Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis - need any preparation?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, dumb question but here goes. I have skied for years, always on rental gear. This year I bought new skis (K2 frontside skis) because of a deal - on last year's model by Internet order from an outdoor company -- that was too good to refuse. Question - do I need to do anything with the skis before using them? (Aside from bindings of course) Eg, wax them or otherwise prepare them for use? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They will have some wax on them, which might or might not be adequate. The last time I had new skis (a while ago, hint...) I took them to Tamworth Snowdome for an hour or two, which quickly strips off any wax, and started from there with a hot wax and scrape down.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depending upon how demanding you inherently are, you can do nuthin', or, just the opposite. I've never seen a set of skis that did not benefit from a full (hand) tune and a full initial wax, followed by subsequent waxings and maintainance. Inasmuch as you purchased via internet, I would hope that wherever you call home a competent ski shop is nearby to get things right as per binding/release check, getting boots/bindings right and inspecting the skis (base) and making them spot on. If no shop nearby, then give the skis to a competent shop at the resort. (TIP: When on the road I always leave my skis at a shop at the mountain base each afternoon after I ski for a hot wax. I get the skis waxed and get to leave my poles and boots behind, too. Don't have to hump that stuff. For a few doubloons typically bolstered by a case of beer or a good bottle of wine to the staff - which many times precipitates "No charge, Sir" - it's money well spent. And my skis are perfect each a.m., right there at the base)

Base irregularities, principally that of railed or base high (typically up front) is not uncommon and needs to be checked and if same exists, eliminated or reduced as much as possible. That's the biggest potential culprit. Keep the bases and edges right, keep the bases waxed, (in a pinch "Zardox" works wonders), keep the binding and boots clean.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As @Chris Bish, says, there will be factory wax on them but it won't be great. A simple hot wax from your local ski shop will be fine, you don't need to worry about the edges.

I'm assuming that's all you're talking about, and that the bindings have been mounted and adjusted to your DIN settings?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The edges should be good. With new skis I give them a really good wax, maybe three or four applications with a hot scrape each time, basically keep waxing and scraping until the wax is clear. If you have bought the skis on line then check (have them checked) the bindings with your boots for forward pressure and correct DIN.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
People love their rituals and ski waxing is one of them. Unless you are racing then save yourself a load of hassle / money and just go ski them.
It is very rare to get conditions where waxing will have any material impact to a casual skier. I put some wax on at the end of a season - mostly to stop the edges rusting. If I'm running 2% slower then that has no impact as far as I'm concerned.

Oh - and for the final grenade - wax doesn't penetrate bases!

Edges are a different matter - well worth keeping them sharp unless you are always in the soft, but on a new set of skis they are generally going to be fine unless you are very particular.

... takes cover...!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BenA wrote:

It is very rare to get conditions where waxing will have any material impact to a casual skier.

OK, I'll bite!

The above isn't true. A season of skiing every day taught me that waxing your skis every 10 days or so does wonders for your speed, especially in sticky spring snow. Friction is a thing - really.

And when you are skating along a flat area, or trying to get some speed up on a trail, friction is your enemy!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to confess that I have never done anything with a pair of new skis, just skied on them. I'm not good enough to notice teeny problems. wink

Certainly waxing makes a difference - but new ones are waxed, if not optimally.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^^ The same. Factory finish is usually totally adequate.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the other hand................

I'd sort out the edges then hot wax a couple of times to clean the crap out of the bases.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ harry - I'm obviously trolling a bit, but do think that most people obsess about these things to a level way beyond where it will impact their ability. Sticky spring snow is the one condition that I would agree waxing has a bigger impact. Personally I have no issue with a bit more friction generally on flats - maybe my floppy heels make me less sensitive to it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks to all. I appreciate the conflicting variety of answers that my innocent query provoked.

My bindings should be good. It sounds like waxing may be worthwhile though not essential.

I am a casual weekend skier based in Geneva, so I will schlep the skis to some local shop during the week, or better, next time we ski I will leave them with a resort shop for tuning and waxing while we are having a meal or a drink.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always find that sacrificing a snowboarder to the God of the pistes works wonders for a new pair of skis. Seems to make the skis super-fast.

The blood is a bit messy — but a few hours on the slopes and the snow will just wash that off. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try just giving them a good polish with Mr sheen Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Leave them in the cupboard if it does not snow and use rentals, the dings are self repairing !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy