Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grimentz

Poster: A snowHead
Spending a week in Grimentz (with family, kids are 11,9,7,5) for the first time thus year, after a few days in Saas Fee as usual. Any advice on restaurants, runs, off-piste routes, ski hire for kids, or anything else anyone thinks would be helpful?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, i only spent one day there last year but the terrain is awsome. If enough snow, off piste route down to the dam ( think it was used in a james bond film) not too difficult but views.....wow
Other than that, just look around when you get there. plenty of options visible from the lifts but if you want to go off the back side prob best with a guide
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The nicest restaurant is the Etable du Marais not far from Bendolla.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree with @freerinef, about the terrain, it really is that good. We stayed in zinal about 3 yrs ago with two children then aged 7 & 4 so one skiing and one not / very basic intro. Both grimentz and zinal lift you to above 2100mtrs mid station with very good mixed areas from there to spend the day. From mid station bendolla of grimentz there is up to the left side the lona area which is mainly blacks served by drag lifts with long drops right back to the village making some really long serious runs. In the centre are mainly reds and blues which from 2900mtrs give you some of the best improver slopes I think you'll find anywhere with lovely wide rolling long pistes to get confidence and technique going together, along with a cafe slopeside about halfway down so works as a good base if you have a varied group doing loops round. From that cafe point there's a drag going out to the right that serves red/blue runs and a snowpark along with an itineraire route through a separate valley area that crosses back toward the midstation with no piste at all. From the midstation down there are blue,red and black pistes back to village or gondola lift( my son then aged nearly 8 skied the black down to base, it has some serious gradient that would scare someone nervous about that aspect but it is wide and conditions were good so taking his time he really enjoyed it) . There are a group of ski shops around the lift base station that all seemed to be able to offer the hire you want but I've not used them as we take our own kit.
Zinal (it had no connecting lift to grimentz when we were there) has a really good intermediate area at midstation with predominantly red runs on a large open plateau with maybe less protection if the wind is higher but absolutely worth going over there. Up to the top left of zinal is a draglift served freeride area of a considerable size which is avi checked but left alone otherwise. There's only one piste route down to zinal village with a red and black both on the same pitch of mountain, the red having more traverse to get the gradient down but the black is serious "drop off the side of a building steep" with catch fences across the piste to stop those falling and protect the innocent, but a fabulous challenge nevertheless. I've indicated the severity because as you leave the midstation you only get one chance to turn left and stay on that plateau via the lowest serving chair before entering that steep pitch area so worth taking a run down yourself to assess if any of your family are ok to commit. It runs right down to within about 30mtrs of the cablecar back up so it's really fun to do in a loop back to midstation with such a quick lift. My son loved this one and we were staying just near the cablecar so it was our home run.
Finally the run back from zinal to grimentz (piste du chamois) labeled as a black and leaves from near the top of the plateau with not such a steep pitch, starts with a ploughed track into it but opens out to a wide soft valley that had just monumental powder when we were there leading into a forested track to get the traverse back across the head of the valley to get you into grimentz village, again It's one you'd want to assess prior to committing someone less experienced to as it's technique that is in highest demand here. Not one you'd want to be down at the end of the day with tired legs but a fabulous ski nonetheless.
Both the areas have just superb views and give such a feeling of being in high alpine terrain, they weren't very busy when we visited in march but they do feel really special. I think you've made a good choice to go there and hope you enjoy your visit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with @freerinef, about the terrain, it really is that good. We stayed in zinal about 3 yrs ago with two children then aged 7 & 4 so one skiing and one not / very basic intro. Both grimentz and zinal lift you to above 2100mtrs mid station with very good mixed areas from there to spend the day. From mid station bendolla of grimentz there is up to the left side the lona area which is mainly blacks served by drag lifts with long drops right back to the village making some really long serious runs. In the centre are mainly reds and blues which from 2900mtrs give you some of the best improver slopes I think you'll find anywhere with lovely wide rolling long pistes to get confidence and technique going together, along with a cafe slopeside about halfway down so works as a good base if you have a varied group doing loops round. From that cafe point there's a drag going out to the right that serves red/blue runs and a snowpark along with an itineraire route through a separate valley area that crosses back toward the midstation with no piste at all. From the midstation down there are blue,red and black pistes back to village or gondola lift( my son then aged nearly 8 skied the black down to base, it has some serious gradient that would scare someone nervous about that aspect but it is wide and conditions were good so taking his time he really enjoyed it) . There are a group of ski shops around the lift base station that all seemed to be able to offer the hire you want but I've not used them as we take our own kit.
Zinal (it had no connecting lift to grimentz when we were there) has a really good intermediate area at midstation with predominantly red runs on a large open plateau with maybe less protection if the wind is higher but absolutely worth going over there. Up to the top left of zinal is a draglift served freeride area of a considerable size which is avi checked but left alone otherwise. There's only one piste route down to zinal village with a red and black both on the same pitch of mountain, the red having more traverse to get the gradient down but the black is serious "drop off the side of a building steep" with catch fences across the piste to stop those falling and protect the innocent, but a fabulous challenge nevertheless. I've indicated the severity because as you leave the midstation you only get one chance to turn left and stay on that plateau via the lowest serving chair before entering that steep pitch area so worth taking a run down yourself to assess if any of your family are ok to commit. It runs right down to within about 30mtrs of the cablecar back up so it's really fun to do in a loop back to midstation with such a quick lift. My son loved this one and we were staying just near the cablecar so it was our home run.
Finally the run back from zinal to grimentz (piste du chamois) labeled as a black and leaves from near the top of the plateau with not such a steep pitch, starts with a ploughed track into it but opens out to a wide soft valley that had just monumental powder when we were there leading into a forested track to get the traverse back across the head of the valley to get you into grimentz village, again It's one you'd want to assess prior to committing someone less experienced to as it's technique that is in highest demand here. Not one you'd want to be down at the end of the day with tired legs but a fabulous ski nonetheless.
Both the areas have just superb views and give such a feeling of being in high alpine terrain, they weren't very busy when we visited in march but they do feel really special. I think you've made a good choice to go there and hope you enjoy your visit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome ski area, had 2 epic powder weeks in Jan & March, also not too busy......
Totally agree with Snowbunny re Etable du Marais, really nice!
The dam run is very scenic, other than that there is a lot of side-piste to ski, or better still would be a guide to take you further afield.
Oh, and enjoy the twisty drive up Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here are a couple of photos of the run down to the Moiry Dam:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138505682@N07/23432762700/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138505682@N07/23619973692/in/dateposted-public/
There are plenty of other options in the valley, this is Orzival:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138505682@N07/23360430959/in/dateposted-public/
I was there last weekend, but those photos were last season! So far the main blues and a few reds are open but the great reds and blacks mentioned above probably need more snow. I'd suggest you get a guide to get the most from the off-piste on offer. Mountain Tracks run by Nick Parkes and Co are excellent and they have a private guiding outfit too. One route I am keen to do is the Vallon de Rechy. I've walked it in the summer but never managed it on skis.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haha forgot about "the road of death" as we affectionatly called it 😱
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much everyone, very helpful. The question about hire shops is really only for the youngest 2 as the rest of us all have our own gear - anyone hired children's skis in Grimentz?

Also - any recommendation on restaurants on the village itself?

We will be skiing with 2 full time guides - as I like the tougher off-piste, and the rest of the family enjoy slightly easier terrain. We will send the youngest to ski school in the mornings (ESI) though - does anyone have experience of them?

I am really looking forward to the trip - posters here have confirmed everything I have heard! Let me know if you have any other hints and tips.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@zikomo, There are three hire shops in Grimentz. Do Sports and Val Sports are the two that I have used, mostly for ski/boot repairs. Friends and family have used both for hire and they are equally excellent. Both have a good children's range.
Personally I am slightly disappointed with the restaurants in Grimentz. The best food in the valley is at The Bella Tola in St Luc, unless you include the 2* 19/20 L'Atelier Gourmand, at The Hotel Terminus in Sierre.
I would definitely recommend a skiing day in St Luc, across the valley from Grimentz. There is a fab little restaurant at the bottom of a red run over there called Gite du Prilett but unfortunately there is no lift down there so you need to take a navette or walk back to the funicular station.
One final piste/itinerary to mention is the one down to St Jean, a lovely way to end the day, you can literally ski into the bar. Again needs a bus ride back to Grimentz.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, the St Jean run off the back of Grimentz is another fine run, ski to the bar and keep an eye out of the window for the bus Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have just been reminded of a video I made a few years ago of the drive from Sierre Station to Grimentz.
Drive to Grimentz from Russell perkins
https://vimeo.com/149295954?utm_source=email&utm_medium=vimeo-cliptranscode-201504&utm_campaign=29220
It's great road, driven it in all kinds of conditions and in vans, cars and even ridden it on a road bike. I stopped on the bike to take a look down the cliff and it's a long, long way down, you wouldn't want to come off the road there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vallon de Rechy is a fantastic tour, especially if there is snow all the way down to the valley floor. One of the most scenic tours I have done. And going back from Vercorin is good fun although it is steep during some of the wood parts. Excellent offpiste day, and worth a beer celebration coming back to St Jean while waiting for the bus to take you back to Grimentz.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Btw, had to have 3 glasses of wine before getting on the bus in Sierre. The road is not for the fainthearted....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Woosh wrote:
Btw, had to have 3 glasses of wine before getting on the bus in Sierre. The road is not for the fainthearted....

I know lol I went for a day trip from Saas Fee last year, in a friends tiny and old camper van - very I tersting journey! We were only there for the day so just covered pretty much all the pistes as I wanted to check it out for potential family holiday this season.

Thanks for advice!
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Yes, the St Jean run off the back of Grimentz is another fine run, ski to the bar and keep an eye out of the window for the bus Very Happy

Thanks!
ski holidays
Rareperk wrote:
@zikomo, There are three hire shops in Grimentz. Do Sports and Val Sports are the two that I have used, mostly for ski/boot repairs. Friends and family have used both for hire and they are equally excellent. Both have a good children's range.
Personally I am slightly disappointed with the restaurants in Grimentz. The best food in the valley is at The Bella Tola in St Luc, unless you include the 2* 19/20 L'Atelier Gourmand, at The Hotel Terminus in Sierre.
I would definitely recommend a skiing day in St Luc, across the valley from Grimentz. There is a fab little restaurant at the bottom of a red run over there called Gite du Prilett but unfortunately there is no lift down there so you need to take a navette or walk back to the funicular station.
One final piste/itinerary to mention is the one down to St Jean, a lovely way to end the day, you can literally ski into the bar. Again needs a bus ride back to Grimentz.

Thanks!
latest report
@zikomo, am late to see this thread.

Restaurant wise in the village we like:
pizzas at L'Arlequin
hotels Cristal and Alpina
barbecue grill table (need to pre book the table specifically and only suitable if you eat meat) at Le Meleze. Kids particularly like this.

I have a place there and ski off piste extensively there and around so do ask if you need to know more. As you know, offpiste is looking very poor currently (a contrast to 28 November when I was skiing powder). Saas fee is likely to hold up a little better unless the snow does come as hoped for in January.
latest report
Hola,

Quick question - anyone know how conditions are around zinal at the moment? Thinking of heading over for a sneaky ski Monday and Tuesday, will have the mrs with me, so need a heads up as to what the pistes are like, as she'll kill me if it's rubbish.
snow conditions
@coddlesangers, Sorry not been out since early December so can't comment on conditions ATM. Eldest daughter is arriving late on tuesday but I guess that's too late for you. My hunch would be that the high pistes in Zinal will be fine but any off-piste almost certainly a no go and lower pistes are closed. I'm not there until mid january so hopefully there'll been a big dump before then.
snow conditions
Cool. What I took from that is that the upper pistes are fine, that's good enough for me Happy. I'll be in a position to report on Tuesday so! Hotel booked..
ski holidays
Ok. Zinal is in reasonable nick, all the pistes have decent cover that is tending to hardpack/ice after midday. I had a lovely ski, spent most of the day seeing how well I could or couldn't edge on hardpack, the mrs didn't have a great day, throwing a coniption fit at me when the first piste I took her down was a bit icy.. oh well. Lovely sunny day, not a whole heap of peeps, plenty of opportunities to turn on the afterburners...bliss Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy