Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyons airport - snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So my friends and are travelling from Lyon airport to Les arcs via car rental from the airport.

However, snow chains are an issue for us. The car rental company says that they will not hire us some snow chains with the rental... This I find weird for a country with specific laws about snow chains.

So I have a couple of questions.....our plan is to buy some here and take them with us in our baggage. However, I have little experience of snow chains. Do you have to buy snow chains that will be specific to your vehicle based on tyre / wheel dimensions? Or can you buy generic 'small car' or 'large car' snow chains?

Failing that, can anyone recommend somewhere en route between Lyons airport and les arcs that we could pick them up? For example, are they readily available in supermarkets across there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gadget83 wrote:
For example, are they readily available in supermarkets across there?

Yes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Do you have to buy snow chains that will be specific to your vehicle based on tyre / wheel dimensions?

Yes. And you won't know that till you get the car.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gadget83, chains come in a variety of sizes, so don't buy a pair until you know what tyre size you are trying to fit. Most supermarkets and garages sell chains, so there'll be plenty of opportunity to buy between Lyon and Les Arcs.

What is the rental company? Surprised that they don't have a 'winter equipment' option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My brother in law tried, and failed, to rent chains with a car from the French side of Geneva airport. Europcar, IIRC. It does seem mad, but it happens. There have also been several reports on SHs of people being given the wrong size chains - and finding out at the roadside.....

Buying a pair in a supermarket would be a good idea, if (as everybody hopes) heavy snow is on the cards. Just make sure you have a quick practice in easy conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gadget83, we once hired a VW Golf fitted with snow tyres. During 10 snowy days driving up various mountains from Bourg St Maurice, we never had to fit snow chains once. Carrying the right size snow chains is a must. Sometimes essential and in certain conditions traffic police would not let you continue without them. But snow tyres can minimise how often you have to use snow chains.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gadget83, are they (expecting to) equip you with snow tyres? That would be a bigger issue for me. As stated, you can generally get chains in most petrol stations and supermarkets. But ... as ever, if you need them, so do most other tourists and the stocks are limited...

And you can't pre-order as you won't know what size range you need

rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
My brother in law tried, and failed, to rent chains with a car from the French side of Geneva airport. Europcar, IIRC.
It does seem mad, and the main reason why I rent from the Swiss side of GVA where winter tyres come as standard. I once got caught out with a hire car from Lyon which had regular tyres. It was in October so I didn't think about having chains in the car, but there was a cold snap and snow to resort level. With the regular tyres on the hire car I had no hope of getting up the very modest incline from my apartment, so with a flight looming I had to dig two clear tracks to drive up the road, quite backbreaking with an avy shovel!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Folks

That's brilliant. Thanks for your advice....sorry for not getting back to you sooner.....not online too much.

You've put my mind at ease.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
My brother in law tried, and failed, to rent chains with a car from the French side of Geneva airport. Europcar, IIRC. It does seem mad, but it happens. There have also been several reports on SHs of people being given the wrong size chains - and finding out at the roadside.....

Buying a pair in a supermarket would be a good idea, if (as everybody hopes) heavy snow is on the cards. Just make sure you have a quick practice in easy conditions.

just hired a car from budget at Geneva, on the French side....the desk clerk offerred us snow chains !
Knowing I can buy any on route I declined...
Must depend on hire company, I am sure I have seen them as an option when booking on line but I didn, t pay that much attention this time !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Knowing I can buy any on route"

Knowing the forecast that's probably the thing to do.

However, even with relatively standard rental car sizes, stocks in village garages ar not all that comprehensive and if it's Sunday most places are closed...

So not an easy universal solution.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy