Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking of December 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Given the dates of school holidays next year there is a cheap week available pre-Christmas which is just about in school holidays.

That means a week starting the 16th Dec.

Given how mild this and last year has been in December how have / is this year in Val D'Isere, Obergurgl and Courchevel?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Tignes Sat - Mon this past week, and conditions were pretty good. There was skiing to the door in Val Claret. Then spent Tuesday in VT,with less good snow - thin cover, some ice, bits of rocks.....still, blue skies and sunshine in both resorts and "the best conditions were on the upper slopes" Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That should be a good week for a holiday. Many resorts in France don't open properly till Christmas week. yes, Tignes is likely to have more snow than most French resorts but it could be on of those years when Austria does much better for snow. Or, like last year, the best is in the south. Or its cold and very windy and tignes shut for avalanch risk and bleak as the Arctic. Last minute booking is the way to go.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, I am considering anther Esprit holiday give the price for that week and the fact the for most children they will only miss a half day of school I don't expect them to have any last minute availability for that week.

I am sure other operators / options will....

Is being based in tignes vs Val D'Isere a better option? We haven't done that are yet but it is on our list to try.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, we've done Val for the past couple years now. The hotel setup Espirit have there is good but getting over to Tignes is a bit of a trek with the kids - beyond our two at the time. That said there is enough in Val to have fun with them.

We are definitely interested in this trip too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the split of north vs south facing slopes in both resorts? Given it CAN be very cold in December or can very mild like now, you almost want an even mix to cover both bases, I would have thought.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Is being based in tignes vs Val D'Isere a better option?
Depends on what you're after - each has its pros and cons:

Tignes: Arguably better/easier access to the slopes from most accommodation; easy access (esp from Val Claret) to the resort's best/highest snow on the Grande Motte Glacier; definitely easier to get back to resort on skis - lots of options to do so; main resort at 2100m so generally good snow on resort runs; architecture can resemble a moon station; no trees at main resort level, so bleak in bad weather; the separate resort areas are fairly self contained, very functional and self-sufficient.

Val D'Isere: Proper mountain town, nice ambience; resort runs can be tricky for the inexperienced (black/narrow/closed) to the main town - but are good (and easier) down to the La Daille end of the town; tree runs above La Daille for bad weather; best snow (glacier) is above Le Fornet - usually very quiet but a bit of a journey by lifts/ski (or bus to base area from main town) to get there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I'd prefer to be based in Tignes, other things being equal. I'm not a fan of Val d'Isere. But I'm not familiar with the location of Esprit. Obviously mid December is always a big gamble with the weather but tignes has a fair bit open now compared to most places. I just watched parents with 3 littlies with bum sleds, apparently looking for some tobogganing action. There's nowhere within walking distance here except the piste which would be lethal. Poor wee things. They were in full ski suits etc. I was overheating carrying a few bits up from the car in Crocs and a light jumper. Noticeably warmer than yesterday and likely to stay this way till after Christmas. The other side of the mountain is a lot snowier. Aspect is everything at the moment. My daughter and family arrive tomorrow. I'm going to scout out some tobogganing spots in a while
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Or its cold and very windy and Tignes shut for avalanche risk
The whole ski area Shocked?? Really Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its been known @mountainaddict. There was a time a few years ago where pedestrians were forbidden to walk around parts of val d,isere. its not uncommon to take a while to dig the lifts out after a big fall.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, I was trapped in Les Arcs 2000 the week pam w means with no skiing open due to the amount of snow. Some family members in the Chamois Dor in Val were banned from leaving the building by the Gendarmes and the staff boarded up the windows due to the avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just finished a great week of piste skiing in Obergurgl. Five sunny days and one top up of 15cm midweek. Very lucky but Obergurgl has never let us down in December.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just finished a family week skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, (with skiing between ~1000 - 2100m). We have been the past 4 years pre-xmas, with good to excellent snow. This year was 95% artificial, but with quiet pistes in excellent condition the skiing was great, and will definitely be back again next year.

PS Austrian hotels are very good value for family hols, with young kids often being free in family rooms. My friend's "kids" are now 19 & 21 but were still given half price as they've been regulars since they were tots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Obviously mid December is always a big gamble with the weather
I don't think it's a big gamble if you head high (although I accept that it depends on your expectations as well as the definition of a big gamble).

Definitely more of a risk of poor conditions than later in the season, but I've skied a lot in December, including skiing in every week of the month for the last five years or so. Always had skiing available, and at their worst the conditions were piste-only on scratchy snow with stones poking through and lower runs artificial or closed. But that's been relatively rare, and balanced by a similar number of weeks when conditions have been brilliant, on and off piste. Mostly conditions have been OK, and it's been lovely to get the winter off to an early start. But if you want to maximise your chances of perfectly groomed snow and a decent base for off-piste skiing you should think about later in the season.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 19-12-15 17:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm, just looking at the 16/17 preview brochure now, they are pretty good prices but our LA is listing schools breaking up on the following Wednesday so that'd be bunking off 4 days from school, might have to see what the fallout is for our week off this Janaury (only 14 sleeps snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead ) before booking be tempted to do a later week but then Easter's really late. Oh no, that leaves half term.... but then 16th December is Sideways_Jnr's birthday so it'd be pretty cool to have birthday dinner in the Alps. Of the resorts I think I'd be tempted by Tignes that early.
ski holidays
I think I'm going to go to the states. If there isn't any snow, I will at least be with my family for Christmas, and that's been years since that has happened...

and us Californians say, 7 years drought, 7 years rain. If that holds true, then we've just had year 1 of rain, 6 more to go.
ski holidays
Head as high as possible.

Ideally, above 2000m.

Tignes fits the bill.

With global warming melting the Alps at a record pace, and 2016 forecasted to be a record hot El Nino year, anyone advance-booking at low altitude for Nov / Dec / Apr / May needs a checkup from the neckup.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, That's a cracking week for a holiday - I always used to go that week but I must admit I#ve stopped booking it in advance and so haven't been last year or this.

EK and 3V both get lots of Uni trips on the lash but apart from that you'll have the slopes almost to yourself.

Nothing like booking early - I've already booked two 2017 trips, Lech in Jan and La Tania in March Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@NickyJ, this was the Espace Killy last weekend. It starts off on Double M in Tignes and then onwards over to Val as far as Pissaillas Glacier. I'll let you decide if the conditions look good enough for an early season holiday. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I'd add that the only time we queued was when a lift broke down.

http://youtube.com/v/hBuMlDpHkck
ski holidays
If you're going to bunk off four days school why not make it 5 and go later in the season?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
If you're going to bunk off four days school why not make it 5 and go later in the season?

One good reason is 5 is trigger point for being referred to the local authority.

Another is that last week before Christmas are filled with less academic activities.

That was for one area as I said above for my school they finish at 1:15 on the 16th so my daughter will only miss that morning of school if we were to go.
snow report
@Gaza, does look good.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, we were very happy with the conditions. There were some great conditions and some less so, but for mid-December we could not complain.

Around the Cascades chair and Madeline was the best snow and this is where there are some lovely Blues and (for Val d'Isere) easy Reds.
snow report
Quote:
Or its cold and very windy and Tignes shut for avalanche risk
Yes it can happen - but the above quote made it sound like it was a potential problem only for prospective Tignes bookings Confused

Whereas:
Quote:
There was a time a few years ago where pedestrians were forbidden to walk around parts of val d'isere....

Quote:
I was trapped in Les Arcs 2000 the week pam w means with no skiing open due to the amount of snow.
snow report
Richard_Sideways,

When you say you've "done Val..." was that Val T, Val D or elsewhere?

EDIT: oops! I see that you mentioned Tignes. Now I know!
snow conditions
You are Hampshire @NickyJ ? I thought 5 days was ok.
ski holidays
Just checked. Code of Conduct para 3.1 suggests 20 sessions (10 days) is the threshold. Am awaiting delayed flight so time to Google!
latest report
pam w wrote:
You are Hampshire @NickyJ ? I thought 5 days was ok.

That is contrary to the written notification they sent home at end of summer term. I will scan for you when I get home but that says that they are obliged to report you to local authority.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied the pre-Christmas week every year for the past 9 years (except this year). Last year was the worst conditions I've known, and I was in Courchevel. But there was still skiing to be had, and enough pistes open to keep us amused. My brother comes home from a week in 1850 today, and said they've had a much better week than he was expecting.

Before last year, I'd had some amazing snow conditions, one year we arrived to a metre and a half of fresh snow in La Plagne. Another year in Val it snowed pretty much every day.

The resorts I chose for that week were Tignes, Val D, Courchevel 1850, Meribel Mottaret and La Plagne.

I think you'll be OK.
latest report
Schools give out alot of inaccurate info @NickyJ. Each LEA MUST publish a Code of Conduct which is the authoritative policy.
ski holidays
@pam w, our borough seems to just refer to Section 444 of The Education Act 1996 - which is kind of annoying as Jnr will be off for a full week, think that's why it got referred where as last year we managed to get away with it as it was only 4 days. Plus the school has a lower than average attendance rating and has done for a few years so I think they're really cracking down on it, don't know why as it's in a boringly non descript London suburb so not stereotypical of bad attendance markers.
ski holidays
Pam, Does this work?

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p34266-notice-from-school.html

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 20-12-15 22:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
And the second page

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p34265-notice-from-school.html
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
@NickyJ, we were very happy with the conditions. There were some great conditions and some less so, but for mid-December we could not complain.

Around the Cascades chair and Madeline was the best snow and this is where there are some lovely Blues and (for Val d'Isere) easy Reds.

Conditions have severely degraded in my opinion in the last week here in Tignes... glad to be escaping before the New Years crowd arrives, it won't be pretty. Large bare spots showing up everywhere.
latest report
I too have looked at this week Nicky. However, after last years NY worries and this years poor snow I am a little concerned. May suck up the cost and go half term. Thinking I may hold off though and see what offers are around Ski Famille have some great deals but probably because the snow is not great this year.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, what did you decide in the end?

I've just booked that week (from 16th) to Esprit Val D'Isere with my 4-y-o for her first ski trip. Just the two of us, and 4-y-o will be in lessons/lunch club 9-2, so it would be good to have some company on the slopes if you're around. Unbelievably cheap, isn't it!
latest report
tccambs wrote:
@NickyJ, what did you decide in the end?

I've just booked that week (from 16th) to Esprit Val D'Isere with my 4-y-o for her first ski trip. Just the two of us, and 4-y-o will be in lessons/lunch club 9-2, so it would be good to have some company on the slopes if you're around. Unbelievably cheap, isn't it!

Ended up booking other end of season going Val d'Isere on 16th April, driven as much by now going with another family who will have a non skier with them. Then my youngest school published her term dates 4 day after I booked and they are different from rest of Hampshire & Wiltshire (our friends county) so she will miss 2 days of school grrrrr, I tried so hard as well!!!
snow report
Sorry to hear that.

I'm ridiculously excited already.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, 2 days of school? Wel. That's they're career as a high energy physicist trashed then rolling eyes
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@NickyJ, 2 days of school? Wel. That's they're career as a high energy physicist trashed then rolling eyes

I wouldn't mind if I hadn't been trying so hard to avoid taking them out of school.... This year they had over three weeks off after easter Sunday so thought I was safe booking to go ON Easter Sunday! My youngest is not doing brilliantly at school (we are having learning support and now referral for paediatric assessment, so really didn't WANT to take her out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy