Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
@Zdh4. That is no different to the closures last week. Looks very similar.
Snow cover? Not enough lifties or staff to man the area?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've heard economics may be playing its part.... hmmmmm....shame....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/VKVmaiR6fZM

latets update, started snowing 45 mins ago apparently...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arrived Saturday morning. Snowed about 10 cm in the day - pistes were in rough condition.

Awoke this morning to about another 50 cm in Sportina....

played hard in the powder all day long.

Thigh burn. Took advil as preemptive measure, as another 40 cm is meant to come tonight.

Suffice to say, snow problems have been solved.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you lucky so and so.........

Austria still needs loads I think. It is too warm and too low...............

Mistake.....

I still hope to post next week and seek forgiveness........ Sad Blush Little Angel Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zdh4 wrote:
I've heard economics may be playing its part.... hmmmmm....shame....

Sorry if I posted this before...can't remember.

Anyway about five weeks ago I had a one to one lesson in Sauze with a just brilliant instructor who has been coaching for over 40 years. He's a Sauze local, born and bred. I mentioned that I was going to the Dolomites in a couple of weeks. He said' The Dolomites are lucky, they are semi independent so taxes raised there go back to the Dolomites. Here in Via Lattea the taxes go to Rome. In Rome they are hungry and eat a lot of food'

So yes,local and not so local economics are possibly involved.

BTW, best ski instructor I've ever had.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, makes sense, feel for the locals then. Still from the update from Heidi maybe the new snow will bring more visitors in the next couple of weeks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://twitter.com/sauzeonline/status/704221921899102208
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wednesday cannot come quick enough

http://youtube.com/v/HKf_DpxS34o&feature=youtu.be
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Curzonian, well done, glad Sauze scored finally, now you need to find the steep lines in the trees Toofy Grin

Did the snow get heavy in the afternoon?

Hopefully a lot more to come - meanwhile here in Serre only about 10cm
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
unfortunately i'm nowhere near being able to do this - it's James from sauzeonline in the video - but yep apparently from yesterday afternoon through to this morning it was heavy

we land on Wednesday, hence my message!

fingers crossed for you in Serre
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So the next 40 cm we were meant to get, was actually 60 cm!!!

It was quite heavy on the lower slopes, say half way down the Sportina lift, or from the top of the Clotes lift, the snow was of poor quality. But we had to ski it, because on Monday, the Sportina lift didn't open until 2:30, because..... there was so much snow, the piste bully's couldn't get up to the top and bash it, and was otherwise too dangerous, given the 50 cm from the night/day before.

Alas, after 2:30 all was good again in our world.

Sadly, I am severely lacking in off pistes, deep powder through the trees skills. Gladly, my children (13 and 14) are not. I hired an instructor, gave them ABS equipment, and sent them off to fly through the powder between the trees and jump off cliffs. They report it was only slightly heavy, but not to interfere with the joy. They were primarily skiing through the trees off the drag lift.

Yesterday, we ventured over to Sansicario, Sestriere and Pragelato and back. Sestriere was in excellent condition, and again, with a experienced mountaineering friend and his children, they were flying through the trees between the pistes from Sauze to Sestriere and back, under bluebird skies and I do believe they had the best ski day of their lives.

Today a bit warmer, and even in Sportina, rather slushy, but that is meant to change in a few hours, with a top up every day for the next few days.

My only advice to anyone reading this, follow my ski booking plans?

and also true what was mentioned about local investment and taxes. The dolomites have their own special arrangement not being properly Italian, but Ladin. It goes so far, that as a "Ladin" they are also entitled to free Uni in Austria. The ladins, are business savy, and extremely wealthy. It is a culture unto itself.

video to follow, once I've figured it out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
link to tree skiing vid:

http://youtube.com/v/JfvdEr3nB-o
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried a separate thread but any recommendations for fat ish ski hire and lessons in Sestriere? All tips gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We used Rent and Go for ski hire booked through Snowbrainer last year, they have all mountain skis. We also did some lessons including off piste just with the main ski school (the blue uniforms). I would happily recommend both.
ski holidays
@Bianchigray, thanks.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/1IA6Rd-NPXI

latest update from sauze online. Conditions looking good and there's been more snow overnight Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi, last day here for us in Sestriere. We've been here a week and it's snowed 5 out of 7 days. And nights.

It's chest high powder as soon as you leave the piste. We had a day yesterday where we went from Sestriere to Cesana to Claviere at The French Border then back to Sauze and Sportinia. A great tour.

We couldn't get across to France because we'd gone on the Crystal bus on Wednesday and you apparently only get one day in Montgenevre on your pass. Crystal said it was a bit of a long jaunt, but we'd made it there in under 2 hours.

As a cruiser piste lover, I heartily endorse the Claviere and Sauze runs.
latest report
Anybody about to update on conditions? Flying out to Turin on the 27 and so looking for best place to head to for family of 3 experienced skiers - thinking Sauze or Sestriere - sounds like we might get more skiing that we originally thought the we booked the flights a few weeks ago. Many thanks Smile
latest report
I'm out there next week. I'll post an update either when there or as soon as I come home.
snow conditions
The conditions this week so far have been superb. Wall to wall blue sky, and the pistes in perfect condition. Only way it could have been better would have been more fresh snow, although there was a dusting this morning.

Next week is looking similar.
ski holidays
Very Happy
latest report
@maltababy, we just returned from 5 days staying in Cesana. Fantastic conditions everywhere, might be easier and cheaper to find lodging in cesana than in the resorts like sestriere. everything works well, the infrastructure in cesana means there is a gondola in each direction and easy parking avoiding driving high. Staying around VL and doing a day trip to Briancon 35 min away is a nice option. Montgenevre is not large but has nice offpiste opportunities not too seriously steep. We liked the Sauze and Sansicario cruiser slopes best, much better than Sestriere for us. From Torino you could head for Cervinia as an altenative, driving distance much the same. Or Monterosa champoluc, or Orelle for 3Vallees. But via lattea is a short easy transfer particularily in snow or bad weather, and skiing is very good all around. Everybody going to this region the next weeks should see fantastic snow conditions!
latest report
The forecast is showing another Genoa low on the way and another metre plus dump for next weekend.
snow report
Wall to wall sunshine all week long. More importantly, loads of fresh lines to be had....and that's 5 days after the last dump. Excellent tree skiing, more freshies. God, I love Italy.
ski holidays
PS: off to score some more.
PPS: This may be my best week in Europe. Ever.
snow report
Rishie wrote:
Wall to wall sunshine all week long. More importantly, loads of fresh lines to be had....and that's 5 days after the last dump. Excellent tree skiing, more freshies. God, I love Italy.

Also what we love about Sauze. Even days after a dump, there are still fresh lines to be found. So much tree skiing between the pistes.

That said, without snow between the trees, it's just another place to ski... pisted runs are nice enough, better than most, but the tree skiing..... ah....
snow report
Well, what a week! Great weather, excellent snow and so quiet! We eve managed to get lift accessed freshies 6-7 days after the last dump. Last run of the day was a 5 (yes, 5!) minute hike for a lovely line of fresh snow. Highly recommend Italy after a big dump.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
awesome @Rishie, !
snow report
Btw, does anybody know why the col saurel lift in Claviere is closed down? Apparently for the complete season. The only way back from MontGenevre to Claviere in order to return to Sauze is the tedious Golf piste , not good for boarders and lots of poling. All pistes in val gimont seemingly closed. We did not see the cables anymore. The lift is only 16 years old. Google did not answer... Anybody got the background? Will it be back next season ?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 16-03-16 20:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Not me - didn't ski over there. Sorry.
latest report
@Geh, There was an avalanche death earlier this season over there I believe.
snow conditions
Rishie wrote:
Well, what a week! Great weather, excellent snow and so quiet! We eve managed to get lift accessed freshies 6-7 days after the last dump. Last run of the day was a 5 (yes, 5!) minute hike for a lovely line of fresh snow. Highly recommend Italy after a big dump.

like this:

Sauze 29 Feb 2016.
snow report
@Guernseyfreerider, that would explain a lot. Thanks. Strange that my google search of avalanche saurel or claviere did not have any matches. Perhaps it will return into service next season then, the valley looks nice from a distance i.e. the Claviere chairlift. The Coletto Verde lift and piste down was enjoyable even without the Gimont connection. But would not like to risk avalanche danger. Is this a half-secret or what... Our hotel owner did not state anything either. And he wears a MonteLuna jacket.
snow report
Quick hit in Sestriere today - conditions pretty darn fine!

Fraiteve East face:

Pattemouche couloir entry pitches:

And then on to the important stuff at the Mulino di Laval:

The eating of this was possibly (very) briefly enhanced by a hasty dash & grab coffee cameo by @Admin ? (Going on descriptions by 3rd parties...)
snow conditions
@Geh Col Saurel and Coletto verde closed by judicial order. Works were done to the slope in 2014. In January 2015 there was a death on the hill. During the inquest they found that the works down to the slope did not correspond to the plans submitted to the council. In addition they found asbestos on the slope (a naturally occurring mineral). The investigating judge closed the slope. It is hoped that after remedial works next summer the mountain will re-open.
ski holidays
Just back today and conditions are fantastic. Skied mainly in Sauze but also did a day in Sestriere (Tue) and a day in Sansacario (Fri), great piste conditions all over. Also did some off piste in Sauze on Wednesday and Thursday after new snow, it was just brilliant - sad to be home.

Apparently they're expecting sunshine all next week so should be lovely, just hope it doesn't melt snow into slush.
snow conditions
@Bianchigray, sounds like our week. We had 4 deep powder days, but also one day Sestriere and one day Sansacario, and great piste conditions except for the first day, which was expected... didn't ski much that day anyway, just tried to warm the legs up.
snow conditions
Hello, staying in Palace Residence in Sestriere next week. Just wondering if anyone had any helpful hints about easiest access to and from the lifts. Can you ski back in if ski down from the Fraiteve gondola? Thanks, snow sounding pretty good at the moment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy