Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UPDATE: trip to Engelberg - Day Trip Skiing (No, Really!) - 2days1night also acceptable

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch, how long did it take you from airport to parking at isola? Also, 'scuse the ignorance but why auron?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, can't rightly recall. 1hr-1hr15? and I just heard Auron was nicer /better. Haven't been myself to comment though. Isola is nOT PRETTY.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, bit like a mate of mine who still seems to be in his teens, not interested in pretty, just in how quickly I can get to first base, do the business and make a clean get-away! Shocked wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dan, sorry, missed your post rolling eyes. Thanks for the info! Any comments about Bardonecchia, Cesana or Pila? snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did it 3 years ago when we flew Easyjet to Nice 1st week in March, arriving 9:45, was in the car by 10:30 and skiing by 1200 ish I seem to remember. Skied all day till about 5pm, went for a meal in Isola then drove back to Nice and got 20:00 something flight back to luton or Stansted

Easyjet cost was £30 return, car about £40 between us and lift passes £20. On reflection, maybe we should have gone to Milton Keynes ... Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW, Auron is a nicer base camp (ie place to stay) but if we're still talking day trips then Isola is (slightly) nearer, more extensive and who cares about the village if you're there for a day. If it's a weekend though - stay in Auron.

Isola 2000 is concrete and decaying. Think inner city ghetto.

Isola itself is 'Allo 'Allo. For francophiles like me, great! Oldie Worldie, chat to locals ... and dead in terms of anything to do. There isn't ANYTHING to do.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, sorry i don't know any of those but met up with someone who has been to Bardonecchia and was saying that because it's in the same sort of area and it's a lot lower it takes ages to get to the snow and there is less of it, but as i say..........no personal experience, so it could be all tosh Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
B00thy, Dan, thanks, sorry succinct, on 9.2Kbps! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve looked at UK flights in considerably more detail now.

The problem is that ideally you need to arrive at the destination airport no later than 1000 to have the chance to hit the slopes at 1200 and that’s assuming things go smoothly. The departure must be later than 2000 for you to be able to ski till last lift and just make it to the airport by the skin of your teeth.

There are lots of flights from lots of airports which get you there early enough and remarkably few leaving late enough, so the options are actually rather limited.

They are:

Heathrow – Geneva British Airways
Heathrow – Zurich Swiss

Stansted – Milan Bergamo Ryanair
Stansted – Salzburg Ryanair
Stansted – Turin Ryanair

Luton – Geneva Easyjet
Luton – Basel Easyjet
Luton – Nice Easyjet

Gatwick- Milan Malpensa Easyjet weekdays only

Newcastle to Geneva Easyjet Sunday day return only

Leeds Bradford – Geneva jet2.com depart Sat and return Sun
Manchester – Geneva jet2.com depart Sat and return Sun

Most of the southern options above also offer the alternative of an evening outbound flight after 1800 so if you could take the pm off on day 1 you could stay the next 2 nights, getting a full days skiing on days 2 & 3 before flying back on day 3.

Then where to?
Mid-season there are numerous possibilities usually with just a 1 hour drive but outside this I’ve compiled a list of these resorts from various web and cellulose sources which should be surer for snow:

Near Basel 1.5 hours
Engelberg

Near Geneve
1 hour
Chamonix
Argentiere
Flaine
1.5hours
Crans Montana
Villar/Les Diablerets

Near Nice 1 hour
Isola 2000

Near Salzburg
1 hour
St Michael im Lungau
Schladming
1-1.5 hours
Obertauern
Kaprun
1.5 hours
Gasteinertal (Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein etc)

Near Turin 1.5 hours
Champoluc
Gressoney-la-Trinite
Valtournenche
Montgenevre
Serre Chevalier

Near Zurich
1 hour
Flumserberg
1.5 hours
Engelberg

As usual, all views, omissions, corrections welcome and good luck to anyone who has a go! wink snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're doing a Friday night to Monday morning Engleberg trip, will let you know how it goes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, your extent of research is very impressive. Have you now been able to finalise on the dates and locations for yourself?

btw, your last post on this thread was your 2000th - so congratulations on that achievement. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magriggs, thanks, I'm making a day-trip early March!

Ray Zorro, thanks, not as potentially earth-moving as your 2000th wink but at least it wasn't the usual drivel! I was surprised at the limited flight options, and bearing in mind I did look at pretty much all the budget airlines and UK airports. I'm sure I might have missed one or two but not many. It doesn't look like a Feb trip will happen after all, so it's just the day trip to Engelberg before and the quickie weekend to Obertauern after the main event in Tignes this year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a problem from here, Many Dutch go for the day in Sauerland,Germany. (Wilingen & Winterberg).

http://www.upland-wetter.de/

http://www.sauercams.tk/

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, How was it? We need an update wink
snow report
Ray Zorro,
Not sure how much has been open lately... 300cms and -14 Cat the top should be great but don't know about the wind...

Was it the 9th or 11th?
snow report
JT, I have heard briefly from slikedges, he went yesterday and sounded like he had a good time. He said a full report would follow.
latest report
Tragedy or triumph? Here’s how it panned out:

When you’ve only got a day, you want and will it all to go like clockwork. Any deviation from this leaves you with the feeling that it’s all going to start to unravel before you, and you will in fact end up trying to prove what you’ve been saying about it being just as great to spend a day with a mate in a Swiss traffic jam. Which is in fact bullcrap. Toofy Grin

So you can imagine the feeling creeping upon me when my already borderline early enough for a day-trip 0720 EZY return Luton booked rather late £55 flight was delayed. It finally took off at 0750 Skullie , but my heart lifted when we caught up a bit on the flight and it landed at snowy Basel-Mulhouse Euroairport only 15 minutes late at 1020. Smile I left my mate to recover the skis and boots while I went to the Swiss side of the airport (which is nevertheless in France) to sort out the hire car and some chow for the journey. It took me less than 15 minutes to sort both, including chatting up the girl at the sandwich bar, so it should’ve been poss to drive off 25 minutes after touch down with a telephone number but the skis proceeded to take 30 minutes to appear so we weren’t on our way until 1100 (without her number)! Toofy Grin The new 1.4Polo from Europcar via Airline Network came with vignette, winter tyres and chains that would fit its tyres for £52 including excess waiver – not the cheapest but I didn’t fancy squeezing skis into a Ka or equivalent! wink

The route through Basel and onwards to Engelberg is really very straightforward. I brought a portable satnav unit along but it really isn’t necessary and we had excellent printed viamichelin illustrated directions as backup. There is a main artery going through Basel from the north where the airport is, and we got onto it in minutes…straight into a Swiss traffic jam. Skullie The roadworks there at the moment meant we crawled through the first part of the tunnel and I think it cost us more than 10 minutes. The rest of the drive was easy, and despite the recent heavy snows, the roads up to the resort at 1000m were completely snow-free. We drove progressively but not in any way indecently, not being familiar with limits and cameras and leeway given and stuff, really and truly never far above the speed limit. Little Angel

The main road enters the attractive big village/small town of Engelberg from the west. There are 2 main ski areas, on the north left and south right of the road passing through the middle of it. The smaller area on the left Brunni is more suited to beginners and intermediates and the bigger on the right Titlis has more challenging runs, though what the resort is really known for is its extensive off piste which looked great but was strictly for the birds (and the cuckoos amongst them at that Skullie ) on the day I visited. The cable car station for the Titlis area was immediately visible on entering the village and not far after a smallish reservoir on the right is the well sign-posted turning for it. After making the turn, snowHeads’ favourite Stockli shop is just on the right before turning right again towards the entrance to the large but half-empty car park at the foot of the cable car. We parked at 1240.

The carpark is supposed to cost 7chf to park at but I couldn’t see where/how to pay (didn’t look that hard I suppose wink ). A quick change and unpacking the skis etc, no queue for either lift pass office or cable car and we were in the cable car before 1300. A half-day pass was 42chf and is of the electronic card variety which you stick in a pocket on your left and is auto-detected. You get 5chf back if you return the card at the end of the day.

I’d been slightly concerned that the weather predicted only a few days previously was 30cm of snow coming down the day before we were due to arrive and another 30cm on the day itself. However the weather as a local ski instructor with perfect English we chatted to said was completely unexpectedly glorious. The sun was out, the snow plentiful and perfect. The only downer was that obviously off piste was off limits and…both the top lifts, the Rotair to Titlis and Jochstock Express to Jochstock were closed due to winds of 70 to 120km/h! Sad No blacks were accessible, the Laub of course was closed and all but a couple of runs open were graded red. These lower reds at Engelberg all seem to be appropriately graded but whilst fun, none could really be considered challenging. However, for a day there was just about enough variety. Interestingly on this side of the valley at least, the lower beginners and blue area beneath Trubsee was closed and lifts were not running (not sure why). There were a few small moguls to have fun in and the snow was great with scenery to match, so for my first day skiing this season Shocked , it couldn’t’ve been much more enjoyable. Very Happy I took last season’s B2 with me and they were perfect for the conditions. Not that many people wearing helmets (I’d guess at 20%).

We missed the last lift up by about 30 seconds and determined to make the most of the run down from Jochpass to the carpark, reluctantly taking our skis off at 1659! The snow cover was excellent down to resort though getting a bit slushy only in the last couple of hundred metres of vertical.

We took a recommendation for dinner from the friendly local ski instructor and went to the Rostihus Eienwaldli, easily found on Wasserfallstrasse towards the east of the village, which was very friendly and had good reasonably priced food, before leaving at 1900.

Including stopping to refill the hire car for 30chf, we parked up back at Basel airport at 2035 – only to find the 2155 flight had been delayed with no time fixed yet for departure. Shocked We had a slightly anxious hour or so wondering if we’d make it back for our work commitments the next day (me a clinic full of patients and my mate a full operating list), before being told the flight would take off 2300. It finally arrived 2345 in Luton with a feeling of relief that the only thing left to do was the tired but satisfied drive home but also a great feeling that I’d been away for far longer than I really had. Madeye-Smiley

Would I do it again? Yes, and I’m sure I will. An overnighter or a long weekend are preferable, but I can certainly conceive of a time when these aren’t doable and a ski fix is needed. snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 11-03-06 16:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Excellent report slikedges, you've got me thinking again now rolling eyes

There are still loads of cheap flights with Ryanair available...
snow report
slikedges, Nice one ! Very Happy

Ray Zorro, Get in there, you know you really want to wink
snow report
slikedges, Great report, how much was the total cost per person excluding food?
ski holidays
Thanks everyone!

IncogSkiSno, £103.5 (55 flight, 26 car, 16 lift pass (42-5=37chf), 6.5 petrol). Could've been £25 cheaper if flights booked earlier! But good value even at £100 imho. Very Happy
snow conditions
slikedges, Thanks, not too bad, but I would try to go for cheaper though, have you calculated petrol to/from airport UK and parking into that too Puzzled
snow report
slikedges, Well done. I'm personally of the opinion that doing a single day trip is just a little bit asking for trouble, but well done you for accomplishing it!! And I reckon my ski day average cost is somewhere in the region of £100-£110 so you didn't even pay the earth for it.

Nice!!
ski holidays
slikedges,
Great report, thanks for taking the time writing it. I guess £100 per day is less than most people pay per day for a weeks holiday though you do get the full days skiing each day. Unfortunately from Scotland the day trip does not seem very viable though I'm hoping I may still get a day to go up North this year I haven't been so far.
I think you were right not to speed in Switzerland I overheard someone in the cable car this year saying thay had just received a CHF900 on the spot fine for speeding in a village Shocked I was very careful on my drive back.

Sounds like the effort was well worth. snowHead
snow report
slikedges,

If you want to do two days again soon, I'm interested..lets have a mini-meet in Angel mountain..yea..!!
latest report
T Bar it can be done from Scotland! Not a day trip but a quick trip.

I regularly travel from Edinburgh to Frankfurt on a Friday night on the 18:25 Lufthansa flight, drive to Austria on the autobahn in 4 and a half hours, ski all day Saturday, Sunday until about 3pm, drive back to Frankfurt and take the 22:20 back to Edinburgh getting back home at about 11:45pm

Laughing

And into work on the Monday morning.
Confused

It ain't cheap though!

Sad

But I ski dozens of days a season Very Happy Laughing snowHead Laughing Very Happy
snow report
B00thy,

I might just try that, would have to take a half day off on the friday though.
Cheers snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
slikedges, Thanks, not too bad, but I would try to go for cheaper though, have you calculated petrol to/from airport UK and parking into that too Puzzled

No. The way I look at it, I'd've done something that day which would've involved a similar expense so not fair to include those costs (12.50 medium term parking for the day and about the same in petrol, I guess). Toofy Grin

David Murdoch wrote:
slikedges, Well done. I'm personally of the opinion that doing a single day trip is just a little bit asking for trouble, but well done you for accomplishing it!! And I reckon my ski day average cost is somewhere in the region of £100-£110 so you didn't even pay the earth for it.

Nice!!

Thanks DM. I think the day-trip thing is too tiring really, unless you have no option, but cost wise it is cheap. If I'd booked earlier, the cost could've been as little as £75 - as you know some EZY return tickets go for £25 return. Very Happy

T Bar thanks, yes, until you know the system, best not to run up against it (too much) wink

JT wrote:
slikedges,

If you want to do two days again soon, I'm interested..lets have a mini-meet in Angel mountain..yea..!!

I'm going to Tignes for 2 weeks, then back and have a weekend planned for mid April, so probably not this season Sad . However, I'd definitely be on for that early next season. Maybe we can convince some of the other Dawn Choristers or any other sH to come too!! snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

However, I'd definitely be on for that early next season. Maybe we can convince some of the other Dawn Choristers or any other sH to come too!!
I'd be very interested in that Very Happy .
snow report
slikedges, Ray Zorro,

OK
snow conditions
slikedges, Ray Zorro, JT, Early next season would give me time to save, though I may need some more convincing Very Happy
snow report
snowbunny, surely the thought of choosing one of us to share a room with would be convincing enough Puzzled
ski holidays
slikedges, On second thoughts, Christmas will be coming up Shocked
latest report
snowbunny, Laughing
snow conditions
snowbunny,

No, no, you have to come. I'll take you down the glacier .... its really not that steep, you'll be fine.. Laughing
snow report
JT, After Chavanette, everything else seems "really not that steep" Madeye-Smiley
snow report
snowbunny,

Never seen it, but its a piste, right? How steep can it be?
ski holidays
JT, Laughing Laughing Laughing

snowbunny, Looks like you got yourself a room mate wink
latest report
JT,
Quote:

Never seen it, but its a piste, right? How steep can it be?

Here is a picture and some comments on the gradient Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=128991&highlight=chavanette#128991
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy