Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Central Switzerland 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
I can't find a Central Switzerland conditions thread, so I thought I'd start one. Scski and I are now living over here, and plan on doing some exploring with our Central Swiss season passes
http://www.schneepasszentralschweiz.ch/

Yesterday were were up at Melchsee-Frutt for a touring based avi course. It was a really good course - I'll post a separate trip report about it (EDIT: report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122255#2804401). Conditions were actually pretty good. My expectations were low, having read so much about poor conditions across the Alps, but (at least) Central Switzterland and the Jungfrau seem to be doing fine for the time of year. Here's a pic taken just outside the main ski area, as we headed up on a short tour.

We didn't ski on piste but all runs were open (it was opening day), including the home run though this was not in great condition. The resort was generally quiet - no problems parking, no queue to get up the mountain and apart from our group(s) it was quiet in our pre/post tour mountain coffee stops. Skiing above 1900m was good, with natural snow. Though there were a few other touring groups about, there was a fair amount of trail breaking on our ascent and we were still able to get fresh tracks in powder on our descent. As expected for the time of year, there were a few rocks about. All in all a really good day out.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 13-12-15 13:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds very nice. In the past we've often travelled as far as Meiringen for a change of scenery, but never any further. Any suggestions for a good base for a couple of nights? We like little villages, and we don't need a zillion km of pistes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@telford_mike, Melchsee is just over the ridge from Meirigen. We are early in our exploring days - so far we have only been to Engelberg, Grindelwald and Melchsee-Frutt, and will be heading to Meirigen-Hasliburg next weekend. So I am maybe not the best person to ask. I liked Melchsee-Frutt, but it depends what you are after. It is small from a pisted/vertical point of view - 32km piste, mainly between 1900-2250m. I think the majority of the pistes are north facing. The snow was good and the village up the mountain was sweet. There are plenty of off-piste opportunities and a whole side accessible only by skinning. I would happy to spend the whole day there on piste as well, but I am easily entertained. We will definitely go back - but it's really close to us and reasonably priced to stay overnight. I'll update the thread throughout the season as we explore.

Are you out in Wengen for the season?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gämsbock, almost the season - we have to go home at the end of March as daughter #1 is getting married (most inconsiderate timing if you ask me). Please keep the updates coming, always nice to see places that are off the beaten track Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you ski the Mythen region or some of the other smaller areas in central Switzerland I'd also be interested to here your views. I've skied Andermatt/Sedrun and Engelberg but not any of the smaller ski areas near to Lucerne.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 13-12-15 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm a big fan of Engelberg and have been there several times. When travelling on the train up from Lucerne, I've seen signs and lifts to some small resorts: Giswil/Moerlialp, Dallenwil/Wirzweli and Bannalp. I'd be fascinated to hear what they're like if you every end up there this season. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is anyone in resort that can provide an update on latest piste conditions at Murren, Wengen, Zermatt, Saas-Fee or Davos? Need to decide which one to visit for a few days later this week. Cheers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@telford_mike, that is very inconsiderate, I hope you're not paying for it! wink

@Millom, we will try to later in the season.

@LOTA, Mörlialp is on our pass so will definitely try to get up there at some point.

@skidm, there is a Jungfrau thread here with a recent update from @telford_mike,
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83079&highlight=jungfrau&start=2000

and a Zermatt thread here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121630
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers @Gämsbock.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skidm wrote:
Is anyone in resort that can provide an update on latest piste conditions at Murren, Wengen, Zermatt, Saas-Fee or Davos? Need to decide which one to visit for a few days later this week. Cheers.

I'll be lonely in Engelberg tomorrow and Thursday if you want a buddy. Best snow in Switzerland at the minute (allegedly)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tccambs, decided on Murren and Wengen, arriving on Thursday. Fingers crossed the snow that's forecast for tomorrow actually falls! Enjoy Engelberg.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied Engelberg with tccambs today. Great weather and snow up high was almost as good as I have skied the whole season.

Best snow at the top of the glacier (3,000m) down to Stand at 2,428m which was really good grippy snow with some nice soft patches to mess around in too.
Itinerary entrance from the glacier at the very top has a couple of bare spots showing through, but fairly easily negotiated. Once in, it is pretty good bar the odd rock peeking through.Top 1/3 of Jochstock-Jochpass run was also pretty good.

However, anything below around 2,200 was pretty hard pack with bare patches in a couple of places and the home run to Engelberg requires strong teeth and sharp edges!

Heading to Melchsee-Frutt on Saturday for a spin around the cruisey pistes there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tccambs, @Touchguru, I am based in and live in Engelberg if you need anything let me know!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back at Melchsee-Frutt this weekend for a ski course run by our local ski club. On Saturday morning there was some drama when the distinctive smell of burning clutch entered the coach, and we duly failed to get up the hill! The resort kindly sent buses and vans to come and get us, and the bus company sorted out a replacement during the day. It was raining proper down to about 1800m. Not a terribly inspiring sight at Stöckalp first thing

Most of the higher lifts were closed so we were mainly skiing around 2000m, in heavy precipitation that looked like snow but was very very wet. Visibility was also rather limited, and the resort is almost entirely above the treeline. After lunch the temperature seemed to drop and the snow became more snow like. We also managed to get up higher, where there was about 15cm of fresh snow. The pistes at Melchsee-Frutt don't seem to be bashed in the sense of smoothing the underlying terrain, so with the vis (or lack thereof) it sometimes felt like we were on a skiers cross course. All good fun. Though the home run to Stöckalp (1080m) was open, we were skeptical and took the gondola down. Looking down on it we could see that parts of it (the summer road parts) had just a thin layer of slush over the tarmac, so were glad of our choice.

On Sunday the temperature had definitely dropped a tad, and it had continued to snow overnight. Mainly it didn't snow during the day, but vis was still fairly rubbish, though the clouds came in and out a bit.

The rain at lower levels had washed away much of the snow there, but up high there was a good 30cm+ fresh powder.

On piste was nice grippy snow.

My first powder skiing of the season and I was in proper WHOOP WHOOP mode, though slightly regretting my choice of ski. We're going back next weekend so IF it continues to snow this week as forecast the preachers will definitely be coming out to play then.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fattes13 wrote:
@tccambs, @Touchguru, I am based in and live in Engelberg if you need anything let me know!

Thanks @Fattes13

I am going to Hoch Y Brig on Saturday and hoping that the predicted Thursday/Friday/Saturday snowfall arrives!
snow report
I always think
Quote:

Hoch Y Brig

looks as though it ought to be in Wales!
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
I always think
Quote:

Hoch Y Brig

looks as though it ought to be in Wales!

Smile Certainly more snow there than in Wales!
ski holidays
Skied Hoch Y Brig today and it snowed for all but 30 minutes just before lunchtime when the sun came out for a glorious couple of runs. Mixture of hazy visibility and some soup runs!
Pistes were covered in around 15-20cm of fresh snow and the off piste in-between the pistes was great fun with some deep wind blown areas leading to a good few face shots.
Great day today...but if the snow continues tomorrow and the predicted Monday sunshine comes...it will be something special!
ski holidays
With the sun expected to come out tomorrow and lots of areas getting snow, I am looking for anyone keen to go off piste skiing tomorrow (Monday 18th) from around 9:30am/10am (within 90 minutes of Zurich) for a few hours.

Fairly decent off piste skiing level would be preferable, but off piste kit and safety knowledge more essential than how fast you ski.

Anyone around and keen?
snow report
Spent Saturday and Sunday in Melchsee-Frutt again. The snow over the last week has transformed the resort and the home run is now in good condition, and possible to ski off-piste in the trees also. Saturday was a good day - snowing, but visibility came in and out, enough to play in the powder close to the pistes. Had some great fun getting fresh tracks on those runs. It continued to snow overnight and was still snowing when we arrived back on Sunday morning.

Stöckalp looking a lot more welcoming and snowy.

Sunday was a very different day - very poor visibility, and high winds. Went up to Bonistock first thing but didn't stay long - the only place I've been in conditions like that before was on Cairngorm. Picked our way back to the treeline unable to see even the marker poles. In the afternoon the sky looked like it was clearing so we headed up to the Erzegg chair to avoid the crowds. Wow, what a change a day had made - the high winds had resulted in completely scoured slopes and corresponding drifts. When we got up there we couldn't see a thing. We took the (open) piste to the right off the lift and appeared to be the first people to ski it all day (at 2pm) - we were trail breaking through 2ft snow on the traverse.

Scski trail breaking on piste.

Headed back over the other side to the trees and did a few more runs there. Sun came out about 4pm Happy
snow conditions
I'll be hitting the slopes of Engleberg for a few days early March, arriving by train from Zurich airport. Does anyone know if it's more cost effective to book train tickets online, buy them at the station or purchase the Swiss Transfer Ticket from the UK?
snow conditions
I book a Swiss Supersaver ticket online - half the normal standard fare and much cheaper than the Swiss Transfer Ticket. The main condition is you travel on a specific train.

www.sbb.ch/en should do the trick.
ski holidays
Cheers @LOTA, will check it out.
snow report
I think you can only book a month in advance but you should be ok for early March (I have two days to wait before I can book for March 14!) Glad to help with any more info re Engelberg (except the new gondola as I haven't seen that yet!) Very Happy
snow conditions
@LOTA, I'm out there on March 04, pity our paths won't cross. I've got 2.5 days slope time. Rough plan was : day-1 Titlis on-piste, day-2 Titlis off-piste and day-3 Brunni. Are you able to advise on a few things? :

Can you recommend an off-piste guide? I'll be boarding.
Is Brunni side worth a visit for half a day?
Where's the best apres!?

Cheers in advance.
latest report
@skidm, I did the Laub 'classic' with some Swedish blokes from my hotel (perhaps not the most sensible option!). There's a mountain guide office in town (www.engelbergmountainguide.ch) and it might be worth talking to Boardlocal, the Swiss snowboarding school (www.boardlocal.ch).

The Brunni is a pleasant morning or afternoon diversion but nothing like as extensive or as interesting as the Titlis side. With only two-and-a-half days in resort, I wouldn't bother but I do recall having a huge amount of fun skiing down to the valley to Fellenruti and ending up in a farmyard and being chased by the farmer's dog (he was friendly, the dog not the farmer!). If you do this, you need to coordinate with the bus timetable as it's a long, long walk back to the railway station and/of the Titlis lift station.

Best apres: the Yucatan (go for jugs of beer during happy hour) and the Hotel Hohenek bar when they have a band on (several times a week).
snow conditions
Great stuff @LOTA, this is why I love snowheads snowHead !
snow report
Any thoughts on good spots for this Easter weekend - any chances of avoiding the slush and the crowds?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty quiet on the mountain (titlis) today.
High cloud in the am, which dropped down after lunch. Quite quiet on the jockstock, prob cos the vis was poor!. Steady damp snow for most of the day, which was lying nicely by the time we called it at 3pm. If the sun comes out Saturday it'll be an early start to hit the Laub. Hope to hook up with Engelberg guides ...
snow conditions
Well, the angel pulled out all the goodies today. Bluebird day, and powder to boot. The new lift firm town to Stand is much faster.... And they open early at Easter weekend. We were on the Laub entry at 0830, but it was closed due to avalanche risk... Plan B was to ride jockstock and hit the valley.... Can't quite believe we were the fourth group to duck the rope..... The whole flank was untracked and cold.... Fresh tracks ... So we did it again, and again, and again. By the fourth run, a few others had started to make the traverse.... But it was still quiet. Fast forward to 11 am and it was starting to look tracked... And by 2 it was tracked out. Definitely worth the early start. Since nice runs elsewhere the sun doesn't reach.... But even at 3pm a few of the jockstock couloirs were only lightly touched, si we left our tracks and headed for the apres.... Chalet has a live band, as does Ski Lodge. Checked in with Engelberg Guides and booked on the Easy Touring day tomorrow.... Fingers crossed! Wilkommen aus Schweize!
snow conditions
Heading to Engelberg with the missus in tow for a few days snowboarding later this week. Snow is forecast so hopefully should be a decent last trip of the Winter... Any advice re guides/runs appreciated, not sure what will still be open/accessible as its so late in the season.

Thanks in advance!

(crosses fingers that the snowboards survive Easyjet.....) 😊😊😊
snow conditions
Not a great deal open today (glacier and Jochstock both closed). How they manage to keep the run to the valley open with a ribbon of snow is always astounding. Some snow forecast for Friday so it may pick up a little.

http://www.engelberg.ch/en/open-trails/
snow report
Thanks for the update (and the link) 😊
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy