Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cruisey Resort near Zurich

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

It looks like I might now be able to take a couple of days off over NY and can get reasonable flights into Zurich. It will just be myself and the better half and was looking for resort recommendations. Resort wise - the prefect resort for us on this kind of trip would be Oberlech, but it is full and very expensive. Zinal would be another option. So looking for nice cruisey runs as BH is an intermediate still improving. Preferably a nice town. Ski in/ski out is added bonus. I have skied Engelberg and Andermatt,but we were off piste for all those trips, so not to sure what the piste skiing is like. I would be worried about Engelberg being rammed (have experienced those crushing queues, never fun.)

Any recommendations would be greatly welcomed - Basically, nice resort (preferably smaller rather than bigger) nice cruisey runs (red/blacks no real issue, but just enjoyable for better half) and close enough to Zurich (2.5 hours drive or so is grand.)

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dublinfella, Zinal really isn't cruisey. It's a steep resort, and also has a lot of drag lifts and fixed speed chairs. There is limited suitable terrain at Engelberg. Or rather, two very limited areas, on opposite sides of resort.

I have spent some time researching such resorts in the area as we have some beginner/intermediate friends visiting over the Christmas and New Year period, and want to take them somewhere suitable. We are going to Meiringen-Hasliberg and Melchsee-Frutt, which look like they fit the bill. I haven't visited them yet though, so I can't be sure!

Alternatively how about the Jungfrau - my experience is very limited but it looked suitable on my brief trip there and I'm sure there are more knowledgeable folk on the Jungfrau thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lenzerheide / Arosa is a good match
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blueskix, good call.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laax
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arosa is one of my favourites, even more so with the link to Lenzerheide. But I wouldn't drive - the drive up from Chur is steep, narrow and winds like a serpent and often not ploughed to any great degree. Leave the wagon in Chur and take the spectacular railway trip into Arosa. To be fair, I'm not sure what driving into Lenzerheide is like; could well be better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Driving to Lenzerheide is very easy 15 mins off the Motorway
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blueskix wrote:
Driving to Lenzerheide is very easy 15 mins off the Motorway

That's it then - drive to Lenzerheide or train to Arosa! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also Flims-Laax-Falera should not be omitted, loads of cruisey runs there, and reasonably adjacent to Zurich. Great lift infrastructure in general.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
coddlesangers wrote:
Also Flims-Laax-Falera should not be omitted, loads of cruisey runs there, and reasonably adjacent to Zurich. Great lift infrastructure in general.

I was also going to suggest Flims Laax. Lovely area with a great lift infrastructure.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

We are going to Meiringen-Hasliberg and Melchsee-Frutt, which look like they fit the bill. I haven't visited them yet though, so I can't be sure!

Melchee-Frutt is a lovely little car-free, ski to the door resort, but the skiing is a little limited. It's very popular for langlauf. Was there today (just walking) - The snow conditions were very very good, the real thing not artificial snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gämsbock, We were at Meiringen about 10 years ago for what was our 2nd or 3rd year skiing as a family. We really enjoyed it both on and off the slopes. Given your location, you may already know about the new year tradition "Trychlen". If you are staying centrally and want any sleep, definitely take your earplugs!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yep Flims-Laax fits the bill
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ADH, thanks - we actually spent the day there yesterday too on an avi course. We were touring so headed in the opposite direction from the pistes so I still have no sense of what they are like. But what we saw of the area was great and I really liked it. Conditions were much better than expected - I really wasn't expecting to ski powder! It has the added bonus of only being 1h15mins drive from home so I suspect we will be regular visitors over the winter.

@Annie, great! We are taking two friends who are about 3rd week skiers so I'm happy for more info that it sounds like a resort they will enjoy. We are new to Switzerland so I didn't know about the 'Trychlen' so that's good to know!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dublinfella, A word of caution - apparently many of local CH resorts near Zurich get rammed after Xmas/ NY, we have friends who go to their place and say that the resorts are so busy you cant even park, and large queues. Flims/ Laax is great but get there and up early.
snow report
@Gämsbock, worth looking it up. IIRC it ran from boxing day for a couple of days. The whole village out (it seemed) circuiting the streets dressed in masks and ringing cowbells throughout the nights. An experience!
snow report
I really like Flims-Laax but it is an expensive place to stay and can get really busy at holiday times. So I'm not sure it is ideal for the OP at NY.
ski holidays
@Annie, thanks, I will!
ski holidays
Klosters / Davos is very cruisey and not far from Zurich
snow report
@Markymark29,
Quote:

apparently many of local CH resorts near Zurich get rammed after Xmas/ NY

Your point is very valid. I rarely ski any of the well known Swiss resorts over Christmas and NY, only exception being Zermatt, but obviously a longer drive from Zurich for @Dublinfella. If the resorts are unable to open more pistes before the holiday period, the pistes operating will be rammed full.

You could try Pizol (1hour 20 from Zurich) however check that there's sufficient snow. Another alternative could be the picture postcard perfect resort of Mürren, which should be protected from the crowds of nearby Wengen. Less skiing in Mürren, but you could always join the holiday crowds of Wengen for a day if you wished. (Its very easy to get to from Mürren.)

I'm skiing Davos / Klosters tomorrow as it will be quiet before the holiday rush. Don't even think about going there for Christmas/NY at the moment with the current limited number of runs open.
snow conditions
Davos / Klosters.
Wengen.
Laax.
snow conditions
Check out Stoos, not far from Zurich,
Its not very big but plenty for a weekend.

Its on a car free plateau, you can only get to it by lift.
There is a very nice hotel up there.
snow conditions
Hello all,

Thanks so much for the info. All are looking like great options. Yeah, I was guessing around NY is probably not ideal in terms of crowds etc. The hope was to find somewhere, perhaps off the beaten track/with a lift system that can handle it. Really like the look of Lenzerheide and Melchsee-Frutt.

Will check out accommodation and have to see if there is space for our dog to board somewhere whilst we are away!

Thanks for all the suggestions
snow conditions
Just had a look at Laax on Google and found there is pretty comprehensive Google Piste View!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.8686009,9.2200136,3a,75y,192.22h,79.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s20QWlDSKtDLwfPU32A_Qvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Check out the pistes before you book!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy