Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sad news from Jackson Hole

Poster: A snowHead
Very sad news

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/breaking-skier-dies-at-jackson-hole-moutain-resort

Second of the season there

RIP Kelsey
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad too that the same happened yesterday in Snoqualmie Pass

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/man-dies-in-skiing-accident-on-snoqualmie-pass/article_5c8b96d4-a818-11e5-b742-a3abdf81aa34.html

Awful start to the season
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tree wells are unfortunately very dangerous. A friend died nearly two years ago in one at Whitefish. When I looked into the stats after his death I was horrified; I can't but help wonder if there should be better signing.

In Canada we had terrible news two weeks ago when a 9 yr old girl died after an accident at Nakiska. They believe she skied into a tree. It was very sad.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tragic.

It seems that Kelsey died under the busiest lift in the resort alongside the busiest run in the resort. It shows the danger of tree wells - a skier can disappear into the void almost without trace in a few seconds.

If you love to ski the forest, make sure you read about tree wells before you go. It might sound OTT, but I give my lads an annual air-hostess style talk on the subject before every ski trip.

So sad.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is so sad, tree wells are very dangerous, and so easy to get yourself into.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What are the safety tips when skiing areas where ski wells are possible? I'm guessing have a partner keeping an eye on you. How close can you get to the trees before it becomes iffy?

Bit less relevant for the skiing we do in Europe (though i guess it's possible with enough snow) but thinking of doing North America at some point.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure how accurate these tips are. http://m.wikihow.com/Escape-a-Tree-Well-when-Skiing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In addition to the question from @belette, I noted that in the second story the skier's companions returned to the top of the run to look for him. Is that considered the right thing to do, or (given the context of a member of the party going missing during a run through trees) should one initially alert the ski-patrol, before going back to help search?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to know more, you might want to have a look at www.deepsnowsafety.org
If you're in an area where there is a risk, the best thing you can do is to educate yourself and the rest of your party to the dangers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@belette, I tell the boys five simple rules:

1. Never ski alone in trees. Ever. Not even one simple, short cut-through.

2. Always keep your partner in sight. If you fall behind, yell at the person in front to slow down.

3. If you're in front, make sure you know where the previous skier is. Look behind or, more fun, tell them to whoop as they bounce through the turns and use your ears.

4. Never go ahead by a larger distance than you can comfortably walk uphill.

5. Never ski close to a tree. Stick to the compacted snow or, if there's been a fresh dump, stick to the mid-point between trees.

The problem is that a tree well can swallow up a skier in seconds with little trace showing above ground. There are hundreds of trees in a forest; if you don't know where your buddy was last seen, you may not find them before they die.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very sad news Sad Friend in JH told me about it, seems Kelsey was friend of a friend.

Jonny Jones, sensible rules, we always whoop and shout when in trees, and look at the gaps.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1 wrote:
Not sure how accurate these tips are. http://m.wikihow.com/Escape-a-Tree-Well-when-Skiing

Definitely a prevention is better than cure situation, if you go in alone you're most likely goosed. There's a good video on line of a lad going into a well you get some impression of how fcuked he would have been alone.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, great link, thanks - that answered all my questions and more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of info here for anyone planning to ski on the trees: http://www.deepsnowsafety.org/index.php/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got stuck in a tree well in Courchevel many years ago, scary as f€7k...........
ski holidays
Lots of signs everywhere in JH about treewell dangers but as I'm currently doing a fair bit of tree skiing on my own at the moment this has made me somewhat nervous I have to say
snow report
I learnt that deaths are more likely to happen late morning as the lines get pushed closer to the trees; and that even if with a partner, any separation can mean it takes too long to walk back up if its too powdery.

Main thing is to stay away from the trees and ski in the middle
ski holidays
Another tree well death from Mt washington- a 15 yr old snowboarder. Statistically they do seem to come in years, depending on the snow pack
latest report
I had a nasty experience tumbling into the well of a large, slightly overhanging, boulder. It's not only when tree-skiing that you need to keep your wits about you.
latest report
dsoutar wrote:
Lots of signs everywhere in JH about treewell dangers but as I'm currently doing a fair bit of tree skiing on my own at the moment this has made me somewhat nervous I have to say

If you fall into a treewell while skiing solo, it means almost certain death (90%):

http://mpora.com/articles/tree-well-survival-guide#FAsh8pHeio7rH61c.97

http://youtube.com/v/1PS-oMirLds
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy