Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February in Val Gardena

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to the Dolomites in February for a week or three of skiing (coming from western Canada - yes, I know, bad choice of years: we have tons of snow) and am looking for accommodation in Selva (I am quite familiar with Selva as I have hiked there several times) BUT I am concerned about the lack of snow at the moment. Not having visited the area in the winter before, can someone tell me: is this normal? Should I be concerned about how much snow there may be in February? I don't really want to put a deposit on accommodation if I will have to go to some other area (perhaps French or Austrian alps) at the last moment. I want to ski the Dolomites (I have skied quite a few places in the Alps in the past). Anyone have anything to comment from past experience? I can see that they are doing a lot of snowmaking (World Cup race this weekend) but should I be concerned about lack of natural snow?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally if I was travelling from Canada I would choose a different year. In a normal year you wouldn't even have to be concerned about the conditions in the Dolomites in February and with the great snow currently dropping in Canada why bother this year?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in Selva 2 years ago in January and it had just has a big dump the week before where just over the border less than 2 hours away in Austria (Soll) things were pretty grim. I think my point is it is prone to quite local weather variations so predicting them is impossible.

As beautiful as the dolomites are.........why risk it. I'd go to Whistler.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It has been a very poor start to the season for Italy with 2 months of virtual drought. No-one can predict with certainty what it will be like by February, though it's very likely to be skiable with the artificial base that has been laid, but perhaps not a vintage season or one with epic off-piste skiing.

It's very different from some recent seasons where Italy has done well out of the weather patterns. This Southeastern corner of the Alps is statistically the driest and on average doesn't enjoy huge natural snowfall, but individual ski seasons are rarely average. It could all turn around and be plastered with a metre or two of snow from an Adriatic low in 24hrs.

I'm with Minion that the safest option is not to bother this year...but I guess you maybe have already paid for your flights??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@westsidewoman,

I've been skiing this area out of Selva for 17yrs, mostly early season. I've NEVER been caught out with poor conditions. Admittedly, the beginning of this year is looking exceptional.
We're out there on Jan 15th, the chances of it not snowing between now and the are nil to very slim. I'm not at all worried.

Historically, the area didn't open until Christmas, here we are two weeks into Dec and the doom mongers are having a field day. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski is right, and many others in this thread are very wrong:
The current conditions are not very uncommon. Early season is always tricky. ALWAYS.
The current conditions are definitely no reason to cancel your February trip. It would in fact be a bit ridiculous (no offense).
The only thing one can say is that the Dolomites in general, throughout the season, don't get as much snow as the Northern Alps. Artificial snow has been a major thing in the Dolomites for decades. The Italians are therefore considered "the masters of artificial snow".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:
The Italians are therefore considered "the masters of artificial snow".

... and Bombardinos and good looking women. Why go anywhere else?!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
The Italians are therefore considered "the masters of artificial snow".

... and Bombardinos and good looking women. Why go anywhere else?!! Very Happy

Westsidewomen may look for the other sex???? Toofy Grin

Is here nobody who can tell her about the SB10BB snow?? But that is may be too much snow? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Langerzug wrote:
Mollerski is right, and many others in this thread are very wrong:
The current conditions are not very uncommon. Early season is always tricky. ALWAYS.
The current conditions are definitely no reason to cancel your February trip. It would in fact be a bit ridiculous (no offense).
The only thing one can say is that the Dolomites in general, throughout the season, don't get as much snow as the Northern Alps. Artificial snow has been a major thing in the Dolomites for decades. The Italians are therefore considered "the masters of artificial snow".

I'm booked on flights to Venice mid-Feb with cancellable options on Car Hire and B&B in the Dolomites...but I'm very optimistic it will be totally skiable and a lot more white by then and am not considering cancelling...as I said, 24hrs can change everything for the better and set up the rest of the season...there have been dry starts and very snowy starts in the Dolomites in recent years, it generally makes little difference to the on-piste skiability of the area during the main season, but will affect off-piste skiability.

...but I'm only about £200 in...it all depends on how deep the OP is in financially for this trip, whether she can cancel at no cost and enjoy the epic conditions in western Canada or continue to Europe and choose a more snow-sure destination and leave the visit to the Dolomites for another year when the early season weather patterns have laid a more favourable base...only she can answer what her level of risk is...and none of us can 100% guarantee what February will bring.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You will be fine- Feb is ages away and they are great at making snow! There would have to be a serious freak weather phenomenon between now and then for there to be no snow Very Happy

I do believe that the Sella ronda is open/ mostly open now on made snow.

You can see what's open here:

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/live-info/open-slopes

If like me you were planing on doing some Scottish skiing at New Year that is more a cause for concern! Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Remarkable how much skiing there is available compared to almost anywhere else in Europe at the moment. Presumably the low humidity of the SE Alps, grassy slopes, relatively high valley bottoms, shelter from the trees and Dolomite walls, as well as the state of the art snow making all help.

This is an interesting article about snow making in the Sella Ronda, referenced on the other Dolomites thread.

http://www.planetski.eu/news/7497
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There might be skiing available, doesn't mean it is particularly good or worth coming half way across the world for when you have awesome conditions at home. I love the Dolomites but seriously if you have the choice between Canada and Italy this year with Canada being the far cheaper option then you'd be crazy to choose Italy. That's my opinion.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A little reminder of recent seasons at this time of year...

2012: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=45604

2013: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=49148

2014: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=52333

It would seem this season is a little abnormal! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@luigi,
Three years is hardly significant statistics.
I have been watching the Val Gardena World Cup (always before Christmas) quite often over the last 20 years. More often than not the valley was completely brown, and the race on artificial snow.
But most important: This is early season, and early season means: winter has just started (or actually, meteorologically speaking it is still autumn, winter starts on 21 december!)), and thus snow can be scarce, or simply not available. And yes, february 2016 might be poor as well. But it might very well be excellent as well. Because winter is coming, for sure!

And really, what does the current snowcondition in Canada say about February? It might be raining warm water in February in Canada, and dumping meters of snow in Italy! Come on, be real!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, the Meteorological Winter actually starts on the 1st of December...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/how-weather-works/seasons/winter/when-does-winter-start

...it's the Astronomical Winter that starts on the Winter Solstice, Dec 21st.

Though which of these the ski season follows is a moot point, with late season cover generally better than the early season because of the snow accumulation over the main season. Looking at historical snow depths over the season, Selva tends to have its maximum snowcover in mid-Feb on the lower slopes and mid-late-March on the upper slopes.

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Italy/Selva_Gardena_snow_history.html

Apart from that, I think we are saying almost the same thing, just falling on different sides of the fence on our advice to the OP...well I kind of left it up to her depending on the financial implications...but at least she now has a balanced argument to refer to when making her final decision. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy