Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Socks CEP vs. Falke

Poster: A snowHead
Right, i need some new ski socks and I currently use Spyder X-statics which I love but finding it increasingly harder to replace them. My Spyder socks are what I would call thin with minimal if any padding and thin on the top side of the foot. Especially over the arch area .

If anyone has used or uses the Spyder X-static socks and knows of a very similar sock i'd be happy to know your thoughts.

Looking for some new socks I've seen Falke in the high street stores and seen some adverts for CEP in Powder. Does anyone know if either are superior to the other? or if they are similar build to the X-static socks?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smartwool phd?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a couple of pairs of CEP compression ski socks, they are truly the beset ski socks I have ever used, I'm slowly moving to an all CEP sock quiver.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can highly recommend the Falke SK Energizing socks. Not cheap, but worth it.

I have foam injected boots, so need thin socks, and these compression socks fit the bill. They are also the only socks I have used the stay up all day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had Falke SK2s but they were too thick with my new boots so I've bought some SK5s. They are very thin and a wool/silk mix so very warm; at least in a Snowdome. The padding is minimal and only in key areas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am not at all convinced that there is much to be said for any of these complex socks. A thin structure, padding where required, merino is nice for odour reasons, all that said, I'd probably go Decathlon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Although I own a few pairs of Falke... which seem to fit fairly well.

Given that ~80% (+)? of the folks I see on the slopes are not particularly accomplished skiers, wouldn't notice if they were on wildly different skis, I don't think socks are high on the list of most important articles; as long as they are clean.

Well fitting boots however...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am sure the CEP are the largest European manufacture of compression sock, mostly for the medical world, you need to take a few measurements to select the correct size, including calf, ankle and foot size, I think with Falke you just work of foot size - it says a lot to me that one is a technical sock and the other is a general purpose one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I seem to recall a recent study with decent population pretty much proving that compression socks had little if any effect?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
might not have been recent, and applies only to running, and I get the impression only at high level, etc. etc. etc. http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/recovery/do-compression-socks-really-work_62611
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mooney058, yep ive seen those - but I wash socks daily and never had the issue of odour so synthetic has been fine - also never had cold feet so never thought of wool.

@Charliee, did you pick these up in a store, london by any chance?

@PowderAdict, will have to look at these and see how they comapre to the SK5s that Gaza mentioned.

@under a new name, I picked up some spyder socks a few years back and somehow didnt pick up the x-static ones - long story short a few hours on the mountain my feet were killing me especially on top of the arch - realised it was down to the socks being slightly thicker - you're right 80% of skiers would be none the wiser - it probably doesn't help using a low volume boot either
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@extremerob, oh, now that I totally can agree and sympathise with. I have one pair (of Falkes) which are about ?60% thicker than anything else I have and I'll cramp up pretty quickly in them. They only get used when nothing else is clean.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bought a pair of Falke SK2 last season and love them. Superior to the Smartwool ones that I have in terms of fit, to the extent that I don't really feel that I'm wearing socks. Not sure if that's all that relevant to your particular requirements, but I was sceptical that the Falkes would be worth the money and they definitely are.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HOW MUCH?? do the CEPs cost? Shocked

I'd go http://www.wedze.fr/chaussette-ski-homme-heatline-noirrouge-id_8343731

I will say that I have only bought the Falkes when I had forgotten to pack any socks. Or they were presents. Or at enormous discount.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@extremerob, I was wrong about the SK5s. No wool but 25% silk to give heat and anti bacterial properties - http://www.falke.com/uk_en/falke-sk5-men-skiing-socks-kniestruempfe-blau-16563-6712/

According to the bumf they are used by the Austrian Ski Team and Ski Pool so a good endorsement for them.
ski holidays
think the main thing is to find a brand and thickness that works, and stick with it
mine just happen to be all Falke SK2s now. SK1s were too thick. SK4 or 5's would be too thin. and depends on what brands you can get locally. being in Germany, it's going to be expensive Falke or even more expensive Xsocks. People have told me to save money and buy Thorlo's or Smartwool. Nice try. never seen them here at all. Same with some brands of jackets... poser brand in UK is equivalent of Columbia or Berghaus here.
I have one other pair that are just annoying when you've got so used to one that feels right.
ski holidays
@Gaza, using free kit is a good endorsement Puzzled wink
snow report
I think CEP's are about £40 per pair, expensive but amazing, I get them from the distributor in Hereford
latest report
@under a new name, true to an extent but they aren't going to wear crap just because they are free. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Charliee wrote:
I think CEP's are about £40 per pair, expensive but amazing, I get them from the distributor in Hereford

And I thought the SK5s at £25-£30 a pair were expensive. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@Charliee, "amazing" in what regard? (Specifically, ski related).
ski holidays
I'm perfectly happy with my wool/silk Thorlo socks, cost a fair bit less than any of the ones mentioned in this thread and still as good as new after at least 10 years really hard use.
ski holidays
Dissent socks are excellent
http://www.dissentlabs.com

Everyone has their favorite, but came across these at Whistler, fine Canadian socks!
snow report
Quote:

I'm slowly moving to an all CEP sock quiver.

You've gotta love snowheads........ wink Laughing
latest report
@rjs, I'm still using 2 pairs of Thorlo socks I bought well over 20 years ago - one pair always does 2 days skiing with a day's rest in between where they hang inside out on a radiator or the end of my bed. It means I get through 4 pairs in a week's holiday max. Since moving out here I switched to Falke because Thorlos are impossible to find in our shops. I usually replace 1 or 2 pairs per year. Having a Falke shop at the Salzburg Designer Centre where they are discounted certainly helps!
latest report
@PowderAdict, if you or anyone else is interested snow+rock have last years falke energizer sock going for £25 - its not on the website and its not on the shelves. High St. Ken branch had a bunch at the back. So may be worth calling up your local branch.

Verdict is SK4 is still thicker than the Spyder x-static socks did a comparison in store - going to attempt to get some SK5s.
snow conditions
@extremerob, I cleaned them out a month ago but they are showing stock again - http://skiracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=384#.VmdSD_myNBc
ski holidays
@Gaza, thanks - but they're out of my size - so is skibartlett. Good old German stores have them in stock though
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would highly recommend CEP socks. Fantastic.
ski holidays
@downhillalltheway, fantastic why? I find that if a sock fits well it's pretty fantastic and Quechua sell them for about €3 ...
snow report
Darn Tough are my new faves. Lifetime warranty - you never need to buy socks again. Plus they bribed me with bacon topped maple ice cream. Possibly the tastiest thing ever.
ski holidays
downhillalltheway wrote:
Would highly recommend CEP socks. Fantastic.

Reviving old threads - as good a way as any to say hello again "hello again" Smile

http://www.physioroom.com/brand/cep/401.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiKS3BRCU-7XQ75Te3NoBEiQAA2t_xDTbd9La0C3a2TBjQqKLUK6FIhghbMhzZUFzPI7ZJz0aAqa_8P8HAQ

Was doing a bit of research after finally admitting that my 10 year old socks are past it found these while searching - bargain at £7 - ordered yesterday, on my feet now, lovely and comfy, not as thin as I was expecting but not daftly thick. I was a tad concerned re: sizing, after going by calf measurement only, but they're a cracking fit.
ski holidays
Falke SK4's - got a few pairs and they are great
ski holidays
I'm conflicted . . .

Yay! an in depth discussion about socks snowHead

OFFS! an in depth discussion about socks Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Until FTZ comments on sock etiquette I am sticking with Falke.

Feet not the warmest in them.
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
Smartwool phd?

+1
They're thin but warm and very comfortable.
latest report
chivdog wrote:
mooney058 wrote:
Smartwool phd?

+1
They're thin but warm and very comfortable.

Agreed, love the ultra light , and at a good price excellent value, say $14.00 per pair Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I fear Snowheads has just plumbed new depths of obsessiveness. An entire thread about ski socks????
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, yeah but without this I never would've looked up Darn Tough on Dave's recommendation, and they are right up there among the snazziest ski socks I've seen. I love those yeti ones! My bro's getting a shopping list next time he's in the States Very Happy
ski holidays
I've tried oodles of ski socks in all manner of wools and/or silks but my current favourite are
Cheap Hally Hanson "Nursery Ski Socks" at two pairs for £6 from TK-Max
They are Merino Wool .. and golly gosh I'm wearing them now!
I've never raved much about socks till now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy