets.. It must be out there somewhere. Then we can move on from anecdotal "evidence" and "it's obvious innit" reasons to wear a helmet. Personally I think it's down to personal choice but some real numbers would help inform that choice as it does for smoking or motorcycle helmets, for which loads of data are available.
snow report
@MikeM, I agree it's personal choice, but I'm not sure that overall data for head injuries and helmet use is much use in helping me to decide when to wear a helmet and when not (and it certainly won't settle this perennial discussion). If I've banged my head have a mild concussion and have lost two days of skiing it really doesn't make any difference if global injury rates are going up or down. The factors I assess when deciding if I'm going to wear a helmet are all personal - how I'm going to be skiing, what I'm going to be skiing, what are the conditions, etc. Whether there is an overall decrease in kids' head injuries when they are in ski school does not inform my decision.
latest report
IF your head is hit / hits something hard, a helmet will prevent or reduce an injury (though in Michael Schumachers case, I would rather not have been wearing a helmet) none but the deluded can really argue against this.
I am greatful that I can choose not to wear a helmet and others can choose to do so, I choose not to because

I have tried skiing with a helmet and hated it, hot, itchy, bulky, my balance seemed to be affected and generally took a huge bite out of the enjoyment of skiing.

The risk for me, is low, 0 head injuries in ~80 weeks on skis.

This year I had one of the worst crashes of my skiing life, a forward flip, landing on the back of my head and shoulders on piste, the weight of the rest of my body bent my torso almost double, so close to giving myself a whoopee!!. The piste was in average condition so soft enough to not injure my head but I spent the rest of the holiday needing pain killers for a sore neck and ribs.
Had I been wearing a helmet, my head would have been bent further forward by the thickness of the helmet before my shoulders took up the impact, also, the impact on my neck was reduced by my head penetrating the surface of the piste, a helmet, being much bigger than my head, would not have penetrated the piste as much and further increased the impact on my neck.
ski holidays
@rob@rar. Interesting viewpoint and not one I would disagree with. I've been looking around the web since my last post and it appears there is as mixed response with studies. Some state that serious head injuries have gone up in the last decade whilst minor injuries have gone down. Some state that although helmets prevent serious injury their use increases the probability of risk taking thus the overall rate doesn't change or indeed has gone up!. One thing they all seem to agree on (as far as I've read) is that use of helmets in children (under 16) has resulted in a lower rate of injury. So, I'm none the wiser in spite of "doing science" and l'll bow out of this debate and just stick to a personal preference, allowing others to do the same Very Happy
latest report
so, wore a helmet for the first time in ages last week, it was so hot I was sweating buckets and just had to take it off

Anyone know of any helmets that provide good ventilation / air circulation that will help prevent sweating
latest report
japes1275 wrote:
What they should do is make them compulsory then at least all these discussions will fade away.

If the discussion bothers you so much, why are you reading this thread?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy