Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trips from Niederau?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Off to Niederau for a couple of weeks tomorrow, and what with limited conditions I was trying to plan some "away days".
We will have the car with us, so can travel some distances, and will have the Allstar pass (http://www.allstarcard.at/de/skimap.html), so access to a variety of resorts.

Have any of you wise lot got recommendations for days away??

Cheers
Matthew
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, it's a bit of a journey, but there will be snow at Kitzsteinhorn. Probably crowds too.
Also, I had a great time in Saalbach last year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i did exactly the same last year based on Maishofen
but as long as the other resorts are not completely open, Kitzsteinhorn will be extrem overloaded
but worth a try
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A lot can happen in a couple of weeks with weather if that's what your worried about.
If the snow is in short supply the glacier queues will be a right pain.
I'd head for Hintertux rather than the glacier at Kaprun though.

Buts lets look on the bright side .. it will snow heavily night before you go.
Please don't let Niederau put you off Austria though, there is plenty of great skiing down the road up from Hopfgarten.

Actually there is quite a lot of Skiing further down the valley where you can travel quite a long way into the linked valleys ... I didnt do it myself as my wife is a very timid skier and the weather was crap.

I hope the snow arrives for you and you can enjoy without taking the car out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As DrLawn says, the SkiWelt at Hopfgarten is the nearest place for an excursion (not counting the small area at Kelchsau - not sure whether that is open just now). Westendorf isn't much further. After that comes Kirchberg/Kitzbühel. Fügen or Kaltenbach in the Zillertal would also be possibilities in the other direction. Those seem to me the practical trips (I haven't checked current conditions at any of them). If you are happy skiing manmade strips of snow, you should manage without needing any glaciers (and the Kitzsteinhorn would be a long way to go). I too trust that new snow will be coming around the beginning of January (though that might be too late for you). Enjoy your holiday, Matthew!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jellemr, I'll be staying not far from there starting Sunday. To be honest, having spoken to my local friends, looked at all forecasts, I'm resigned to having a festive mountain holiday rather than a skiing one because the outlook for the whole week is warm and mainly sunny with perhaps some rain - and the freezing level up around 3250m. The glaciers will doubtless be mobbed and I've known Tux to restrict access to people with guest cards from the Zillertal only when surrounding areas are lacking snow - they stop you and make you park just past Lanersbach from where you get the bus but maybe New Year will be way less busy if the German market doesn't bother to show up. Hoping the upper slopes of north-facing places like Soll and Westendorf might still be ok but not keen on crowded worn pistes so will take a view on day 1.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
espri wrote:
As DrLawn says, the SkiWelt at Hopfgarten is the nearest place for an excursion (not counting the small area at Kelchsau - not sure whether that is open just now). Westendorf isn't much further. After that comes Kirchberg/Kitzbühel. Fügen or Kaltenbach in the Zillertal would also be possibilities in the other direction. Those seem to me the practical trips (I haven't checked current conditions at any of them). If you are happy skiing manmade strips of snow, you should manage without needing any glaciers (and the Kitzsteinhorn would be a long way to go). I too trust that new snow will be coming around the beginning of January (though that might be too late for you). Enjoy your holiday, Matthew!

I would also look at going the other way from niedearau and skiing auffach/alpbach. More than enough for a good day on the hill - provided it's got some snow..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. Much appreciated.
Kindof confirmed my thoughts, alphach/auffach for a local day (seems to be some skiing there currently), and then hopfgarten for access to the ski welt. I also quite fancy a day in fugen/kaltenbach, another at zell and also saalbach. I'm sure there'll be enough for us to do, and fingers crossed some colder temps and perhaps snow from next week ish.....I hope!!

Whatever, I'm sure a fortnight in the pretty mountains, drinking the local ale and dancing to Europop with the lovely Austrians is better than a fortnight at home!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're in Niederau right now and have been since 20 December. We've had a great holiday which is surprising us since we thought it would be a bit underwhelming because of the poor snow conditions! But we have found that sunny weather, no wind and a bit of warmth has contributed to a good time because there is snow, if you know where to go. And then the skiing is a pleasant experience, even if it's not the high-end thrill of other years.

You have a car and by taking the little road down from Niederau to Hopfgarten, then to Scheffau via the Itter shortcut it's just 30mins for some good skiing. The Brandstadl gondola takes you up to the Ski Welt area where there are plenty of wide blue and red pistes in pretty good condition. You can even ski back down to the car park and we're not talking narrow tractor runs but proper piste width. The chairlift at Brandstadl is heated and has the easiest loading system we've ever experienced. Lots of nice restaurants too.

I tried Westendorf but didn't like it. The limited runs are too narrow and the two gondola system (Alpenrosebahn and Choralpbahn) annoy me. The former is old style with lots of metal steps to climb and the latter has an escalator after you get off, followed by more steps before emerging at the top on to piste 111. I suspect Hopfgarten may be struggling too because of the orientation of the slopes to the sun. Scheffau is on the other side so the pistes hold up better because they face away from the sun.

Niederau doesn't look much right now with narrow runs down and limited skiing. But top section of the Schatzberg down to Berghaus Koogelmoos looks good from the valley (I haven't yet gone there yet this holiday but may next week).

More positively, the weather forecast and the locals predict snow and lower temperatures from 7 January so I think you'll be fine, really. Have a lovely time, we are!

Arianne
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy