Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix questions

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Chamonix next week, and have a few questions. I have had a search of the forum, this topic title comes up a lot but not exactly my questions so thanks in advance for any answers Wink .

I am staying about half way between the Les Bossons and Les Moussoux bus stops on the D243 if that identifys the area. I am fairly advanced, enjoying ungroomed runs. I am going with a friend who is beginneer / intermidiate, so does not spend his time on nursery slopes but wants the easier runs on the mountain.

Where best for beginneer / intermidiate?

I have been to Chamonix once before, I was staying in Argentière and spent most of my time going up Grand Montets. I had a great time running the ungroomed terrain, on a couple of days it snowed and some people were really not enjoying it at all on the blue runs as they got very bumpy, they had not been groomed from one day to the next. Is this normal around Chamonix, or is it only there? Where would be the best area to take my friend?

Can anyone recomend venues in Chamonix?

We are both pretty into music, either live or DJ's and dancing (esp. harder dance music, not pop). Any recomendations?

Places to eat that are good and not expensive?

Any recomendations that are better than the rest, though we expect to be cooking ourselves mostly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
about half way between the Les Bossons and Les Moussoux bus stops on the D243
- basically pretty close to the Pelerins bus stop?

When exactly do you arrive? Grands Montets (limited) and Les Houches (very limited) partially opened on Saturday, full opening 18.12.15. Other areas partially opening 12.12.15. That very much affects where to take your friend. These days if conditions and snow permits I would expect the Grands Montets blues to be groomed overnight. Some are not I think, deliberately I think.

The Jekyll has music sometimes and is at the right end of town. Likewise the Vert which is probably your nearest bar. Also the MBC but that's at the wrong end of town. I am not at all sure what will be scheduled as the season hasn't really started until 18.12...

See also a map of useful spots here http://bit.ly/1m6UUBx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beginners will enjoy Le Tour
For cheap (ish) eats, go to MBC ( Canadian Micro Brewery) for a v nice burger, home fries, and a big tube of beer. AND if you have a hunger on, nachos to start
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Beginners will enjoy Le Tour

not if it's closed they won't.

MBC is about 45-50 mins walk from OP's accomm.

No idea what buses are running.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I arrive by Monday 14th, I may get there on Sunday 13th.

I am not familiar with Chamonix town, from google maps I think the closest bus stop is Les Bossons, in the other direction the closest is Les Pelerins.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
apparently, "Chamonuit" night bus is and last connection to Pelerins from MBC at 22:55 ...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great suggestions above re. food, drink, music, skiing.

Harder dance music – it does exist, but it’s rather limited, I suspect especially so this early in the winter.

In addition to those mentioned above, try:
Pop into Monkey and ask about their line-up over the next few days. They have music most night -both DJs and live music. No problem dancing, I've been up dancing on tables and benches there.
SouthBar – has a little underground cellar club, only really used on Sunday nights, and that’s pretty hardcore dance music. Not sure it’ll be every Sunday though. And it’s VERY French.
There are a couple of clubs in town (Amnesia nearest you), and if the right DJ is on, could be a little more hardcore but you’d need to check out who’s actually playing.
Live music – Chambre Neuf après party for pop/rock, but I don’t think the band show up this early for the season. They normally don’t start until Christmas week. Sometimes have DJ’s later in the evening, which can be a little more dancey – pop in and ask the bar staff what is scheduled for the week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hughbedo wrote:
I am going to Chamonix next week, and have a few questions. I have had a search of the forum, this topic title comes up a lot but not exactly my questions so thanks in advance for any answers Wink .

I am staying about half way between the Les Bossons and Les Moussoux bus stops on the D243 if that identifys the area. I am fairly advanced, enjoying ungroomed runs. I am going with a friend who is beginneer / intermidiate, so does not spend his time on nursery slopes but wants the easier runs on the mountain.

Where best for beginneer / intermidiate?

Le tour opens the weekend as does brevent/flegere they all have areas that a beginner can navigate

I have been to Chamonix once before, I was staying in Argentière and spent most of my time going up Grand Montets. I had a great time running the ungroomed terrain, on a couple of days it snowed and some people were really not enjoying it at all on the blue runs as they got very bumpy, they had not been groomed from one day to the next. Is this normal around Chamonix, or is it only there? Where would be the best area to take my friend?

Can anyone recomend venues in Chamonix?

unless you get first bin you'll never see a groomed piste. I don't think in 6 seasons I've ever ridden one!

We are both pretty into music, either live or DJ's and dancing (esp. harder dance music, not pop). Any recomendations?

bunker and amnesia, iy95 and kim who dj at monkey/bardup etc tend to favour hip hop..

Places to eat that are good and not expensive?

monkey for half price burgers on a Monday is a must Smile

Any recomendations that are better than the rest, though we expect to be cooking ourselves mostly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another question, if it snows do you generally need snow chains / winter tires to get in and out of chamonix town?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hughbedo, the roads are generally well cleared but I have no idea where the mandatory chains beyond this point signs are. So you might. (We have winters on a 4*4 so have never needed chains). I wouldn't want to be without winter tyres though. At all. Frequently see tourists stuck beside the road, even when well cleared.

(Edited because I did make sense the first time snowHead )

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 7-12-15 19:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am trying to figure out how lift passes work at http://www.chamonix.net/english/lift-systems/lift-passes. For me I will probably want the unlimited, and that is cheaper up until the 18th, so I could get 4 days early season (180) and 3 days main season (176) but that is more than 7 days main season (326.5) so I guess that is the one to go for.

For my friend if he wants to ski both La Tour and Les Houches does he need the unlimited as well? It seems the Le Pass covers most of the easier runs but not Les Houches, and I cannot find a Les Houches only ticket. Am I missing something?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hughbedo, Unlimited's main value is top bin at GMs and Les Houches. I don't know if the glaciers adequately covered yet for them to operate the top GM bin.

Lift opening details here http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/lifts-chamonix includes notes on special prices, e.g. Grands Montets €27. So 4 days there + 3 days main season is cheaper.

There was previously a Les Houches only pass and I can't see how this doesn't still exist because otherwise you'd need to buy the Unlimited to ski Les Houches, which, frankly, would be rather laughable. Not that the CMB don't occasionally have rather weird ideas. I suspect best to check Les Houches cash desks on the day. It is hardly going to be busy.

In fact, given the weather uncertainty, I wouldn't buy anything until I arrived.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GM Top cable car not open yet
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Houches prices here: http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/site-overview/les-houches/rates

under a new name wrote:

In fact, given the weather uncertainty, I wouldn't buy anything until I arrived.

+1
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well done, @fixx, was sure they'd be somewhere.

@BobinCH, didn't imagine so.
snow conditions
Thanks for the great suggestions.

Quote:

SouthBar – has a little underground cellar club, only really used on Sunday nights, and that’s pretty hardcore dance music. Not sure it’ll be every Sunday though. And it’s VERY French.

So underground and french that you have to speak french and be on facebook to see their listings (both of which exclude me) Wink

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/southbar.chamonix
ski holidays
@hughbedo, Smile

Just take a wander in when you're in the area and ask if they've anything going in, though it might be too early in the winter- the owner and staff are all french, but all speak english, and are used to it amongst their customers. I'm not sure they really 'do' facebook in general.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy