Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for skis

Poster: A snowHead
I am 5'8" intermediate level not quite carving yet but has about ten years experience of 3 weeks a year. Just beginning to feel comfortable on reds.
I don't ski off piste.
Any suggestions what to buy second hand ?
Heading out in March April to finish off the season in a motorhome and intend to ski up to 6 weeks a year so time to buy not rent. I never especially noticed which skis I liked over the years but the Head ones were always good. Not even sure what length I need.
Any advice welcome. I could always buy when I'm out there (starting at Les Deux Alpes then moving to the Dolimites.) but might save me money if I buy them second hand here.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Head i.Supershape Magnum in the 156 or 163 cm lengths perhaps?

They are accessible to intermediates (according to Tea Club reviewers) but also great for more advanced skiers too.
http://shop.head.com/en/i-supershape-magnum-5.html?___SID=U
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/skitests/ski.aspx/2016/Head-iSupershape-Magnum#.VnMnzb-jBTA

I have the i.Supershape Speed from a few years back. I'm 5' 10" (about 10 st) and use the 163 cm length. My 5' 6" 72 year old dad hires the Head i.Supershape Magnum in 156 cm whenever he can get his hands on them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks
I'll look at those.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the Magnums, but prefer the Head Titans. They carve like a dream, but unlike the Magnums they cope very well with Crud or if theres been fresh snow due to the slightly wider waist.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That sounds useful info
Thanks
Looking on eBay there's quite a few pairs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a few Head Titan pairs on eBay but 177 cms
Would that not be a good idea for my height? (5'8")
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ekosport have them for £383 thats a bargain!! http://www.ekosport.co.uk/head-i.supershape-titan-prx-12-16-p-9-4370.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA18mzBRCo1e_-y_KLpXISJACEsANGOlNwFqrcsV0pwbgxOyzk6fi6acS36GhRaIH7rIQ4PxoCDhnw_wcB
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was hoping for second hand really....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im 5'10 and ski a 163, I could have gone for a 170 but prefer a bit shorter. I think youd find a 177 too much. Id go for a 163 if I was you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
keep an eye on these then, bargain at the moment! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-ski-I-SUPERSHAPE-MAGNUM-163cm-with-PRX-12-bindings-/181961796148?hash=item2a5dc4aa34:g:fK8AAOSw7hRWQEbB
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry above link may not be such a good plan as they are from Czech Rep. Sad - although they do have good reviews
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone like Dynastar all mountain women's?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lord, sorry poppy, only just realised your a lady - Should have checked your profile name out first! Toofy Grin

Head titans not a good plan, would be too stiff.

Rude bur essential question, what is your weight?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
poppyb wrote:
Does anyone like Dynastar all mountain women's?
Some ladies liked them at the tests in October: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/skibase.php?skibrand=Dynastar
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Around 200 pounds
I have used men's before.
Thanks for helping Paul
There are loads under £100 on eBay from ex display in Austria
ski holidays
I've been advised to buy them in the resort as they'll have been serviced. That sounds a good idea. Would still appreciate recommendations though.
ski holidays
Most of my mates who are in similar position to you have loved the Kniessl Redstars. Secondhand do come up very occasionally, worth contacting Tim about any that he is aware of or if he has any ex-demo or used stock he would sell - historically the prices have been very good for those or he might know someone who is thinking of selling.

I only know one skier with Dynastar womens skis but she is happy with them and has done quite a bit of skiing on them. The quality of their products is good, I had a pair of Legend Sultans that did everything I needed for a few seasons of hard use with no problems.
snow conditions
poppyb wrote:
I've been advised to buy them in the resort as they'll have been serviced. That sounds a good idea. Would still appreciate recommendations though.

Sounds like pretty terrible advice. Nothing to stop any ski in the UK being serviced, and indeed it is very straightforward to get them serviced if required either in a UK ski shop or when you arrive at resort. Personally I wouldn't rely on finding something in resort, and depending on the resort you may not have a huge amount of choice or even find secondhand or ex-demo skis available at all.
ski holidays
Yes good point, thanks.
snow report
But I would be buying without trying here so it's a gamble if I'll like them really.
latest report
@poppyb,

Try reading reviews on skis here.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/skibase.php

The Kneissl red stars will be too much for now if you are not carving yet, yes you might get away with them but there are so many skis out there that will be more forgiving and yet still allow you to work on your carving.

Have a look at skis with a slight rocker they will ski a bit shorter than the length suggests. I tried the Dynastar CR74 fluid and rated them great for your level or for a BASI L1 instructor in that they where forgiving, easy turn initiation, but held a strong edge when carving even at speed. Now if there is a women's equivalent this would be a good ski to try or even the CR74, but always remember what is good for one person can be a nightmare for another. If you can not get to try first you need to read as many reviews as possible both from the industry and importantly from individuals.

Lastly if you live near one of the fridges ( indoor snow slopes ) see if the resident Snow and Rock or Ellis Brigham have demo sis you can try. Many current skis just have new graphics from the previous years model or even previous few years.
snow conditions
poppyb, I did a lot of reading about the Head i.Supershape Magnum a few years ago and some good skiers in the USA (instructors and amateur racers) warned people not to buy them in too long a length, particularly if you are a lighter weight skier like me.

The following forum thread will give you more useful information. A 225 lbs (16 st) guy is using them in the 170 cm length: http://www.epicski.com/t/64253/head-isupershape-magnum
And a search for Magnum on that site will give you a lot of results.

My i.Supershape Speed skis are ridiculously stable at speed for their 163 cm length, unlike any other ski I have ever used. I have decent technique, but am a light weight at 145 lbs. The only time I struggle with them is on large moguls and off-piste (too narrow and short).
ski holidays
Try a load of skis in resort and find some you like, skis are a very personal thing and one you hate someone else will say are the best ever and vice versa. If your hire shop doesn't want you to keep swapping go to a different shop!
snow conditions
Yeh, I think I'll do that thanks. I was just trying to save money on not having to hire skis my first week in Les Deux Alpes. Can anyone recommend a place to use there? ( to try and buy used skis)
snow conditions
I live near Norwich which only has a dry slope.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy