Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Location for Solo beginner over Christmas/New year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello
I hope some of you are able to help; my holiday plans just fell through and i need to book a holiday asap . I am a solo traveller and finding it hard to find a ski holiday for the Christmas/ new years break to ski Europe without including airfares, as I live in Abu Dhabi. Does anyone know of companies that provide any affordable packages available without flight

I am new to skiing so I'm guessing the following:
- Somewhere that doesn't require a visa for New Zealand passport holder
- Somewhere with guaranteed snow and good for beginners some time over my holiday period of 18th dec to Jan 2nd (I am flexible with dates within that time, and would prefer a week on the slopes and some time in the city I fly into) I'm open to suggestions for different countries as I have not yet bought my flights.
- I would prefer a hotel with part or full board, and including ski pass and gear hire options. Also, something that is ski in/out if possible, or has a shuttle to the slopes as I will not have my own transport.
- I would also require airport transfers to the hotel from a major airport; I have access to Etihad flights so the location would need to be accessible from an airport they fly to. http://flights.etihad.com/routemap/
- Cost wise I am also flexible: Somewhere without a single supplement is vital, or hostel with single room is OK, (im a 36 year old female, so not a rowdy party hostel) but I am open to suggestions of more expensive options if need be, that include board etc that has a nice atmosphere/ facilities and is convenient to get to the slopes (ski in/ski out).

I hope you are able to help with finding a package for me over such a busy time of the year and on such short notice. My friend will be looking into flights this morning as he is only here for a day (can score me cheap flights) so I'm hoping to get a package sourced and that and flights booked with the flight in the next 24 hours.

Hopefully someone out there knows of a provider of this kind of package Smile
Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs, @Caletv. snowHead Between us we can probably help but personally I have no idea which countries you can do on a NZ passport without a visa. If you can tell us, that'd be a great start. The obvious contenders are Austria, France, Switzerland, Italy.

Do you have all the clothing you need? (Ski gear, gloves, etc). When I stopped very briefly at Ruapehu, years ago, you could hire gear, but that's not possible in Europe AFAIK. You can hire boots, skis and helmet, of course.

If a single supplement is out of the question you might be out of luck, at this late stage, if you're not prepared to share.

One problem with booking in the next 24 hours is that the snow picture is looking very uncertain at the moment. There were good falls in some areas a week or so ago, but now with mild weather dominant some of that is melting. It might be best to book your flights to one of the big regional airports and then wait to book accommodation and a transfer to the resort. Looking at the Etihad route map Geneva is the obvious choice.

The Christmas week will be cheaper and less crowded than the NY week so more likely to get a good deal. But in both cases you'll get more choice if your ski time is Saturday/Saturday. Group ski lessons are also generally geared up to weekend arrivals.

There are lots of excellent small operators of hotels and chalets which are not part of a "package" with flights. But of course a lot of places will now be booked, particularly for the new year week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello. Thanks s much for the reply. Good to know I can't get the clothing hirage!!! Just assumed it would be there. Where to find it in Abu Dhabi will be fun!!
I'll look at Christmas week if you think its better.
Looks like its just Russia and Ukraine that I would need a visa for, so not a problem.
I was told Geneva too by one of the ladies from Crystal (online chat) for a couple of high altitude ski slopes which have more of a possibility of snow. It's all so new to me, so I'm so lost.
The 'small operators' do you mean owners of the chalet/hotel? How do you find these?
Thanks for your help
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe consider a short break? Try igoski they do everything but the lift pass kit hire and lessons. Or mountain sun. They do everything but the flights, kit hire and lessons. The both do transfers on their short breaks. When I looked a couple of weeks ago they both had spaces still over the holidays.
Or try ucpa or action outdoors. They do everything but flights and transfers.
Hope I've got that the right way round. Info is to the best of my knowledge. You'd obviously want to check their small print. Especially over such a peak period.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The 'small operators' do you mean owners of the chalet/hotel? How do you find these?

resort websites have loads of links. And there's a website "chalets direct" where you can post your requirements. You do get some irrelevant replies....

You probably can leave it a fair bit later - there are loads of places within reach of Geneva and (fingers crossed) if the snow comes in, as we all hope, you won't have to go high altitude.

The resort websites will give you a good feel for what's what, including lift pass costs and links to ski school sites. Do you have a rough budget?

Resorts will all have shops selling ski clothing but they can be pricey. There are also much cheaper chain shops (Decathlon, Go Sport) where you could pick up everything you need in one mad trolley dash. But that's not so easy without transport - they are not in resorts.

You have set yourself a bit of a logistical challenge..... but it's doable.

If you have time to browse, have a look at websites for the Portes du Soleil area and the Grand Massif. Both easy from Gva with a range of different resorts. Will give you an idea about lift pass and lesson costs.

One option is UCPA Centres - these are hostel style accommodation - very good value all in, including full board, lift pass and lessons. They have a centre in flaine with twin rooms (most are dorm rooms). Not sure how much you'd pay extra to have a twin room for yourself but might still be cheaper than a hotel or catered chalet. In UK their holidays are sold through Actio Outdoors - their website will give you prices and availability.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Probably better moving your post to the solo skiers v groups section (i know you were looking primarily for a hotel but might be some good options over there).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another shout for action outdoors and the ucpa centres. May be in flaine New Years week myself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try Andorra, fly to Barcelona, transfer £52, excellent ski schools. Best place to learn, imo. A lot cheaper than some of the Alps options.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Caletv, Welcome to snowHead 's. Got space in our B&B in Morzine France. 18th to 27th is available. Small en-suite room with no single supplement. Fly into Geneva and we can transfer you up and down. Have a look at the website below and contact management (Nina) if it may work for you. Depending on size we can possibly loan you some ski clothes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I quite accept its not the sole reason to pick a resort but you can hire ski clothing in Zermatt. Delayed luggage meant we had to do this once. It wasn't the most glamorous , but did the job perfectly well!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Caletv, I think UCPA would work out well for you (though DallyPaul's offer above also looks good!). I think there are already some Snowheads going to the UCPA centres at Val d'Isere and Val Thorens over Christmas/New Year so you might be able to link in with them. The centres attract a lot of solo travelers generally though, so are friendly places to be.

They do deals including all your full time instruction for beginners and also full board, lift pass, ski and boot hire. So really good value. You can also get a transfer with them from Geneva to your centre for an additional fee.

Though snow is uncertain at the moment, Val Thorens, Tignes/Val d'Isere, Les Arcs/La Plagne are all high resorts about as snowsure as you get.

https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart?ActivityID=12871
https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart?ActivityID=13242
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to have a look into what you've said, and have contacted Dallypaul just now. All this is TMI at the moment trying to do it so quickly, but hopefully I can get something booked in the next few days! Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CAPTA1N P wrote:
Try Andorra, fly to Barcelona, transfer £52, excellent ski schools. Best place to learn, imo. A lot cheaper than some of the Alps options.

Hi. Do they usually have snow there so early?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?cam=15090&design=v3&c0=0&lg=en&s=0

Thats the webcam right now, also google grandvalira.com.

Too easy apparently for the more seasoned skier, but great ski schools, confidence building slopes and a happy, smiley atmosphere. Myself and those I ski with all love the place.

Its just another option to look at.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Courchevel, France.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy