Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A week in Daisetsuzan / Asahidake with children?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning a ski trip in February with my sons (ages 10 and 7).

We're good, experienced skiers (and novice boarders). We've been skiing black diamond and off-piste/trees for a few years. Our big trip last year was a week in Niseko.

We could return to Niseko, and would have a good time: it's big, it's got a lot of variety, it's easy, we enjoyed it last year, etc.

I'm wondering, though, about taking it one step further, and going to Asahidake.

I think that this could be an extraordinary experience, but also have two concerns:

1. the flat lower slopes: will this end up being a lot of work for children (esp. if we board)?

2. avalanche risk: are there enough skiing options to keep us going for a week without facing avalanche risk?

On the second, we'll spend some of the time cross-country skiing, and perhaps even snow-shoeing. My main concern is that - if we get there, and find out that we don't like it - we're somewhat stuck.

I've wondered whether a better plan is to find a tour that spends a few days in Asahidake.

I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

Colin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin I admit that I only skied 2 days in Asahidake but, based on that, I would say it is not suitable. A few things (parking for one moment the snowboard issue - I ski so cant comment). The fact that there is only one lift up (which requires a queue and wait) would IMHO get very tiresome for the kids over a long stay. There is very little vertical so you will be lapping pretty quickly. If they have split boards and can skin (I guess not) there are more options. I know you did Niseko but the 2 places are worlds apart. I think a tour could work (there are lots of threads on those) but a multi resort trip has its own issues (travel time, repacking etc).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks chrisJersey. I was hoping that wouldn't be the reply I'd hear, but it does confirm my concerns - and it's better to hear it now than realise it once we get to Asahidake.

OK - we'll give it a couple of years before we try Asahidake.

Thanks,

Colin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If Central Hokkaido is where you'd like to go, then base yourself at Furano and make decisions on a daily basis.

Furano, Tomamu, Sahoro, Kamui resorts.

And if the children are riding well, then Asahidake.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Mike_Pow. I like the sounds of that: I'll look into the resorts you mention.

Would we need a car, or are there ski buses?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another question Mike_Pow: I should ask the more basic question - should we want to be in Central Hokkaido/Furano or Niseko? I'm guessing that the former offers more options (inc. cross-country), but requires a bit more work as well to get to them?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only skied one day there - and there is some really good terrain. However:

The lower half of the lift-served terrain is VERY flat.

There can be long waits for the gondola.

To keep occupied for a week or more you're probably going to have to hike/tour.

Theres really nothing there apart from the lift.

So it wouldn't be my choice for a week long trip with kids. @Mike Pow's suggestion of Furano is a good one. Easy to get to as far as I know (I went with Black Diamond Tours, so organised transport), reasonable amoint of stuff going on in town, reasonable sized ski area with less crowds and competition than Niseko.

Howver I'd probably just go to Niseko with a couple of day trips to Kiroro, Moiwa and Rusutsu. And spend first/last day at Sapporo Teine before flying home.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski.rowat wrote:
Thanks Mike_Pow. I like the sounds of that: I'll look into the resorts you mention.

Would we need a car, or are there ski buses?

There are buses, but a car will give you far more freedom, choice and an overall better experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski.rowat wrote:
Another question Mike_Pow: I should ask the more basic question - should we want to be in Central Hokkaido/Furano or Niseko? I'm guessing that the former offers more options (inc. cross-country), but requires a bit more work as well to get to them?

Correct. No cross-country in the Niseko Resort Area and surrounding resorts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Mike Pow and @clarky999. I think that I may end up being constrained by availability: the usual places in Niseko seem full up. Thus, it may be Furano & environs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy