Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots on Ryanair

Poster: A snowHead
The Ryanair website refers to "ski equipment (including poles and boots)" as having to be declared separately on booking, and presumably charged at £17 per flight. Does this apply to ski boots only, as I won't be taking skis? Would be crazy if true, but then Ryanair has done some crazy things.

Was planning to just check my ski boot bag separately as hold luggage, along with my main bag. As long as in total the two bags weigh less than the 15kg limit will I be okay, or will they hit me with some ridiculous charge for checking "ski equipment"?

Any advice welcome!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-01-06 13:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Burt, Your second statement is the correct one, total weight under 15kg, two bags are fine.

On Saturday I asked specifically on the policy of boot bags as hand luggage as there has been some discrepancy in postings. I was told at check in that boot bags would be allowed as hand luggage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Burt, when I travelled with Ryanair from Stansted at Christmas, we had to take our boots to the oversized luggage area but we weren't charged any money. On the way back (from Salzburg) they were checked in with the rest of our luggage. As long as you don't exceed the weight limit I wouldn't worry...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, Marshboy, many thanks guys - nice to be re-assured!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If they try and charge you money, you could always wear them and put your shoes in your luggage! Last year coming back from Norway the guys sitting next to me had been climbing and were wearing mountaineering boots!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flying out from Gatwick on New Years Day (EasyJet) we were amused to see a gent in rather obvious (and very orange) ski boots waiting at the gate. It got even more surreal Laughing when we had to get off the first plane and were bussed over to an alternative (all still at Gatwick) due to a paperwork stuff-up...

Maybe he was just avoiding the extra carriage charge ???
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They charge the same for one pair of skis as for two pairs in a bag, This was so last year and I have checked again this year. So double-up folks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the Ryanair allowance is 15kg in the hold and 10kg on the plane. Can you not just put boots in your suitcase? How much do boots weigh anyway? Talking about boots I was in La Molina (Spain) over the New Year and we had to get the bus back to our accommodation one evening. The driver would not let me or my girlfriend on the bus wearing our boots! We had to remove them in the wet snow and trudge in wet ski socks! Some ski bus that was! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've worn ice climbing boots before on a flight, but this year I may check in actually wearing my skis Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i phoned their (25p a minute) helpline to ask this specific question, i was told by the nice lady to put my ski boots in my bag along with the rest of my clothes etc and to make sure it weighs less that 15kg.
Excess baggage charge of £5.50 per kilo applies, but the way i see it, they were going to charge me £38 to take my sports gear with me ( whether it was one pair of boots, or boots, skis and poles they treat it the same) so if my boots and clothes weigh say 17kg in one bag its better to pay the excess charge, and if i'm lucky they might waive it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Read the other thread on excess......they wont wave it even if you have paid for sports equip but just used one bag instead of two!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At £38 for ski gear carriage per trip is there justification for owning your own skis? I hired boots and skis for about £30 for five days on my trip to Spain and I avoided lugging awkward heavy gear all over the planet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A friend of mine always puts lots of his clothes in with his skis to cut down the weight of his bag (the skis aren't weighed in my experience).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there anything to stop you attaching them to your bag? I am intending to go to canada with helmet clipped to carry bag and the boots likewise, one attached to each shoulder strap
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just wear your skis on hte flight - no problem.
latest report
If you mean loose - attached with the staps or such to your main hold bag - yes the airline will reject it as unsuitably packed buns. If you mean hand luggage I suspect they'll have something to say about the weight..
snow report
buns,

I doubt your be allowed if there not shrink wrapped to your bag.
snow conditions
I went to Italy over New Year with Ryanair (Glasgow Prestwick to Milan Bergamo and return). I took my boots on as hand luggage and there was no problem whatsoever. The trick is to pack your ski boots bag with as much stuff as you can (obviously don't have it bulging too much as it won't fit in the overhead locker thingys on the plane!!)
latest report
OK, some contradictory views coming through. Ray Zorro and others reckon I'll be fine with two bags, JONR, says that everything has to go in one bag.

Weight isn't an issue - I'll be well under 15kg, even including hand luggage (it's just a 3 night trip) - but I can't fit my boots in my main bag.

Boots themsleves weigh about 6 kg (if my bathroom scales are accurate and my imperial to metric maths is correct), and everything else no more than 9 kg, but they will just be split between two bags! I guess if I do get any trouble at the airport I'll do as jb1970 has suggested and just take the boots on as hand luggage.
snow conditions
Below is Ryanair's policy on cabin luggage, so long as you meet the requirements set out below, there should be no problem.

Cabin Baggage Allowance:
Ryanair allows each passenger (excluding infants) to carry one small piece of hand baggage on board. The hand baggage must not weigh more than 10kg and be less than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, in dimensions. For the safety and convenience of all passengers, hand baggage must fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment.
ski holidays
Peter Ross wrote:
At £38 for ski gear carriage per trip is there justification for owning your own skis? I hired boots and skis for about £30 for five days on my trip to Spain and I avoided lugging awkward heavy gear all over the planet.

Yes, I think so. Although I won't be taking my skis on this trip, nor on the other two long weekends I have booked, I will take them on my three week-long package trips. I always go with operators who don't charge for ski carriage.

At £30 for 5 days you got a bargain. In the big Alpine resorts you're usually looking at about £70 a week to hire this year's models, so I calculate that my skis will have paid for themselves within 2 to 3 years, then it'll be time to get nice new shiny ones again!

3 weeks/year at £70/week = £210 per year.
3 years = £630 spent on ski rental

My skis cost about £500.

QED (well I'm happy anyway!)

There's not much lugging either. Put them in the car, car to check-in desk, luggage carousel to TO transfer coach, coach to hotel (though some operators even do that bit for you!).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy