Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Piste Skiing Now More Dangerous Than Ever? Are GoPros To Blame?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was messing around on t'interweb yesterday and as usual was drawn to anything snow related.
I came across a item which suggested that the ease with which some people can now record themsleves doing something stupid has elevated that level of stupididty to recklessness.

By some people they said they meant mostly - but not exclusively - males, midteens to mid 20's, and they said they believed the motivation was to record evermore outrageous stuff that would get bigger and bigger hits on YouTube.

This wasn’t just ‘park and pipe’ stunts, but included what they described as reckless behaviour on-piste as well. (sorry I can’t find the link to where I was looking at this)
Now I have to admit that the only people I’ve skied with who have Go Pros are as old and knackered as me, so I have no first-hand experience of this so called phenomenon, but what do others think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Somebody was killed doing a selfie with a bear. Could serve a useful evolutionary purpose...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Somebody was killed doing a selfie with a bear. Could serve a useful evolutionary purpose...

someone also fell off the Dents du Midi a year or so ago trying to take a selfie!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As far as I can remember, and it was long ago, I didn't technological encouragement to behave stupidly in mid-teens to mid-20s.

However people record downhill cycling speeds on our local narrow lanes that are far out of the bounds of safety and I believe the urge to be Strava KOM plays a part. Pretty certain the same factors in some excessively fast skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dogwatch wrote:
However people record downhill cycling speeds on our local narrow lanes that are far out of the bounds of safety and I believe the urge to be Strava KOM plays a part. Pretty certain the same factors in some excessively fast skiing.

Controversial thought this, but downhill Strava KOMs are largely sought by people who are too slow and unfit to achieve uphill or flat results, so they equate success with risk-taking instead of hard training.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Strava KOM... Was ist das?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has the blame the helmets thread died off and been replaced?

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/mcs/media/images/83388000/jpg/_83388483_pa_teletubbies.jpg

I don't care if I look like this Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe go pros on top of helmets is the problem.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe many folks did stupid things in advance of Go-Pro or similar devices coming available......how many of us "senior" skiers remember with tremble antics performed in junior years😉?
I daren't trawl the grey matter too much otherwise I will start trembling like an old schooner ploughing through a vicious storm😊
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@big davski, We all took a few risks back in the day.....but go on to YouTube and see how many people wipe out and their first thought/statement is 'This will go viral'. '
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:
Strava KOM... Was ist das?

Strava allows you to compare your best time on a segment with the fastest recorded time, which is "King of the Mountain" (KOM).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy