Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for snow? 16th Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Please help... I have left it as long as possible, but am no further forward on the snow front or where/when it will come.

I am flying into Geneva on the 16th with my daughter and her friend, and we just don't know where to go for the snow,

I have a hire car from Budget (I don't know which side Puzzled ) and am happy to drive for 2-3 hours if needed. As the name implies I am fairly new at this, having only been skiing for 2-3 years, and therefore don't have the detailed resort knowledge needed.

Unless we misjudge a turn, we are strictly on piste with myself confident on reds, easy blacks, daughter and friend blues and easy reds.

My question is where should we be heading? I was looking at Belle Plagne (as we have been before) but as it isn't open yet I don't know what state it will be in when we get there, or how much will be open (although the high webcams look appealing).

Tignes seems to be getting some good reports of reasonable snow, but is there anywhere else I should be looking.

I know there are no crystal balls Confused but any help, advice or ideas would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just come back from Tignes and the snow was good there and there are plenty of runs available.

Val Thorens would be another option.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes would be my choice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bernese Oberland also worth considering http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/217831
Usual caveats regarding exchange rate apply
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@newby, agree with pam_w and hd. One of these options would be good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, Tignes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I have a hire car from Budget (I don't know which side )

you'll need to find out before you get there.... wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I have a hire car from Budget (I don't know which side )

you'll need to find out before you get there.... wink

Was it ever resolved which side was cheaper or was there no difference?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, looks like I'll be booking something in Tignes later today.

@Feast, I haven't solved it, it didn't say on my booking (or confirmation) which side, but price included winter tyres etc. but not chains which were extra.

@pam w, Does it really matter, apart from perhaps having to buy the "vignette thingy" if I go on Swiss motorways (how much is that by the way)?

I'm showing my ignorance now....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sometimes the French side is cheaper, sometimes not, or not much. But then you have to factor in the Swiss motorway vignette and winter tyres. It rarely makes an enormous difference, in the end. The Swiss side is more of a faff to get to the cars but less of a faff to get to the motorway to France.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz and Flaine will also be open, and have some snow at present. Are VT and Tignes so much better they warrant the extra couple of hours drive? I will need to make a similar decision in a couple of weeks!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Avoriaz and Flaine will also be open, and have some snow at present

The Espace Killy will have far more runs open than Avoriaz or Flaine and are more like 1.5 hours extra drive. I'd not hesitate.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plus, Tignes will probably be high enough to escape the rain which is quite likely to fall at lower altitudes. Much of the Grand Massif is below 2000m.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Totally agree with Pam, you need altitude
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stodge, I was toying with the idea of Flaine (GM) after the earlier dump in late Nov, but as it has been mild (which looks set to continue) and it isn't open yet it is hard to get a unbiased assessment of snow conditions etc. I never know whether to fully believe the resort's own website Confused

At least Tignes has been open and has some first hand reports.
latest report
Cheers, excellent advice. I'm not going until 2nd Jan so everything could change before then. But what has been putting me off of Tignes and VT is the transfer - either hiring a car > £300 (for my son & I - therefore I am paying the lot!), or a bus (such as Bens Bus or AltiBus) that will leave you stranded if your flight is delayed. Flaine or Avoriaz just seem a lot easier to get to - but there needs to be a decent amount of snow!
ski holidays
things could (and hopefully will) look totally different by 2 Jan, @stodge. Flaine and Avoriaz are indeed easier to get to.
ski holidays
@stodge, Wow, my car hire was much less than that, circa £120. Why do I get the feeling I am going to be mugged by the person behind the desk in Geneva Airport?
snow report
I can't get a quote for 7 nights week beginning 2nd Jan for much less than £300. Which site did you use?
snow conditions
@stodge, I can't vouch for Altibus with delays but bens bus were great when u was delayed last year also simply transfers I was delayed when using them too and they both happily moved me to a later bus no charge.
snow conditions
Cheers @speachmaus, that's good to hear!
ski holidays
stodge wrote:
Cheers @speachmaus, that's good to hear!

+1
Transferring with Bens Bus at the end of Jan. Very Happy
latest report
If the buses aren't as bad as I feared then I'll look at these two resorts more closely. If choosing Tignes - are there any pro's/con's or Le Lac or Val Claret?
snow report
Val Claret has easier access home from the bellevarde area and from the glacier. If in Le Lac/Le Lavachet you can either get the free bus back from Val Claret or ski back which always seems to take ages for such a short distance (3 chairs and a couple of blues).
snow conditions
@stodge, I just used holiday autos, but it probably has more to do with the demand on the dates etc. I wouldn't expect them to be running at full volume by next Wednesday.
snow report
Yes I have tried holidat auto's @newby, my week seems expensive for some reason.

@FastCarver74, is Tignes Les Brevieres a decent option? There's a nice catered chalet available there from 2nd Jan I am tempted by.
snow conditions
Quote:

Does it really matter, apart from perhaps having to buy the "vignette thingy" if I go on Swiss motorways (how much is that by the way)?

YES, it really does matter, or you won't know where to go - the Swiss and French sides of the airport are quite distinct and you don't want to be chasing round the airport with your stuff. If it includes winter tyres it might be Swiss (French ones usually don't) but you should get the chains too. Are you sure the booking doesn't say? That seems bizarre.

You can buy a Swiss vignette at the border post as you come out of the airport if it's French side - I think it's 50 swiss francs. Used to be 40 euros but gone up now because of exchange rate. You then go on the Swiss motorway to the border at Bardonnex.

You can also go through Geneva and stay off the motorway, and not pay, but I'd not recommend that. Can get very busy and it's not hard to get lost.
latest report
@stodge, Altibus allow you to use your ticket on later buses on the same day subject to availability - the last one is at 1915. I'm sure ben and his bus will be as flexible - but as he is only weekends I haven't used him for a while.

Little difference between Lac and VC skiing wise. The apres is overall a little more aimed at the younger folk in VC so depending on where your apt is it can be a bit noisier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@newby - I just booked yesterday with SkiVal and booked in a the Alpaka Lodge - I thought it was 49 GBP per person per night half board + afternoon tea, and that is situated in Le Lac area.

Booked there based on the good advice I got from @chocksaway and @SteveWoodward.

Booking is through SkiVal.co.uk.
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam, Thanks, I have mailed them about my odd dates. I may well owe you a beer or two. Thank you.
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam I looked at that the Alpaka Lodge but can't find a way to book it without flights.
latest report
Don't know if you are sorted yet newby but have sent you a PM (ie personal message) re possible Tignes accommodation.

See top right of page (Send/read messages) for details.
snow conditions
@stodge, I just e-mailed them.

I booked without flights. I live in Amsterdam (but I'm American, therefore I hang out on an English skiing site - makes sense, right?) Anyway, we are driving, and by e-mailing them them it was no problem to book without flights.

Also on their booking system, they give you the option to choose independent travel, even though the booking form has fixed dates, they will give you special dates, as they did me. I know for a fact, they still have availability next week, so filling the rooms for even partial weeks is something they should be happy with.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy