Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long does it take to break new Ski boots in?

Poster: A snowHead
Bought a new pair after having problems with rentals.Just wondering how long it takes to break them in?Does it affect your skiing or is it more of a comfort thing?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't break ski boots in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The liners pack down a bit after a few days skiing. It's a comfort thing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The comfort will make you ski better because you're not thinking about how uncomfortable your feet are. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, I must be a super hero... 'cos I certainly have!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@FullyTucked, mine with Zipfit liners were such a lovely snug fit that for the first few days it was rather noisy down in our basement as I struggled to get them on but once on they never gave me any problems. We have our boots on warmers which I think helps getting them on first thing. And the fact that the boots fitted so well helped my skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
I'm with flangesax. Utter nonsense.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FullyTucked, I think you need to be ,more specific about your current 'problem'. Liner packs down within a few days but some problems may persist and reflect boot 'fitting' issues. This may @under a new name point.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The boots are plastic, and that will just stay the way it is, and can't be broken in. Temperature is going to have a much bigger effect; the boots may be comfy in the shop and at home, but wait until it's cold on the piste Very Happy

It the liners that can take time to soften somewhat and bed-in. And that depends on what sort of liners you have and how they were fitted. e.g.: last year I had a new pair of boots and ZIP liners from CEM. Colin told me it would take 3 days before they stopped hurting a bit, and he was spot on. But now the boots are just perfectly super-snug and tight all round.

There is little point in walking around your living room in them; just wait until you get on the piste.

JamesN is spot-on about the skiing! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The liners gradually pack down with time. They do not break in as such but gradually get floppeir and floppier. After a couple months of use you will find you have to do them up a notch tigher for comfort. After about 50 weeks or so you will need to get a new tighter fitting pair.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:

+1

You don't break ski boots in. They're the Jack Bauer of footwear they break your feet in.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It may depend on how big the change in altitude is between 'having them moulded' and first day skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It may depend on how big the change in altitude is between 'having them moulded' and first day skiing.

Don't forget about the different size and types of snow crystals that can get under the buckles...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, @Raceplate,

As any fule knos, "breaking in" refers to wearing leather boots until they literally begin to break down and the leather forms itself to your feet.

1. You are not going to break in a rigid shell (duh).

2. The easing of the liner is not the same as breaking them in.

If they don't fit well, no amount of wearing them will "break them in" so that they do fit well.

None.

(I note that there have existed some boots with "flow" fits of some description but my recollection was that they didn't work particularly well).

So, @flangesax, no, you haven't. They still don't fit properly and are now too big. And, @Raceplate, no, not utter nonsense at all.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 11-12-15 8:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@FullyTucked, I have found that when they fit correctly, the first 3 days are at least uncomfortable but can be downright painful. And there's not much you can do about that. Then they start to sort themselves out and after about a week are fine. If they are still painful at that point, then go back to the fitter for tweaks.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
@FullyTucked, I have found that when they fit correctly, the first 3 days are at least uncomfortable but can be downright painful. And there's not much you can do about that. Then they start to sort themselves out and after about a week are fine. If they are still painful at that point, then go back to the fitter for tweaks.

that sounds about right^^^^^^^

it takes a few days for the foam in the liners to start to pack down a bit and your feet to get used to not being in flipflops or trainers all summer, trouble is people want instant gratification and if it doesn't feel right after 20 minutes in a fridge they assume the boot is completely wrong. if you have fitted boots then 3-4 days for everything to settle, if you gamble and pick a colour they may be the same, but may be great for those first 3-4 days before they start to rattle on your feet
snow report
You can't break the shells in quickly as such, but they must soften over time, as they do wear out. I used a pair of rentals in Whistler last season, and the left hand one's shell was soft, knackered and useless with far too much flex...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-12-15 13:36; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Harry Flashman, used for a fat one-legged skier?
snow report
@Gämsbock, completely agree mate... Almost as if you've broken the boot in.
Or should I write 'boot' to avoid any confusion? rolling eyes
snow conditions
@flangesax, I chose my words carefully Laughing
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Harry Flashman, used for a fat one-legged skier?

They saw me coming!
snow report
Quote:

That would be my experience. Can vividly remember 3 days of knocking the catches off at every chance, then suddenly was able to ski in them all day. That was 8 years ago....I'm getting a bit scared that I might have to go through it all again soon
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
under a new name wrote:

+1

You don't break ski boots in. They're the Jack Bauer of footwear they break your feet in.

+2

Always used to say that to people "the boots break your feet in" unless absolute beginner boots then you compress the liner till you feel as though you are skiing in wellies filled with water, then you buy better boots.
snow report
My last two pairs took at least two days for my shins to be broken in... Thought of ever getting new boots ever again scares me Sad
snow conditions
Gämsbock wrote:
@FullyTucked, I have found that when they fit correctly, the first 3 days are at least uncomfortable but can be downright painful. And there's not much you can do about that.

There is something you can do - wear women's knee length tights instead of ski socks for the first few days. I'm sure people will laugh, but if it is good enough for Kilian Jornet...
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, did you shave your frot calfs? Seriously, it's the pulling of the hairs that sometimes does the damage...
snow report
@Oceanic, they go by the name of pop socks, not sure why though.
snow conditions
!!! STOP THIS RIDICULOUS BANTER !!!

We've been told that it is impossible to break ski boots in!
How dare you all make sensible suggestions and offer guidance about the impossible!

Stop it.... Stop it NOW!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's a little piece of logic for the semantic pedants in the room to ponder:

If ski boots never break in, how do they wear out? Toofy Grin
snow report
@Raceplate, it's pretty clear.

I don't understand your confusion.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I don't understand your confusion.

No issue, I wouldn't expect you to. Laughing
latest report
@Raceplate, now I am confused twice over. Time for a nice lunch. Cool
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
Here's a little piece of logic for the semantic pedants in the room to ponder:

If ski boots never break in, how do they wear out? Toofy Grin

The soles wear, the binding 'edges' wear, the buckles wear/break, the shells get scratched/knocked. And if the Mrs doesn't know they don't wear out, it's a good excuse for a new pair Toofy Grin
snow report
@FullyTucked, if they are fitted properly they should be right from the start in my experience, its usually shins that need time to harden (if skiing with weight forward).......
snow report
@Markymark29, or shins that needs to be shaved ...
snow conditions
@flangesax,
Is it just us or has the pfaffing season started Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Oceanic wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:
@FullyTucked, I have found that when they fit correctly, the first 3 days are at least uncomfortable but can be downright painful. And there's not much you can do about that.

There is something you can do - wear women's knee length tights instead of ski socks for the first few days. I'm sure people will laugh, but if it is good enough for Kilian Jornet...

I believe women's underwear also helps with carving movements...

At least that's the excuse I use Toofy Grin
latest report
Lots of people seem to not be getting the actual question. And yes if we were being pedantic (I don't know why people like riding that horse so much) then technically breaking ski boots in isn't possible.

Meanwhile, in the real world where people use their common sense. Yes, it takes a while for your feet to get used to your ski boots. If you don't wear a pair of boots/shoes for ages or buy new they feel unforcomfortable when you eventually put them on. Not because they've changed, or your feet, but because each shoe/boot cradles your foot slightly differently based on a huge amount of varying factors of the actual piece of footwear being worn.

For example. My hiking boots are 5 years old and I have literally hiked several thousand kilometers in them. They're very comfortable, but after 5 months of not wearing them, and my feet being used to my Ski boots they feel hideously uncomfortable, like some little gremlin has been shrinking and stretching them in wierd ways that don't feel nice. There's nothing wrong with them in reality, just my feet have become un-used to them.

The same works in reverse from hiking boots to ski boots. Or ANY piece of footwear that you've not worn for a long time, or bought new.

After a couple of days they'll feel like i never took 'em off, in the meantime I'm sure i'm going to suffer with lots of toe and arch cramps.

Oh well.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 12-12-15 17:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
It took a week for my new boots to bed in, now they're perfect!
snow conditions
Mountain Addiction, Some ski boots have liners that will flow around your foot, they can also flow downwards if they have not been worn for a while.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy