Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 week ski trip (flying), hand luggage only.

Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking about it the other day when I saw a return flight to Innsbruck rocket from £70 to £122 with checked in luggage, and wondered how easy it would be to travel with hand luggage only.

Obviously you could wear your ski jacket and trousers for the flight, with goggles/gloves/hat etc stuffed into your pockets.

You could also invest in wearable luggage jacket Laughing :

and finally.....you could use an air suction bag/pump for your clothes :

Anyone ever done it/do it regularly?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you hire boots and skis and wear your jacket, absolutely no problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure anyone will be talking to you at the end of a week Skullie
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did a long weekend on hand luggage only, took my own boots in my hand luggage (which were themselves filled with t shirts, pants, socks etc) but rented helmet and snowboard out there. Wore my jacket and managed to fit salopettes in hand luggage (just!)

If you rented all your equipment you could easily do it!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Im planning to do it alot starting next month with flights from barcelona to torino/gva, with ski boots inside hand luggage, wearing ALOT of stuff (like two jackets) and renting just the skis. Sounds awfull but next year is going to be really tough for me, no income at all.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If i havent bought new gear and need the ski bag, I always go hand luggage. Granted we do have our own accommodation so ski and boot storage, but that's no different to hiring (inc helmet). We use the vacuum bags (you do need a vacuum at the other end, so check that), Wear jacket and your warm boots, buy toiletries out there. If you've got decent base layers and enough socks, you can handwash and dry and take less.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeycharlton wrote:
and finally.....you could use an air suction bag/pump for your clothes :

That's actually not too bad an idea if you can get it to the right shape. You'd need to borrow a hoover at the other end for a return though (assuming you're not going s/c).

I've done weekends away on hand luggage only (3 nights) but don't think I could manage it for ski trip. Couldn't bring myself to be the plum that wanders around Gatwick wearing salopettes and with a helmet on my head!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hand baggage allowances are quite generous. Pair of salopettes, gloves, neck buff, 2 pairs socks, 2 underwear, 2 base layers, one T shirt, one top (you will be wearing jeans or trousers and one set of tops - 2 is adequate for evening wear for a week. Ski accommodation is always boiling hot - very easy to wash stuff in the shower and hang it up. Small tube of hand washing stuff, maybe. Wear your walking/outdoor boots. I'd always have a light pair of slippers too - take up no room. small toothpaste, moisturiser, sun cream (easily within carry on regs).

I wouldn't wear a helmet in the airport. But stuffed full of socks etc, doesn't take up a lot of room. Goggles in a protective case. Spare T shirt to sleep in.

A Kindle and a mobile phone and travel charger. A few paracetamol and ibuprofen.

I've travelled for 6 weeks with hand baggage (which included a squishable down pillow). That was in a hot climate, but the thing's easily doable. We mostly take far too much.

I've worn one set of merino bases for a week (it was sailing, not skiing, so far harder to wash stuff) and it smelt OK, as did the merino socks I wore inside breathable sea boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used those vacuum bags for a trip. You really do need ironing facilities for your clothes when you arrive, they end up in a right mess.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
diver wrote:
Im planning to do it alot starting next month with flights from barcelona to torino/gva, with ski boots inside hand luggage, wearing ALOT of stuff (like two jackets) and renting just the skis. Sounds awfull but next year is going to be really tough for me, no income at all.

If you are planning on doing it a lot and flying from Barcelona why not go to Andorra. Get a season pass and use the bus/coach that runs there ( other Snowheads can provide more info on that ). Don't think the luggage allowance will be as severe as it would be flying.

Last point just remember to calculate the hire costs, the more you hire the more expensive so you really do need to try and limit it to skis, or skis and boots if possible.
Some ski jackets have more pockets than Fagin would know what to do with ( my Schoffel is like a tardis for swallowing up items ).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All of the above plus take an extra 10 euros and buy some hand washing powder! Travel regularly with hand baggage only just plan it and pack it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Claude B wrote:
I've used those vacuum bags for a trip. You really do need ironing facilities for your clothes when you arrive, they end up in a right mess.

Yea I can imagine it being a bit of an issue for evening wear.

Thermals, socks, underwear, t-shirts and anything else that I wear under my ski jacket, not so much.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mikeycharlton, my lazy mates do this all the time - just to save time at the airports

Hire/wear everything possible and buy the rest in resort.

I have to have my own boots so I need a case
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Who could be bothered to save £52. It's a holiday, for heaven's sake! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try flying with a different airline which has a decent hand baggage limit....or one that includes one article of hold baggage.

Sleazy jet and Ryanair are not good options when travelling with bags, and you will be pestered for the entire journey to buy something, like food, drink, lottery ticket etc etc.
latest report
LOTA wrote:
Who could be bothered to save £52. It's a holiday, for heaven's sake! Very Happy

I quite like the idea of saving £52 on relatively little bother.
ski holidays
mayr wrote:
you will be pestered for the entire journey to buy something, like food, drink, lottery ticket etc etc.

Headphones in, music up and head in a book Very Happy
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, Having read your post (and others elsewhere on SH), I think that you and I have very different philosophies when it comes to a ski trip. Nothing wrong with that, of course! Very Happy
latest report
@mayr, I don't mind being asked politely if I want to buy a drink or a sandwich. A polite "no thanks" does the trick. I've never felt pestered.
snow conditions
Travelling light isn't only a matter of money. It's also good to be able to move everything around yourself, with ease. To have the necessities and not great piles of superfluous clart, to be able to pack in a couple of minutes. To walk from a bus stop to your accommodation if necessary. Sometimes, simple is good. I spent a couple of weeks in Norway in the summer, including 8 days sailing, and quite a lot of travelling around. I didn't have hand baggage only, but I had a small rucksack which weighed less than 15 kg which I could (and did) easily carry for some miles. I had everything I needed.
ski holidays
speed098 wrote:
diver wrote:

If you are planning on doing it a lot and flying from Barcelona why not go to Andorra. Get a season pass and use the bus/coach that runs there ( other Snowheads can provide more info on that ). Don't think the luggage allowance will be as severe as it would be flying.

Last point just remember to calculate the hire costs, the more you hire the more expensive so you really do need to try and limit it to skis, or skis and boots if possible.
Some ski jackets have more pockets than Fagin would know what to do with ( my Schoffel is like a tardis for swallowing up items ).

+1 on this idea. You can get a return bus to Encamp which is linked by bubble to Grandvalira for about 70 Euros and take your own skis and boots plus a bag with your clothes etc.
ski holidays
speed098 wrote:
diver wrote:

Yes I will go to Andorra as well, thats for sure. But I currently have some friends living around Geneva and the budget flights for less than 40eur both ways make the plan really attractive. Hope the Pyrenees are also good and im able to find some nice ski buddies to go there often.
snow report
You could always wear your ski boots on the plane to gain extra hand luggage space. There's nothing to stop you changing into them going through security and again before you board so your hand luggage meets the size restrictions.

A cousin of mine did this when his luggage was overweight on a return trip. Little Angel
latest report
I go hand baggage only a lot (10 days business travel to & around the US is my record, including a ski weekend in the middle albeit using rental boots). The key thing that helps me is ensuring my bag is very thin/light and flexible, no daft rollaboard, rucsac with bulky back system etc. That way I can make it fit the bag sizer, but put my jacket, jumper etc. in afterwards, and equally can shed bits out of it to stuff under my seat if there is no overhead space.

For me its not about the cost saving, but the convenience gain. Why pay an unnecessary £52 to have your entire trip slowed down and at risk of lost baggage? I introduced my then-7 yr old to hand baggage only last year for our half term trip, and when he realised it meant he could leave school at 4pm on a Friday and sit down to dinner in the Alps at 8pm (UK), he was a complete convert.
snow conditions
A friend only ever travels hand luggage only, a few years ago he did a European tour for ?6 weeks including rockclimbing, a formal wedding and a few other kit specific activities... There may have been some pre and post shipping involved...
ski holidays
I use the vacuum bags all the time and mine you don't need a Hoover you just roll them up to release the air works exactly the same
latest report
@speachmaus - Yup I use them as well most useful invention
snow conditions
Quote:
I use the vacuum bags all the time and mine you don't need a Hoover you just roll them up to release the air works exactly the same
We've done a fair few weeks with hand luggage + ski bag (with a few bits stuffed in it) loads of times. Despite being seasoned minimalist packers I think these vacuum bags sound like they could be worth a look - especially for bulky ski trousers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not possible with skis/boots, but easily doable without.
snow report
Travelling light is great if you are moving around but I cant say I find the luggage a hassle for going to the alps for a week and welcome fresh clothes without having to wash them on holiday.
latest report
I did a week a couple of years back on only hand luggage. As many have said it is totally doable if you are hiring skis / boots etc.

I managed to pack all the ski gear, two pairs of gloves, two hats, about 10 pairs of socks and boxers, two sets of thermals, a mid layer and 6 tshirts and a spare lightweight jacket for night in my bag, without using the vaccum packs. Tip is to roll all the clothes and pack in a strategic manner (if that is possible) Laughing

I did wear a set of thermals under my clothes and my jackets etc but if you think about only the essentials you will be fine.

I was fortunate to have a mate who had book a hold bag, so I managed to squeeze a wash bag in there, but if you can buy shower gel in resort you wont either have to bother with that.

Good luck. Enjoy snowHead Laughing
snow report
You would have to weigh up the cost of hire against the cost of extra bag and saving time in airport against the length of time in hire shop, with limited opening hours. I like to arrive with skis n boots ready to hit the slopes
snow conditions
speachmaus wrote:
You would have to weigh up the cost of hire against the cost of extra bag and saving time in airport against the length of time in hire shop, with limited opening hours. I like to arrive with skis n boots ready to hit the slopes

Time waiting for skis is minimal compared to the average time waiting for baggage at the airport...plus if you're flying to Chambery then you don't have to put up with the rugby scrum (which is a huge benefit)
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, not sure about Chambery. Got stuck there some years ago returning when the avalanche risk was high. We just got out of the resort before they shut roads and when we got to Chambery flights were delayed due to fog and incoming passengers couldn't leave as the roads were shut (well they could have left and stopped en route but someone chose not to). Rugby scrum was the right picture.
snow report
@Claude B,
Quote:

You really do need ironing facilities for your clothes when you arrive, they end up in a right mess.

Good job you've got your ironing board then Very Happy
snow report
speachmaus wrote:

Probably should have made it clear in my OP, but I don't own any skis or boots.
ski holidays
Quote:
Not possible with skis/boots, but easily doable without.
Oh yes it is. Done it before & will be doing it again in January, as follows:
- Board flight in ski jacket & bulky fleece.
- Put phone & camera in jacket pockets.
- Wear same jeans and footwear that you travel in for all nights in resort.
- Fill ski boots with ski polo, ski socks, hat, sunglasses, spare undies & normal socks.
- Pack rest of hand luggage with ski trousers, thermals, goggles, gloves, light down jacket, camera & phone chargers, selection of CDs for hire car, magazine, book, clear bag of small toiletries & airport sarnies/food for the journey.
(It does all sound like a lot but fits into an easyjet-compliant bag.)

- Pack ski bag with skis, towel, more spare undies, a spare T shirt, ski rucksack & small thermos.....

.....and Bob's yer uncle Very Happy
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
- Pack ski bag with skis, towel, more spare undies, a spare T shirt, ski rucksack & small thermos.....

How does this ski bag fit in the overhead locker? Wink
ski holidays
@mountainaddict,

Does your ski bag with skis in it fold up and go into your back pocket or something?
latest report
Laughing

I guess Uncle Bob must have paid for hold baggage and squeezes 2 pair(s) into his bag
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy