Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are driving from Milan airport to Madonna February half term.
I have looked at the routes and there seem to be many options. Some shorter and some going a long way around.
I think we would want the best/easiest route into the resort, even if it means driving for longer on the motorway. Does anyone know the best route?
Is a 4x4 necessary and do all hire cars come with snow chains?
How difficult a drive is it if it is snowing? Can the roads be very bad?
Also, we will arrive in the resort Sunday evening. Do you know how late ski hire shops stay open or what time they open on Monday?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
People have been driving up and down the Alps for over 100 years...

Just rent or buy some snowchains. Any car will do. Practice putting the chains on and off the wheels at least once before departing the carpark in Milan (it is a pain to learn in a blizzard halfway up a hill). Punch in the destination to Google Maps or car satnav. Press accelerator and go. About 3-4hrs later you will arrive in MDC.

Skihire shops in peak-season tend to stay open fairly late, but rarely beyond about 6-7pm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is a 4x4 necessary

No
Quote:

do all hire cars come with snow chains?

No
Quote:

Can the roads be very bad?

Yes - but usually they're not

and welcome to snowheads, @timmyk snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well looking at the map the best way looks to be up the west side of Lake Garda and through Tione di Trento. The route via Ponte di Lengno and Tonale would be a long way round and can be very slow over the pass. I can't really see many more options than those two.

Most people in the Alps still seen to be able to manage in 2 wheel drive cars perfectly well, it's only in the UK where we obviously need a 3.0l Tdi engined 2.5 ton 4wd to negotiate our city streets.
You'd be surprised how well something like a Fiat Punto will be in snow with chains on the front, probably better than a big 4wd with normal road tyres.

You will have to phone the hire company or email to see if they can supply chains. Buying them on a Sunday might be difficult. Or you could just risk it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it is not chains and not 4x4 that helps, but propper winter tyres:
- many 4x4 owners believe that it helps in slippery conditions, well it is not! as when cornerning or going down the slippery road no 4x4 or even 8x8 will help, mother nature and laws of physics apply to all! And I am 4x4 driver
- snow chains are only usefull in circa 5% of winter driving conditions and are useless in slush and asphalt!
- winter tyres is the right way to go! but yes, 4x4 with winter tyres will be more capable on snowy conditions than either fwd or rwd vehicle with the same winter tyres. So yes, on bad roads 4x4 with winter tyres will be a benefit. But a regular car with winter tyres and careful driving will in most cases be OK

So all in all, it is not 4x4, but proper winter tyres that give you adequate safety. Snow chains are a useful add-on, but not a replacement for winter tyres! Do not get this false sense of security driving on summer tyres and carrying chains in a trunk!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi we drove to Folgarida in January this year from Bergamo- same route really MDC is a bit further on the same road. We went motorway as far as possible and then up the east side of Garda. The satnav was fine but there's a new(ish) tunnel you need to take about half way along if you go motorway as far as poss. It wasn't on my satnav but google maps had it - saves about 45 mins or so on the journey.

I seem to recall that hire cars out of Venice but maybe not Milan (different adnimistrative regions I think) have to have winter tyres now. Only problem is that the flights to Venice are about twice that to Milan!

Winter tyres are certainly the way to go if you can arrange it - this time we went for the cheapest hire and it was rubbish - no screenwasher - no other car (come back tomorrow.....) big queues also.

Watch out at the airport if they haven't sorted the car hire access. They laid on a coach to go the 150 yds to the parking areas but it was a normal bus and pandemonium with everyone with all their luggage. If it's still a mess one of you should go alone to get the car and drive back to collect the others and the bags - would save a ton of bother.

Next time we will splash the extra and go with Hertz or similar - no queue on pickup or return and I bet they would sort the winter tyres if you booked them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes I'll third that with winter tyres, much better than chains. Unfortunately if your hire company don't do winter tyres then chains are your only option.

I've had the unfortunate experience of driving in snow in the Alps in a powerful 4wd car with chains only on the rear wheels. Not fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 regarding the bus to the hire cars. One of you could actually walk there. Turn right with the airport buildings behind you and keep going past the car parks ... it's a right turn (the only one) and the car hire places are on the right. We were there in the summer - low 30s - not enough buses - use your imagination Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heading to Madonna on January 21st for 4 nights. Our flight is not leaving till 21.30 on the Tuesday. Was looking for advice on the latest time we should leave Madonna for Bergamo airport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The law is (in our part of Italy) that during the winter you need to have snow tyres or carry a set of chains.
I would say you need both.

You can hire cars with snow tyres from EuroCar. We sometimes have 5 of 6 cars at a time from them, all with winter tyres (and chains in the boot).

Chick,
Once you get down the steep road past Pinzolo and down you should be OK. Speak to the hotel manager for a weather forecast as it can take a LONG time if there's much snow on the road. All it takes is one tourist (normally British rolling eyes ) to be at the front of a traffic jam with no winter tyres or chains, and you'll be there for a long time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Lisa we are hoping to ski till 1pm and then leave for Bergamo as our flight leaves at 9.30 pm.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lisa_BrentaSki, is it EuroCar or Europcar? I'm landing at Bergamo in January and will be hiring a car (btw, I am not native EN speaker, but why is eveyone saying 'hiring' rather than 'renting'????) so far found Sixt.it who offer cars with winter tyres at reasonable rates.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mooney058, hire / rent are pretty much interchangable.
Having given it some thought, my feeling is that UK english speakers tend to "rent" houses and "hire" other stuff like cars, ski gear etc, whereas in the american speaking world people "rent" everything but I couldn't tell you why (and I am a native english speaker!) .

I'm sure in a minute someone will be along to shed some proper light or to tell me I'm wrong...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy