Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If snow doesn't arrive, what to do in small ski resort.

Poster: A snowHead
Ok folks, I am a glass half empty sort of girl. We have 5 nights booked in Lofer, Austria over New Year. I am still hoping and praying that the snow will come and we will get some snow, no looking to off piste or any fresh powder, just some easy blues will do us.

Thinking of cancelling our accomodation and maybe staying nearer Zell am see where we could ski Kitzenhorn.

But if worst happens and it is all green pastures for New Year, what do folks do in small ski village, other than eat and drink. Have visited Salzburg a few times, will probably spend a day in Munich this time, any other suggestions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lofer isn't a million miles from Zell anyway, so why move?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@2waterford, for piste skiing I wouldn't worry too much. But you have plenty of other options nearby - SkiWelt etc, so just go ski those.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, plan had been to ski most in Ellmau and Waidring
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All I can think of is what people do in the Alps in the summer... hiking and so on. As I'm assuming there are no other leisure facilities.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a big spa in Bad Reichenhall? And if it's sunny weather what could be nicer than walking in beautiful surroundings? (Well, yes, skiing would be nicer......).

Personally I would choose reading and walking every day over patronizing the "wellness facilities". wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2waterford wrote:

Thinking of cancelling our accomodation and maybe staying nearer Zell am see where we could ski Kitzenhorn.

That sounds like a good idea
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If snow is really bad (which is by no means certain at this stage, of course, it could be absolutely fine) the really high areas might be too busy to be very enjoyable at New Year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:

Personally I would choose reading and walking every day over patronizing the "wellness facilities". wink

I couldn't agree more. If I couldnt ski, I would be out walking and enjoying the views and fresh air. Or I would take a gondola up and sit outside a mountain restaurant and still enjoy the views and fresh air.

However, I still can't believe that conditions are going to be that bad over new year. Thats still three weeks away!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1. Hire a car and drive to an open (but almost certainly horribly crowded) resort.
2. Hire a road bike and enjoy the magnificent cycling in the area.
3. Hire a mountain bike and enjoy some of the magnificent off road trails in the area.
4. Don your walking boots and enjoy some of the magnificent hiking in the area.
5. Catch the train to Salzburg, soak up the culture and do some shopping.
6. Visit an old salt mine and soak up some history.
7. Visit some of the magnificent historic sights/castles/villages in the area.
8. Eat.
9. Drink.

I've spent many happy summer holidays down the valley in Zell. Given a bike, car and walking boots, I couldn't be bored however hard if I tried.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd want to add some good books to that list. Sorted. Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, couldn't agree more.

More controversially, I'd probably also use the peace and quiet to make my way through some suitable online study with Coursera or equivalent.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@2waterford, You're staying in Lofer but planning to ski in Ellmau Puzzled so I assume you have a car, in which case you can drive 20 mins to Saalfelden, then choose whether you turn left for Maria Alm, right for Leogang and the Ski Circus, or go straight on for either Saalbach or Zell am See. All are within 20 mins of Saalfelden. If there is no snow anywhere, then go to Salzburg - Kitzsteinhorn will be rammed.

Even with the high temperatures, there is currently good skiing above mid-station in Saalbach - see the Saalbach-hinterglemm thread for recent photos - and it is snowing right now down to about 1300m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
quinton wrote:
@2waterford, You're staying in Lofer but planning to ski in Ellmau Puzzled so I assume you have a car, in which case you can drive 20 mins to Saalfelden, then choose whether you turn left for Maria Alm, right for Leogang and the Ski Circus, or go straight on for either Saalbach or Zell am See. All are within 20 mins of Saalfelden. If there is no snow anywhere, then go to Salzburg - Kitzsteinhorn will be rammed.

Even with the high temperatures, there is currently good skiing above mid-station in Saalbach - see the Saalbach-hinterglemm thread for recent photos - and it is snowing right now down to about 1300m.

tHank you, yes we have a car, off to look at Saalbach pictures
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones wrote:
1. Hire a car and drive to an open (but almost certainly horribly crowded) resort.
2. Hire a road bike and enjoy the magnificent cycling in the area.
3. Hire a mountain bike and enjoy some of the magnificent off road trails in the area.
4. Don your walking boots and enjoy some of the magnificent hiking in the area.
5. Catch the train to Salzburg, soak up the culture and do some shopping.
6. Visit an old salt mine and soak up some history.
7. Visit some of the magnificent historic sights/castles/villages in the area.
8. Eat.
9. Drink.

I've spent many happy summer holidays down the valley in Zell. Given a bike, car and walking boots, I couldn't be bored however hard if I tried.

And as it's New Year...

10. Buy fireworks to lob at the locals. They love a bit of anti firework code action.
snow report
Quote:

eat and drink.

Quote:

sit outside a mountain restaurant

Quote:

8. Eat.
9. Drink.

Erm......not really sure what I'd do Toofy Grin
ski holidays
According to the Loferer Alm web site the area is opening next weekend and then daily from 17th December. Mind you, the webcams there don't show great cover presently. By New Year things could be fine (the snow came on Boxing Day last year). So I wouldn't worry too much presently and, as others have said, there are other options not far away. E.g. I had a great day's skiing last week in Saalbach/Hinterglemm (and Fieberbrunn) and the weekend before that skiing over to Saalbach from Leogang was also good. It was largely artificial snow and just on the pistes but not bad at that (hopefully sufficient for the Christmas crowds).
snow report
Get steaming drunk on Jagermeister and make a nuisance of yourself to the locals.

Brit tradition, innit.
snow conditions
That last suggestion would, unlike some of the earlier ones, be suitable even if it's p!ssing down with rain.....
ski holidays
2waterford, here are some photos to let you see what the conditions are presently on the Loferer Alm. I skied there yesterday and had an enjoyable day, despite the restricted possibilities, no stress, no crowds (though that may be different at New Year). There is no snow in the valley; this is a view from the Almbahn I gondola just after leaving the bottom station...

So no valley run, not even to the middle station. I had hoped that might be possible. Arriving at the top station of the gondola, things looked better...

Only two chairlifts, the Family Express and the Schwarzeck, and a Magic Carpet in the beginners' area were running yesterday. And, accordingly, only those two pistes were open. The piste by the Schönbühel chairlift also looked skiable but a bit scrappy near the bottom. I asked a lift operator whether they would be running that lift when the daily opening starts in a few days and he said, they hope to but it would depend on the weather allowing more snow making.

The next photo, taken from the piste by the Family Express chair, probably gives the best impression of the current situation, showing the Schwarzeck piste winding its way down the hill, a strip of artificial snow, as in many other resorts just now...

And here is a general view looking in the opposite direction from the top of the Schwarzeck chairlift...

The Steinplatte at Waidring is visible in the photo, on the right in the backround. The lifts were running there but, as far as I could judge from the distance, the snow cover looked similar to that at the Loferer Alm.

The pistes were good to ski, basically hard-packed but with the Schwarzeck softening in the sun as the day went on. I too still hope for (and expect) more snow before New Year, though the immediate forecast doesn't promise much. I had lunch at the Schönblick hut, which was flying its Union Jack upside down. I hadn't found the snow conditions so distressing Laughing

Hope you have a good holiday!
ski holidays
Thank you Espri. Looking forward to arriving.
latest report
@2waterford, we are staying near Saalbach at the moment. It's been below freezing here over the last few days so most resorts are using their snowmaking facilities. We have skiied Saalbach, Muhlbach (part of Hochkoenig) and Kitzsteinhorn and all were nearly fully open. Most other resorts nearby appear to have at least some slopes open.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's been below freezing here over the last few days so most resorts are using their snowmaking facilities.

I think that's fairly common at the moment with big inversions. The message for this coming Christmas might be "go low". I posted a picture on the weather thread of resort in the southern French alps where they are making snow in the valley and taking it up the mountain in trucks!
snow conditions
Drive to a big resort with snow.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/FMqADdsVmwQ
snow conditions
@DB, Laughing Laughing Laughing Skiing like it really is.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/FMqADdsVmwQ

That video if flipping amazing Happy

Hope his skis don't come up on eBay liked with 'light damage to bases' Happy
latest report
Go ice climbing! http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/guided-ice-climbing-packages/ We've not had any snow either, but the ice has been forming nicely! We do fully guided packages if you've never done anything like it before... Evil or Very Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy