Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamrousse Stay or Go

Poster: A snowHead
We have booked to stay in Grenoble and planning to learn to ski at Chamrousse. We are all beginners and have not pre booked anything. Looking at the snow forecast things do not look too good and we are a little worried. Is anybody currently at this resort, do they have snow cannons and green runs, or do we cancel as I have heard that it's tough on breathing the higher you go? Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@louiscrow, When are you going?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm popping up to Chamrousse later, I'll take some pics but I'm not going to ski. There are snow canons but it is too hot to run them most of the time. There are talks of the resort closing after New Year though if it doesn't snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you, appreciated so not great then.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am presuming that's all resorts an hour from Grenoble as well. Looks like we will have to cancel?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking at the nine day forecast, temps are forecast to drop across the Alps from Tuesday with some snow Thursday and Saturday. However as Chamrouse is generally low, this may include rain Sad

There is further snow forecast into the following week but as that is so far out, any forecast will be unreliable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Stevee thank you, I am happy to drive anywhere from Grenoble really and coming back on the 2nd due to school.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Stevee thank you, I am happy to drive anywhere from Grenoble really and coming back on the 2nd due to school.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alp d,heux ( poss not best spelling) & les deux alps are poss 1 hour away and high up.
We have been in Verbier and above 2200 was good there so hopefully that may transpose to elswhere, have a look at their weather 0 ºC should be ok gor beginners and snow cannons.
We spent our first ski holiday in Alps d, heux ( Alp de way is a close pronounciatio..) and it was great for us, although in far better conditions.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Claude this Sunday 28th to the 2nd.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
filmed this earlier

http://youtube.com/v/X6hfqxg7-IU

I didn't look at Bachat Boulod which is the traditional beginners area but there is skiing but the south facing slopes have suffered a lot. Chamrousse pistes are above 1650 meters. I wouldn't swap to l'Alpe d'Huez as the beginner pistes don't look to be in good condition - just tired ribbons of snow. They've moved the camera so you can't really see the pistes that well but the Grandes Rousses range has had a lot less real snow compared to the Belledonne where Chamrousse is located:

http://www.alpedhuez.com/fr/ete/menu-header/webcams.html#webcam1
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you davidof
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And thank you Noisey
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
les 2 Alpes isn't too far from Grenoble and has beginner slopes on the glacier.
I'd see if there was any accommodation there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree that Deux Alpes would be the best bet if you can book accommodation and ski school.
ski holidays
The glacier is a bit tough for complete beginners tbh, it's also likely to very busy up there next week though with little else there decent. I think the Viking beginner slope at resort level is in use atm though. I'm actually briefly back in the UK but was there until Tuesday morning.
snow report
The key will be to book ski school for everybody. Don't leave that to chance. Instructors will find the best slopes for you and you'll get lift priority which is especially useful in the new year crowds.
ski holidays
The only problem with les Deux Alpes is it doesn't seem to have much snow, which is always a bit of a bummer for a ski holiday. If you want to learn on a small strip of man made it is maybe better to go to the snowdome.

http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/webcams.html
snow conditions
@davidof, There's plenty on the glacier which is a feature most other resorts don't have. Below that I agree it's not good. I guess the glacier will be rammed next week too. Kind of glad I reluctantly came home for a couple of weeks Cool
latest report
Claude B wrote:
@davidof, There's plenty on the glacier which is a feature most other resorts don't have. Below that I agree it's not good. I guess the glacier will be rammed next week too. Kind of glad I reluctantly came home for a couple of weeks Cool

The glacier is fairly steep for beginners, there is a chair but otherwise it is T-bars which I wouldn't wish on any beginner class - although always a good laugh to watch and send the videos to the TV afterwards Happy. Then there is a 30 minute up and down lift to get there + the lift lines. To me, it doesn't really seem like a good place to go with the current conditions. The ski village is better than Chamrousse.

I would say that snow is better in the Savoie resorts compared to the Isere at the same altitude and if I were forced to ski, that is where I would go. Probably Val d'Isere as there is some good skiing at altitude, this yesterday:

I don't know how the snow will hold up next week but you've got a few off snow activities at Chamrousse if that is where the OP decides to go. The walk up to the Lac Achard is excellent as are the walks around the Nordic area which is closed for cross country skiing at the moment. It would be worth taking the shuttle down to have lunch at the Saliniere restaurant (excellent tarte au girolles). They are doing dog sled rides on the plateau d'arselle as well.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy