Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Restaurants Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Can i have some suggestions for a special lunch restaurant in Espace Killy . Budget is not an issue , this is a special celebration so we want fine dining and white table clothes and grumpy french waitresses . I vaguely remember there is a great restaurant at top of Grand Motte Funicular . Any suggestions gratefully received
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gwatts10, There is. Another favourite of wealthy fiends is the Fruitiere at the top of the Le Daille Bubble - its part of the Folie Douce complex - but if you have a normal timed lunch the squeals of those that need to be seen that start mid afternoon shouldn't spoil the ambience.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edelweiss at Le Fornet. You will have to book in advance. Perhaps even a long time in advance...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
another vote for Edelweiss.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le Signal at the top of the Fornet cable car or La Peau De Vache halfway up the Face.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187271-d3970912-Reviews-La_Peau_de_Vache-Val_d_Isere_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For your specific requirement, sounds like the Michelin starred Atelier D'Edmond in Fornet is the place. I won't spare the time, Edelweiss, Signal (upstairs) or Tufs would be my choices, in that order. Don't like Fruitiere - too busy, too cramped.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My personal fave is Triffolet in the woods towards La Daille. Fabulous views over the valley. Mind you we go there so it may not be expensive enough for you. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Another favourite of wealthy fiends

Devilled kidneys? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My personal fave is Triffolet in the woods towards La Daille. Fabulous views over the valley. Mind you we go there so it may not be expensive enough for you. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
L'Arolay, two minutes towards Val from Fornet. Get the beef.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dr John, +1 really nice ether, La Signal pretty good too
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
also, La Grande Ourse is a cracker, on the front de niege in Val d'Isere. Reassuringly expensive to keeps the riff raff (i.e. boarders) out.

*ducks*
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski the Mangard blue and then lunch at the Edelweiss - no contest (book in advance and confirm on the day).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to everyone for various suggestions , we are booked in Atelier for a Tuesday night , will aim for Edelweiss , and we also have La Fruitiere booked as we know Romain the manager pretty well as well as Kelly Starlight from La Folie . The one I was trying to remember was Le Panoramic at the top of the Grande Motte funicular , but I think we have enough to keep the waist line bulging and the wallets empty for now

Dr John .........we are boarders !!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For eating on the mountain I agree entirely with @franga, kditrj2d and others, Edelweiss is a significant cut above every other restaurant I've eaten at in Espace Killy. Which admittedly isn't all of them, but I am a huge foodie and would even rate it close to some of the 1 Michelin starred places I've been to, and probably the best I've ever been to in a ski resort. However while the food is spectacular and the wine list well chosen, it's not a fine dining restaurant - it's a rustic building with wooden tables and a log fire halfway up the mountain serving delicious, hearty local classics.

For a fine dining place, you'll probably have to look in the villages themselves. I didn't try any such places on the occasions I've been to EK, as I've been in a catered chalet, but I've heard good things about l'Atelier d'Edmond in Fornet. And not-so-good things about Table de l'Ours in Val proper: a (wealthy-and-foodie) friend of mine who ate there described it as "bog standard 1* food for 2-3* prices". I think he's become a little jaded having eaten at a lot of Michelin starred places that don't stand out from each other, and frankly being in a ski resort you expect to pay more than you'd pay for the same in a 'normal' town, but I tend to trust his judgement on restaurants as his recommendations have always been excellent for me.

As much as I love eating out, I tend to have specific holidays to foodie areas of the world to fulfil that desire, so while I like to eat well on skiing holidays I tend to go for rustic restaurants serving top notch hearty fodder rather than fine dining places. Personally I think the food at Edelweiss is good and special enough to work for most special occasions - few mountain restaurants serve foix gras or have a range of classed growth Bordeaux and premier cru Burgundy, so it does feel like somewhere out-of-the-ordinary, and the rustic-ness gives a great atmosphere when you're up in the mountains with snow all around - but I can understand the view that some special occasions need the formality of a fine dining restaurant. Not sure about fine dining at lunch in a ski resort though - being sweaty in ski gear after a morning of hard exercise would make me feel out of place in a formal restaurant!

Edit: just saw your reply after writing this. Sounds like the perfect choices!
ski holidays
Everyone seems to have put really god suggestions forward.... for something a little different and amazing humungous burgers (proper burgers) and a good view then the Peau de Vache half way down Le Face is one of my favourites too... Edelweiss and Grand Ourse are amazing too. It will be interesting what the eating at the new Yule 5* hotel right on the snow front is like. Also Atelier d'Edmond in Fornet is HIGH up the list of major treat places I want to take the wife to at some point - lunchtime menu is normally priced but they also do the full Michelin Menu and service in the evening too!

Im hungry now!
latest report
I like Edelweiss a lot but last time I tried to book, they only accepted bookings on the day.
Maybe things have changed and it was only for two.
The place at the top of the funicular is pretty special too with boot warmers while you eat.
The unlimited run at the puddings prevented my wife from schussing the descent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy