Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bolle modulator system for goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm looking for nice all around goggles and found the bolle emperor with modulator system. I would like to buy them but I see there are the let say standard modulator type (citrus gun for example) and a newer (?) Modulator control light system (i can get the shiny black). Anyone knows the modulator light control lenses? I found some positive feedback on the normal version but nothing clear about the modulator light system.

Would appreciate any help
Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@spitfire303, I think they are new for this season, I don't recall seeing them last season when I was looking for new ones.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a "citrus gun" and a "citrus gun modulator". The modulator is a really good all round lens, everybody I know is well happy with them. 1 of them has the emperor, the others have the nova, doesn't appear to much difference between flat and spherical lenses. Go on amazon for some good deals, picked up emperors for £45 and novas as low as £22.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This the one with light control system

http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/goggles/emperor/shiny-black-modulator-light-control

I wonder what the difference is with the normal modulator.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks like the modulator system reacts to changing light conditions, darkening in bright light and getting lighter in poor light.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And it was not the case for the ordinary modulator ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had modulator lenses for a few years now, change to the light conditions. They're the Nova in with a vermillion modulator lens.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spitfire303 wrote:
This the one with light control system

http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/goggles/emperor/shiny-black-modulator-light-control

I wonder what the difference is with the normal modulator.

I think - one is photocromatic and the other is photcromatic and polarised (your shiny black.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hammerite, I think they must be different in some way as there seems to be a large price difference, and from memory they were always a similar cost. I've bought a couple of pairs of the vermillion modulator before.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spitfire303, I've been having a look on the Bollé site, the new modulator light control is also a polarised lens, and the normal modulator isn't.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 7-12-15 16:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/goggles/duchess/shiny-black-modulator-light-control

and

http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/goggles/duchess/black-and-white-nordic-modulator-citrus-gun

Hover over the lens pic to see its properties.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I ordered the modulator light control goggles. I will let you know how it works in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had the old Bolle modulator lense (can't remember the frame model) approx 4 years ago and was very impressed with the system, only reason I changed was I scratched the lense.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Funny thing that today I went to a sport shop and the guy told me that ONLY julbo do photochromic lenses that actually work... the only photochromic lenses they had were .... julbo. The good thing they had the emperor model with (with standard lenses ) so I was able to try them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am currently used the poc nxt photochomic lense for the first time last week and was very impressed. Can't say if it's better than the Bolle because of the four years between using them.
ski holidays
I've had a couple of pairs of the original Bollé Modulator, they do work.
snow report
I've got some Bolle Spiral sunglasses with grey modulator lenses . . .(presume these are the old ones) . . they work brilliantly in all conditions other than the whitest of whiteouts . . .
snow report
Hi

I'm currently on vacation in the Alpes and use those goggles each day since a week. I really don't know if they work well. The thing is that the weather conditions are always the same. Full sunshine the all day around. I tried to look directly into the sun hoping to see a difference but no luck with that or at least I haven't noticed any. Any idea how could I test them?
latest report
I found that although it was very bright and sunny last week that the light did change. The sun is low in the sky, so at the top you'll be in bright sunshine, a little bit further down and you're likely to be in shade and it will be a bit darker.

Granted you aren't able to test with flat light or white out type conditions.
snow report
spitfire303 wrote:
Funny thing that today I went to a sport shop and the guy told me that ONLY julbo do photochromic lenses that actually work... the only photochromic lenses they had were .... julbo. The good thing they had the emperor model with (with standard lenses ) so I was able to try them.

well that's rubbish - but think he/she meant to say Julbo were ( as in were but no longer are ) the only option for photochromc AND polarised ski goggles.

The Smith photochromic lens is very good ( red sensor ) , and Bolle are generally good lenses and very good value.
snow conditions
I have some Salomon photochromics now on their second season which work very well. If you google you can (a) prove your shop chap wrong; and (b) read the specification so you can see the range of transmission for each make. The Salomon is sufficient for my purposes at least, other brands probably work well too.
ski holidays
. . Just got back from a week in L2A with my new Bolle Modulator Light control goggles (Nova II frames). . .these have the new photo sensitive NXT technology and were excellent all week, both in sunshine and overcast. Vision has a reddish tint, externally they are a blue mirror . . .comfortable, good field of vision and zero fogging . . .picked them up for £59 from Blaze Sunglasses so good value from the £115 RRP too . . . .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy