Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I be doing balance training?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Fairly new to skiing (started this year), I was wondering if I should be be doing some form of balance training and if so what's good to do?

Currently in the Gym 3 times a week and do a lot of Olympic style lifting (no not cross fit) so squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, snatching and clean 'n' jerk is all taken care of (bench press is for posers). I have fairly good leg strength for my size. Doing all these lifts with good form keeps a fairly strong core too.

I've been thinking of ways of improving my skiing when not skiing and was thinking that balance could maybe be improved.

Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One-legged squats! In fact, all sorts of one legged stuff is good. Even stand-up sit-down onto a box is a bit tricky using just one leg.

The Bosu ball is your friend. Try doing all your basic bodyweight or dumbbell exercises, but while standing on an upturned Bosu. If you can do it on two legs, try it with just one.

Your core and leg strength will be fine with all of that lifting. Don't underestimate the balance skills you're already using on the olympic lifts. Fore-aft balance is crucial and left-right isn't easy either.

Power is more important than brute strength for skiing, but again, you should have that covered by the olympic lifts.

I reckon you're probably in excellent shape for skiing. In fact, I personally find that my fitness outstrips my skiing ability. It is rare for me to feel like it's my fitness holding me back.

Quote:

(bench press is for posers)

Don't forget the bicep curls! wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't confine it to the gym. Whilst standing waiting for the kettle to boil, or on the phone, or waiting for a bus, stand on one leg. With your eyes closed if that's too easy. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
trampolining, skateboarding, wakeboarding, slacklining, mountain biking etc are what makes up the summertime of the best skiers and snowboarders that I know Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old people over 35 def benefit from balance exercising.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@eddiethebus, if only they were as easy to fit into an evening after a full day at work as a gym session is...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 to all the above. A lot of other sports will improve balance and agility. Some obviously more than others.

One thing that your olympic lifting won't be helping is flexibility, so I'd look for something that helps out with that too.

If you want something you can do in the gym Pilates is (or at least can be) great for balance and flexibility, as well as much improved body awareness and control, which translates very well into skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a lot of places do adult trampoline and gymnastics classes, much more fun than going to the gym and much better training for improving co-ordination.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Diving would be another good one.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kieranm wrote:

One thing that your olympic lifting won't be helping is flexibility, so I'd look for something that helps out with that too.

I dunno I'm fairly bendy and stretch out after every session.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I dunno I'm fairly bendy and stretch out after every session.

In which case I wouldn't worry too much about it, just something to be aware of.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Everyone can do this one, when brushing teeth, close eyes, balance on one leg in correct skiing posture. 2 mins of training morning and evening.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Little Martin,
My brother in law just recommended this to me at the weekend for knee and ankle strengthening. He recently hurt his ankle and has been told to do it by his physio. The eyes shut one is not as easy as it sounds.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Little Martin, I already use my 2 min toothbrushing time for 4 x 30 second calf stretches!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try it after a few drinks for that added challenge Wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
waiting for a bus, stand on one leg. With your eyes closed if that's too easy. wink

haha, can only imagine what the bus driver will think as the roles up Toofy Grin
ski holidays
pigeondave wrote:
Hi,

Fairly new to skiing (started this year), I was wondering if I should be be doing some form of balance training and if so what's good to do?

Currently in the Gym 3 times a week and do a lot of Olympic style lifting (no not cross fit) so squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, snatching and clean 'n' jerk is all taken care of (bench press is for posers). I have fairly good leg strength for my size. Doing all these lifts with good form keeps a fairly strong core too.

I've been thinking of ways of improving my skiing when not skiing and was thinking that balance could maybe be improved.

Any suggestions?

How about some anaerobic interval training mixed in with the strength work? Skiing is sometimes more anaerobic than people realise - shorter bursts at intensity followed by more "relaxed periods", so challenging your core and balance when anaerobically tiring is very good and helps condition you. Also with the balance - "plyometrics" - jumping up and off, steps, boxes, hops etc sideways forwards, back, short then long etc. Again when tired, looking for form. Just dont hurt yourself!
snow report
Quote:

can only imagine what the bus driver will think

The other leg doesn't have to be waving in the air. Half an inch off the ground does it nicely. wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

can only imagine what the bus driver will think

The other leg doesn't have to be waving in the air. Half an inch off the ground does it nicely. wink

So he (and your fellow passengers to be at the bus stop) will just think your attempting levitation through meditation Happy
ski holidays
Try the old exercise bike or a real one if you have hills and gears. Then there are stair hops: two legs and then one. Good for both strength and balance.
If all else fails then try standing on your head. Great for when you catch an edge. Very Happy
snow report
rambotrader wrote:
If all else fails then try standing on your head. Great for when you catch an edge. Very Happy

Didn't realise I could train for that, I've always gone with the flow. But I shall add it in
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Old people over 35.......

Shocked
latest report
Yes, fullenglish, a rather interesting statement.
And as an "Old-person-over-35", i would be interesting in the evidence to back it up . . . Puzzled
snow report
He's right.

Quote:
There have been multiple studies looking at changes in proprioceptive function with age [1, 5, 7–10, 12, 17]. Work done by Goble et al. indicates that JPS becomes more accurate through childhood and adolescence, peaks in young adulthood and then progressively deteriorates after this

http://ageing.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/11/14/ageing.aft174.full

Get waving that leg around, jonpim...
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
He's right.

Quote:
There have been multiple studies looking at changes in proprioceptive function with age [1, 5, 7–10, 12, 17]. Work done by Goble et al. indicates that JPS becomes more accurate through childhood and adolescence, peaks in young adulthood and then progressively deteriorates after this

http://ageing.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/11/14/ageing.aft174.full

Get waving that leg around, jonpim...

Cool, time for a midlife (or old age) crisis in 4 years then. Best get saving so I can splash out Happy
latest report
@PaulC1984, if you're around 30 your proprioception has already begun to deteriorate. Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
@PaulC1984, if you're around 30 your proprioception has already begun to deteriorate. Laughing

I thought it was just the wife and son causing it Happy

Well thats my excuse next time I have the itch to buy some more ski kit Happy
snow report
pam w wrote:

30! That's a bit harsh.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get some bench pressing done you tart wink
ski holidays
Balance training will always pay dividends. I've found Pistol squats covers lots of areas for snow sports, but as you probably know, there are so many others out there.

And as someone else said, balance training with your eyes closed really ramps it up.
ski holidays
Just did an hour's Pilates class, with at least half an hour devoted to balance. Killer poses, but brilliantly effective - glutes, hamstrings, calves and abs all getting a major workout.

Ow.
snow report
@pigeondave, Over 60. Going to run a GS this season. Hope that standing on head not necessary either. Will let you know. Little Angel
ski holidays
Well, i am most grateful to this thread - and pam w - for drawing my attention to "Balance Training".
Never heard of the concept before.
And certainly never thought it could be something that had any baring on me: over 60 but still very active.
Wrong.
Just do a Google search with balance training and reduction in falls, and you get a whole host of stuff.
With studies going right back to 1996!
I must thank my wife for starting me on Yoga (will now be less reluctanct rolling eyes )
And maybe i should be looking at Tai Chi as well . . .
Good old Snowheads. Smile
ski holidays
Balance is everything grasshopper. Doesn't matter how strong you are.
No balance = disaster. Unavoidable. Of course you can't have balance without strength as well.
You don't need formal classes for balance. Plenty of things you can do. Stand on a rock with one leg raised. Walk along a (low) fence or even road kerb. Rock hop. No shortage. Amongst other things I like to step hop on one leg as it builds up muscles and it is not that easy to do when you need to stay on the one leg, bottom to top.
Most skiers worth their salt will make it up as they go...gym or otherwise.
Sorry for the novel. Hope this helps. Cheers and see you on the bumps! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy