Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To go or to stay,,,Colfosco, Sella Ronda - 16december

Poster: A snowHead
To go or to stay,,,,,Colfosco Sella Ronda 16th december, We have planned on going to Colfosco for a weeks sking from 16 december, there has been no snow in the area , though they have been making snow and the Sella Ronda is curently open one way?? and due to open both ways on Sunday ??, We would like to know from someone who has skied the piste or in the area what conditions are like and if it is worth going or should we cancel our trip. Live cams from the area are very limited ?? and looks like warmer weather for the coming week Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know anything about the piste conditions, but if you don't go can you have a ski holiday later in the season, or is this your only option. Will you be out of pocket on accomodation, car hire etc,

We are booked to fly out on 30th and have decided to go and enjoy the break.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trip report on a German ski forum with pics illustrating current conditions:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54596

It looks skiable, if not particularly pretty...I think the decision to cancel or not would hinge on the financial implications...if you won't lose out too much and can re-book for a later date. If it's all paid and you'll lose the lot if you cancel, then go and make the best of it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mid week next week could produce some real white stuff according to today's forecast.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another trip report with photos from last weekend...white strips amidst brown meadows, but blissfully quiet and looks complete with the artificial snow...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54559
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@luigi,

At least, 'when' the snow does come, it'll have a decent base.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are happy to go sking if piste condition are general good enough over the resort, It is pointless going if piste conditions are poor .
So far I have not heard from anyone who has skied in the last few days that conditions are reasonable. and the fact that the live cams are not working ?? or have limited views concerns me
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@omas brumm, I was in Sella Ronda last weekend and beginning of this week and it was superb. OK, the webcams look like its a disaster but they had perfect man made snow top to bottom and most of SR was open both ways. about -6 at resort level at night and they had the cannons working overtime. By morning the whole place was groomed corduroy and indistinguishable from real snow. The hotel had had a load of cancellations but really there was no need. The upshot was that we had most runs to ourselves.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@omas brumm, reckon it comes down to how much it "costs" you to cancel? If the financial cost is limited or you can absorb it then based on some of those trip reports maybe delay till later when there might be more snow. If you are all in and comitted, but can reajust your expectations then go ahead. If you will be really sad that there is limited natural snow and just being in the mountains and eating good food and wine won't cheer you up (fair enough!) then maybe cut your losses. I think you just need to manage expectations at this stage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
omas brumm wrote:
We are happy to go sking if piste condition are general good enough over the resort, It is pointless going if piste conditions are poor .
So far I have not heard from anyone who has skied in the last few days that conditions are reasonable. and the fact that the live cams are not working ?? or have limited views concerns me

I've skied in March in the Ronda where there's only white strips between brown grass - still a great week.

Why would you want to spend a week at home when you could be in the mountains with nice food, wine and some decent skiing, I'm off tomorrow to the 3v which has had a bit more - I'm not expecting a lot but it'll be a lot better than in the uk for sure!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@omas brumm, The Bergfex webcam for today shows that they have artificial snow covered piste with skiers on it on the side valley (Edelweisstal) in Colfosco: http://www.bergfex.com/sommer/corvara/webcams/c9214/

and of course the blue run below the Edelweisstal which forms part of the Sella Ronda circuit is also (artificial) snow covered and open: http://www.bergfex.com/sommer/corvara/webcams/c9213/

So you'll definitely be able to ski, and I'd definitely go! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Why would you want to spend a week at home when you could be in the mountains with nice food, wine and some decent skiing,

Possibly to have a week in the mountains with nice food, wine, lovely snow-covered mountains and lots of natural snow, later in the season. If you can cancel without cost, and if you can only afford one trip, that makes perfect sense. Depends, as @nozawaonsen says, on the cost of cancelling.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They are reporting 474km of skiing. There won't be anywhere else approaching half that amount of skiing in the northern hemisphere ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've seen this quoted a bit but it's for the Dolomiti Superski which is a much bigger area than just the Sella Ronda connected part. That's not to say it isn't an unbelievable effort of snow making! It's hard to tell the exact figure for the main connected part but seems to be around 175km.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote @Pruman, @omas brumm, I was in Sella Ronda last weekend and beginning of this week and it was superb. OK, the webcams look like its a disaster but they had perfect man made snow top to bottom and most of SR was open both ways. about -6 at resort level at night and they had the cannons working overtime. By morning the whole place was groomed corduroy and indistinguishable from real snow. The hotel had had a load of cancellations but really there was no need. The upshot was that we had most runs to ourselves.

Thank you for the reply Pruman , Great to hear from somebody who has been out sking the piste.
Looking forward to hearing from somebody who has been out sking this weekend.
If we do go I will give a report on piste conditions later next week when we have skied for those coming out over Christmas

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 12-12-15 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Millom wrote:
I've seen this quoted a bit but it's for the Dolomiti Superski which is a much bigger area than just the Sella Ronda connected part. That's not to say it isn't an unbelievable effort of snow making! It's hard to tell the exact figure for the main connected part but seems to be around 175km.

Bergfex are indeed quoting 474km open out of 500km for the Sella Ronda area.

http://www.bergfex.com/sellaronda-dolomiten/schneebericht/

But when you look at the Dolomiti Superski website, it shows that less than half of the available slopes are open in each valley,

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/live-info/open-slopes

There appears to be 494km open out of the total 1299km across all 12 areas the Dolomiti Superski region.

There are 226km open across the 4 areas that are part of the Sella Ronda linked area, but of course, not all the pistes in Val Gardena or Val di Fassa are lift-linked to the Sella Ronda, so 175-200km in the lift-linked areas would sound about right.

Still pretty impressive seeing as it hasn't snowed there since 16th October!! Shocked
snow report
There the calculations I made too Smile!
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
Millom wrote:

Bergfex are indeed quoting 474km open out of 500km for the Sella Ronda area.

http://www.bergfex.com/sellaronda-dolomiten/schneebericht/

But when you look at the Dolomiti Superski website, it shows that less than half of the available slopes are open in each valley,

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/live-info/open-slopes

There appears to be 494km open out of the total 1299km across all 12 areas the Dolomiti Superski region.

There are 226km open across the 4 areas that are part of the Sella Ronda linked area, but of course, not all the pistes in Val Gardena or Val di Fassa are lift-linked to the Sella Ronda, so 175-200km in the lift-linked areas would sound about right.

Still pretty impressive seeing as it hasn't snowed there since 16th October!! Shocked

180m of overcrowded uk snowdome, crap weather, and no holiday, OR 492KM of fresh air, wine and good food.............. erm, let me think Happy

Lets be honest, a flat light, icy, half open italian resort is still a wee bit better than being home Happy - I know it seems a tough one though Cool
snow conditions
Yes if you've already paid not if you haven't!
snow conditions
Has anyone been out on piste in the Sella Ronda over the weekend , if so what have conditions been like , how skiable are the slopes. Looking at the web cams the piste look narrow, with very little base, and may be dangerous, with very few people on the slopes
Would really like to know before we make up our mind to go or not. any information from those in the area appreciated , as I have had good advice from this forum before
snow report
@omas brumm, "narrow" - I estimate 20-100 metres wide, plenty wide enough and no people there to really get in the way. There is pasture under that snow and it requires very little base but that said they have made quite a depth and I didn't see any bare patches at all. Why you think it might be dangerous I don't know.
snow report
Looks like we are going to cancel
ski holidays
omas brumm wrote:

Really, will you not lose out financially? The advice on here seemed to be it would be fine.
ski holidays
Quote:

will you not lose out financially?

That's not the only consideration though, is it? Being there, buying a pass and eating and drinking, will all cost money. So even if there is a financial penalty for cancelling it can make sense to save as much as possible for a trip later in the year. The freezing level in the alta badia is forecast to be up to 3000m this coming week, and however clever the Italians are with their snow cannons, a thin covering will be taking a bashing from those temperatures. Conditions (like everywhere else, not just Italy) are bound to be deteriorating for the next week.
snow report
[quote="sugarmoma666"]
omas brumm wrote:

Really, will you not lose out financially? The advice on here seemed to be it would be fine.[/q uote)

Pre Christmas sking you only pay for flights in full (cheap) and at most a small deposit on hotel - they will take a booking on a "no snow- no go" or on the fact you have flights booked
Still have no replies as to what the current piste conditions are on the Sella Ronda
ski holidays
Not if you're with a TO. This late you'd get nearly nothing back.

If you are in a position to cancel and not lose much you're in a better situation than many so probably best to just make your decision and stick to it.

People have given their advice and you can view the webcams?! I'm not sure there is much to discuss Shock.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 13-12-15 23:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just go.

Skiing on white strips of snow in brown-green meadows is oddly beautiful.

Rock-dodging and grass-hopping are good fun and add to the skiing challenge.

Italy has the prettiest mountains in Europe and the best food in the world.

Italy in Dec 2015 is currently having its worst start to the season in living memory. Only snowguns have saved the day. That is a good "war story" to milk during those tedious small-talk convos at bars, restaurants and chalets for the rest of your skiing career.

Just do it.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

will you not lose out financially?

That's not the only consideration though, is it? Being there, buying a pass and eating and drinking, will all cost money. So even if there is a financial penalty for cancelling it can make sense to save as much as possible for a trip later in the year. The freezing level in the alta badia is forecast to be up to 3000m this coming week, and however clever the Italians are with their snow cannons, a thin covering will be taking a bashing from those temperatures. Conditions (like everywhere else, not just Italy) are bound to be deteriorating for the next week.

Thank you pam w This is pretty much as I see it,all so we are organized to go, work school etc but this can be changed. Just finding it hard to get actual up todate info from some one who has skied the Stella Ronda over the weekend so to make a Final decision
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hard decision, @omas brumm - I sympathize.
snow conditions
^ About 60% of all lifts in Alta Badia (Colfosco, etc.) were open today (Sun).

Almost all artifical snow, but onpiste is fine for beginners, intermediates and advanced cruisers.
ski holidays
Thank you for that Whitegold. Did you ski yourself today in Alta badia
snow report
Another photo report of the Sellaronda from this weekend just gone (12th-13th) on the Alpinforum...may help with imminent decisions...all looks in remarkable condition and spectacularly empty for a Sunday...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54626
latest report
@luigi, all looks in remarkable condition and spectacularly empty for a Sunday...

thats the part that worries me...............??????????????
only one way to find out for shure
ski holidays
@omas brumm, yeah, just go.
ski holidays
@omas brumm, Cut your losses and plan a trip for later in the season.
snow report
omas brumm wrote:
@luigi, all looks in remarkable condition and spectacularly empty for a Sunday...

Most of the Sellaronda photos show some skiers, just not as many as you might expect on a Sunday...so it's obviously very skiable, but local daytrippers can wait for prettier conditions.
snow report
There's World Cup racing on the Saslong on Fri & Sat...

http://www.saslong.org/?lang=eng

They speak of 'perfect training conditions' on the course...but then I guess they wouldn't say any different...but it does look pretty good on the Alpinforum photos...

http://abload.de/img/img_7286fysp5.jpg
snow conditions
omas brumm wrote:

Well now I know for shure,,!,,,,,,,,,,,,,Piste conditions are very good on Thursday , sun was shinning and it was quite warm., very enjoyable day sking
It is simply amazing what snow making can do, both in terms of area covered and quality of snow.

Pruman thank you again for your post above quite accurate
ski holidays
@omas brumm, Congratulations on biting the bullet and going out there, (as many of us recommended wink ). As you say, the snow making facilities in the Dolomites are amazing. I'm sure you and your group will have an enjoyable stay. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Are they still playing golf on the Corvara course as you ski through it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy