Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian Alps: Madesimo, Pila or Gressoney/Alagna?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, wondering where to go for a short 4 day break end of January. (3 days of skiing)
I am a confident intermediate boarder with a preference for challenging reds. Apres-ski not important at all.
I am flying into Milan and have narrowed it down to these three resorts: Madesimo, Pila and Monte Rosa.
Both Madesimo and Pila seem to be well-rounded medium resorts with enough variety.
I have been to Monte Rosa last year and had a blast at the Champoluc side. Due to early intermediate wife we did not explore the rest of the ski area (Gressoney/Alagna).
So I would focus on that side of the area.

Would love to hear your opinion. what would be your option for 3 days of skiing?
Pila, Madesimo or Gressoney/Alagna? How do these areas compare?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When in January are you going? There is major lack of snow in Italy and precious little forecast. I would probably wait to see if and where it snows before you book.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am going 20-24th. I hope by then winter has finally arrived in Italy..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@taman, particularly if you are (as it sounds) a piste skier, in principle, any of the above would be fine.

a. The end of January is a good few weeks away and very much can (and should) change by then, and

b. Monterosa (at least) is pretty well cannoned up so by that point, under normal circumstances, all the pistes will be open. You should be aware that here isn't much to either Alagna nor Gressoney villages and Alagna has only one steep and narrow run to the village so I'm going to expect that you'll be downloading in the gondola. In fact, thinking about it, Alagna would not be up there at all for an early intermediate there being more or less no easy skiing in its own valley. And if the wind gets up there won't be any alternates.

I have never been to Pila so I have no idea on snow making and the few short trips to MdC I wasn't paying enough attention.

I would be looking for as short a transfer as possible which makes MdC a little less attractive (it's about twice the drive as Monterosa or Pila) - you might also want to consider Courmayeur?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied Pila for one day and enjoyed it. Probably enough to keep a piste skier happy for three days. One thing I liked about it was the fact that there is a cable car up to the resort all the way from Aosta in the valley. So you could stay in the ancient city of Aosta (without having to leave the main roads of the Valle d'Aosta) and then just get the cable up to the skiing every day. Would make for quite an interesting trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@japes1275 that definitely sounds good. I have stayed a night in Aosta before and liked the town. I have not explored the ski resort though.
@under a new name: my wife is not joining this year so we are 2 intermediate snowboarders. The run to Alagna should be doable I think.
Are the pistes around Gressoney/Stafal comparable in extent and quality to those of Champoluc?

Btw, my third option is Madesimo (Valchiavenna) and not MdC Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@taman, the run to Alagna village is often closed. Or really, really not worth doing.

Gressoney/Stafal yep, pretty comparable and nothing is so far away anyway.

Ah. Madesimo... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in Aosta/Pila with the family at New Years last year. It suited us perfectly as we had two non skiers who could trip up and down the valley while we were up the mountain. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the gondola near the train station from the centre. There are ski lockers under the gondola so its a stroll in trainers past your usual Italian coffee shops for a take out as you walk. Gondola takes about 20 mins or so to get you to the base. Aosta is a nice town too and has one of the best new years events in the main square ... really top stuff!!! Live bands, DJs etc.

If I didn't have to consider the non skiers though, I would deffo book somewhere else. While Pila has great views, some nice runs and bars (Bar Societe - is a beaut) ... it is also very small and the lifts are bit dated and slow and if you don't need the hassle of the uplift to the ski station then why bother. Of course, you could stay in Pila ... but that seemed very very quiet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Champoluc !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
Alagna would not be up there at all for an early intermediate there being more or less no easy skiing in its own valley. And if the wind gets up there won't be any alternates.

Wind can cause problems in Gressoney too, I have been there several times when both the lifts out of Staffal were shut.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy