Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soldeu vs Sestriere vs Ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I'm looking for some assistance with my short list of ski resorts for a trip that's in the works for this March. This will be the first trip abroad for most of the group, including myself. I've done a bit of research and I'm sure the resorts I've been looking at would all be great, but would appreciate some subjective experiences or pro's and con's from more experienced skiers. Some background info:

- Small group of 5 guys for a week. Group is one beginner skier who's only had lessons in a fridge, two 'advanced beginners' with two seasons in Scotland mucking about but not many lessons, one decent skier and one decent boarder.
- The first three on that list would be looking to take some morning lessons, and an English speaking school would be ideal
- Priorities in a vague order are 1) access to a large area of mainly beginner and intermediate runs 2) lively apres-ski; doesn't have to be Ibiza on ice but would avoid quiet, family oriented places 3) accommodation can be a bit rough and ready as long as it's clean and fairly convenient for slopes and bars.
- We'll likely be flying from Glasgow or Edinburgh, which have reasonable links but not the same degree as London of course. Direct will probably keep the price down.
- On the subject of cost, preferably at the lower end of the scale. Have had a look at eastern Europe resorts and whilst cheap I don't think they offer good value with what looks like limited pistes? Have heard that France is second only to Switzerland for cost so haven't really looked into it, is this a mistake? Aiming for £500-800 pp all in for a week, sound reasonable?

I'm struggling to choose between Andorra, Sestriere (Milky Way?), and Solden or Ischgl. They all seem to have small pros and cons, mainly around flights and transfers, but other than that I'm stuck. Any advice from Snowheads would be much appreciated. Also open to other suggestions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl, Hotel Alpenrose. Schatzi! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been to Sestriere but been to other two and they are very different. Based on budget it would have to be Soldeu although its a good few years since I was there so not up to date with current costs but you won't get Ischgl for the price range you are looking at if, by all in, you are including lift passes and lessons. Its one of Austria's most expensive resorts - doesn't do "a bit rough and ready" Great place though. You're also more likely to get a native english speaker for an instructor in Soldeu.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl is one of the most expensive resort in Austria.

Go to Saalbach - great resort with plenty of good slopes for the beginners, fun but cheap apres, easy to get to from Salzburg or Munich, and Fürstauer Ski Scule normally have a few Brit instructors and a bunch more who speak perfect English.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You've chosen three very different resorts.

Sestriere has the most extensive skiing as part of the Milky Way. The most upmarket ski resort in western Italy

Ischgl is big, more advanced skiing with epic nightlife

Andorra is cheap, cheerful, sunny and fun. Often very busy. Lots of beginner and intermediate skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Taurig, I stayed in s/c apartments for about £150 p/p for a week in 2014 in Ischgl - Hotel Garni Val Sinestra - cheap and cheerful. Lift Pass was about £155 (on offer) for the week - ski+boot hire about £100 for the week. Flights were £90 rtn and private transfer was about £40 p/p.

£535 + beer and food money. Best weeks skiing I've ever had. It can be done cheaply you either need to get in early with your booking or be lucky to get a cancellation. Contact the tourist board and they will send you some options. It really is a brilliant resort to visit especially for a group of lads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Taurig,
I've been to Ischgl a fair bit and though it is reasonably accessible from Scotland I would echo the above points. It is not cheap nor is it particularly suitable for near beginners. The easy slopes get quite crowded.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was part of a very similar group many years ago and we went to Andorra (Pas de La Casa). Ticked the boxes then for instruction, night life, cheap but ok accom. It was my very first ski trip and I loved it. I've since been to many European (and US) destinations and ticked lots of other boxes but it worked for me. By the way - goinng to Sestriere end of Jan aand slightly worried it might be a bit quiet - we aren't up Ibiza on Snow either but we did find Selva a bit soporific last year. We've found Austria is probably the favourite for night life - one you get past the lederhausen and oompah oompah stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm certainly glad I asked on here because this is the kind of info that doesn't come across when googling resorts. I did not get the impression that Ischgl was expensive for example, I am maybe under the impression that Austria is generally quite cheap but I suppose it must have its upmarket places.

clarky999 - I must have missed Saalbach because it does look like it would fit the bill. Could you have an economic holiday there?

Have to say, I was swaying towards Andorra, and the reponses here have strengthened that. Should note that we may not do lessons every morning, maybe 3 days out of 7. Imagine this will keep the cost down and, ahem, may be sensible in case the apres ski gets rowdy... Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spent my first 3 weeks on skis in Ischgl (all in early March while still busy, 2 in ski school/1 'roaming free' with friends) and can't say I noticed it was especially unfriendly as a beginner. In lessons the instructors know which areas are suitable for their groups ability and also what gets busy/quiet and when. When you're on your own there's only maybe 1 or 2 lifts that can get you in trouble and don't have a choice of an easier run if you decide the red/black options not for you/all your group, and often the options all come out to the same area so you can split mice/men and regroup at the bottom.

Food and drink aren't especially expensive in Ischgl, though you do tend to get sucked in to the apres and drink much more than you would in say France. What is expensive is accomodation. It's a popular resort and building is controlled to avoid it looking like someone's vomited concrete all down a valley and prices reflect demand. You can save loads by staying down the valley but you're either leaving the party early to catch the last bus or shelling out for cabs every night.

One advantage of Ischgl and a lot of other Austrian resorts is that a lot of people are in hotels rather than self-catering and this gives a natural rhythm to the apres; off the snow and in to the bar about 4, drink and party hard till 7 when the party dips as people head back to their hotels/find a restaurant. With a full belly middle-ages gits like us can't be bothered getting back on the beer so end up in bed about 10/11 with 8-10hrs sleep before breakfast and first lift sans-hangover.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andorra is fanstic for expense. It should be fine snow wise in March, espeically if its early march. Prices of food and drinks on piste and in town are very cheap and finally the ski area is actually really good for the levels you're looking at.

Why Soldeu not Pas however? Pas as i understand it has more night life.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Taurig, BA now doing Glasgow to salzburg so Saalbach could be a good option for you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Taurig, Our place may be no good for you, as it's not "a bit rough and ready", but there is plenty of cheap accommodation and prices are cheap - you can get a decent evening meal for 6 - 8 euros (although this evening I splashed out 9.5 euros on Bobby's Pub's spare ribs). You'd have 270km of mainly blue and red runs to go at, and the apres-ski is renowned.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive been to Soldeu(sort of) , Sestriere and going to Ischgl this year

The First 3 years we went to Pas de la casa same ski Area as Soldeu and was by far the cheapest of the 3 you've chosen .

Next went to Sestriere ,Excellent skiing but dead in the evening .Try Sauze d'Oulx still part of the milky way but far better night life

To keep cost down we've always gone for 5/6 days which was fine in Andorra and Italy ,but the 3 Austrian resorts weve been to since has been a struggle ( Sat-Sat only )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the 3 Austrian resorts weve been to since has been a struggle ( Sat-Sat only )

This is a familiar story - so much of the accommodation being available only on a Sat to Sat basis. However there are people out there who may be willing to split a week with you. For example, I've been contacted by some guys who have booked accommodation from Fri 26th Feb to Tues 1st March, but they would dearly love to stay with us (even though it would mean losing the deposit on the accommodation already booked), if only someone could be found to book the rest of the week - i.e. Tues 1st or Wed 2nd to Sat 5th March. It's just a question of contacting individual accommodation providers to see whether you can be 'paired' with anyone who may be in a similar position.
ski holidays
I agree with Wasley regarding Sestriere, it's a more of a family orientated kind of place.

Sauze d'Oulx would be a much better option, there's a bit of night life, it's no longer the Ibiza on snow is was once regarded as and also very reasonably priced.

If you're interested in Austria St Anton or Solden may be worth considering.
snow report
rgriffith wrote:

If you're interested in Austria St Anton or Solden may be worth considering.

Thats funny ,,they are the 2 other Austrian resorts we've been too.

I would say Solden may be a bit much for the beginner in your group not many easy slopes around but saying that its been my favourite resort out of all of them
ski holidays
So I got a bit tragic and ended up making an Excel sheet to figure out costs. All in, between Andorra, Saalbach, and Morzine as a French example... there wasn't much between it. I estimated £900 for Andorra, £1100 for Saalbach and about the same for Morzine. Based on 4 guys sharing basic accomodation, and £200 for food and drink for a week in each place (I imagine this will vary a bit however).

I can't really think of reason not to choose Andorra to be honest! Unless by March the Alps get heavy snow and the Pyrenees stay dry that is...
snow report
I've been to El Tarter three times in three years. Not sure of Soldeu, but note the beginners' area is up the lift, and at least in El Tarter, the two blue runs back to the based can be pretty horrible at the end of the day, crowded with many (of very varied abilities) going back, and lumpy as all the snow gets scraped into humps as the beginners side-slip down the steep sections.
snow report
Livigno, Italy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy