Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is the best for last minute deals for 12th/13th December?

Poster: A snowHead
As the thread title says, anyone seen any great deals for holidays leaving next week? Also any advice on which tour operators are open to negotiation on dropping single supplements or anything? I tried it with the web chat on Crystal earlier and my questions around filling empty chalets by reducing or removing the supplements were completely ignored, I think it may have been a robot.

Any advice appreciated, I usually book in advance but I am itching to get away...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm also interested in what TOs will be open to negotiation, but for leaving on the 19th. Get the feeling that I missed the boat a bit for a real deal when Crystal had their £100 off Cyber Monday Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah that Alpe d'Huez deal was very good, I would have taken it if it wasn't Christmas week as I have other commitments.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is there any chance you can book your own flights? If so I reckon you could get a real bargain with an independent operator that week
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Minion1980, @SnoodyMcFlude, Conditions are dire so the TOs should bite your hand off.

The smaller TO might be easier to negotiate with - it's hard to get past the robots with the bigger operators
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Minion1980 wrote:
Yeah that Alpe d'Huez deal was very good, I would have taken it if it wasn't Christmas week as I have other commitments.

That one had gone by the Monday I think, but was still showing on the site. Whenever you tried to book it a message cropped up that said "this package is no longer available". I think the Val D one was decent but I ummed and aahhd about it (especially as the reviews for the accommodation were shocking)

Nadenoodlee No reason why not, other than it being more things to organise which come tumbling down around me Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd book flights nearest to the best area @SnoodyMcFlude, (check transfers in advance) and post on chalets direct
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
@Minion1980, @SnoodyMcFlude, Conditions are dire so the TOs should bite your hand off.

The smaller TO might be easier to negotiate with - it's hard to get past the robots with the bigger operators

Just out of interest who exactly are the smaller Tour Operators? I check Crystal, Inghams, Neilson, Skiworld and then also check Iglu and Sno but these two are agents are they not?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If dealing with big TOs then it's worth popping in to their high street travel agent shops rather than calling up. The best deals are usually to be found there, often some ridiculous last minute deals to be had (having worked for Crystal before in-resort I was often staggered by the prices that some punters got). You often have to chance it right up to the Thursday or Friday before travel though, and busier weeks are an absolute no-no. Pre-Xmas and early Jan are the prime target weeks for a discount.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dav wrote:
If dealing with big TOs then it's worth popping in to their high street travel agent shops rather than calling up. The best deals are usually to be found there, often some ridiculous last minute deals to be had (having worked for Crystal before in-resort I was often staggered by the prices that some punters got). You often have to chance it right up to the Thursday or Friday before travel though, and busier weeks are an absolute no-no. Pre-Xmas and early Jan are the prime target weeks for a discount.

Good advice, I might try this tomorrow and then again later in the week!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Make sure you say 'I want to book today' @Minion1980, sure fire £££ technique

Smaller operators - I can't name them all- for example in my resort they'd include Rude, Mountain Mavericks, More Mountain, Treeline Chalets for example. Just pick a resort and Google RESORT NAME CHALET COMPANIES

There's a wonderful world away from the big companies snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahh I see, thanks Nadenoodles Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I'd book flights nearest to the best area @SnoodyMcFlude, (check transfers in advance) and post on chalets direct

Will give it some thought but initial looks suggest it's all a bit pricey for me. I'm trying to get flights, t'frs, accomodation, pass & rental for under £650 if I can. Not worried about going s/c as can survive on taking some stuff and about £100 (managed this for 3 trips now). THe deals are out there too, can doing La Tania with a local pass (which I assume is Courcheval only) for under that. Another 360 would get the area pass but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get all the way across to VT and back again in a day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doable @SnoodyMcFlude, especially if you're on your own ad not hindered by 'faffers ' wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Doable @SnoodyMcFlude, especially if you're on your own ad not hindered by 'faffers ' wink

I am a faffer! Me and a mate did a reasonably easy VT to Courchevel 1550 and back again with plenty of time to spare (including a couple of leisurely stops) so don't doubt that it's doable. Although I do seem to remember that I made at least 1 mistake and got the wrong lift. The real question is whether I'd get enough skiing from it to be worth the £60, or if I'd be happy enough pootling round Courchevel for the whole week.
snow report
Why i see @SnoodyMcFlude, depends on the snow Very Happy and back to square 1 snowHead
snow report
@Minion1980, mountainsun & snowheads
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Why i see @SnoodyMcFlude, depends on the snow Very Happy and back to square 1 snowHead

True story. A waiting game I think. At the end of the day if I don't get away over Christmas then I'm on the Livigno bash in a few weeks...but would be nice to get another trip in too Very Happy
latest report
Action outdoors or a SnowHeads bash would be my advice for the budget
ski holidays
Kamikaze Pete wrote:
Action outdoors or a SnowHeads bash would be my advice for the budget

Looked at Action Outdoors and still an option. No Bash to fit the dates that I can do (19th-26th December)
snow conditions
Well I just got what I think is a pretty good deal, £329 in a chalet in Les Arcs 2000, double room single occupant. I rang i-Ski and the fellow there was very helpful in finding it for me, it is with Ski Total. Now I am crossing my fingers for those long range forecasts which are showing some snowy conditions that week Smile
ski holidays
Are yous skiing or snowboarding?
snow report
Snowboarding...
ski holidays
We have a few rooms left for 13-20th Dec for £299pp fully catered with no single supplement - any use? Details via the link below . . . .
ski holidays
@Minion1980, Avoriaz will be open from the 11th and so will we here in Morzine. Contact management( Nina)
if of interest for a snowHead 's price.
latest report
Go on chalet direct solution room and post your requirements inc cost and then begin to negotiate. Make sure you pick somewhere where the snow is good. A lot will also throw a free transfer in.
latest report
red 27 wrote:

Conditions are indeed so dire that Argentiere is opening two weeks early and entire Chamonix one week early.

Dire indeed, or not really at all... Puzzled
ski holidays
Where the inversion has reared its ugly head, it isn't pretty.

T -7 until first turns. But where is still the question.

I might wait until Thursday to book, if I have the nerve. Going with a car, so all options still on the table.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions far from dire here in Tignes (as I have been describing every day for the last week)- the resort may will up fast with late bookers as some of the lower resorts suffer a bit but Skiworld still have the full chalet deal from £352.
ski holidays
Tignes is definitely a contender.... there are definitely still some friendly to my wallet options in Tignes... you may see us there.

I'd like to go to Murren/Wengen, but it is still to dear, unless I want to do self catering, but I'd really like a vacation from the kitchen.
snow report
Friend just booked for january on crystal ski.... All ready to press "go" on line but delayed it for half hour... Suddenly got offered 200 quid discount !!!!! Result
latest report
Getting very tempted to book something for the 12th/13th also, but have been worrying about a lack of snow; reading that Tigne is doing well and having literally just reserved my first set skis... temptation looks to becoming a certainty! snowHead
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, where did your friend book?
snow report
I spent today skiing the dire conditions in Avoriaz, which has opened early, to show everyone how dire it is I assume @under a new name,

It was heaven snowHead
snow conditions
I have a question re Tignes... I have seen chalet deals in Les Brevieres, but looks as if chairs are currently shut from there. Is it possible to get to slopes still, by bus etc? Have been to tignes before but stayed in VC only.
Obvs don't wanna book somewhere and be confined to a room for a week no matter how cosy! Wink
snow report
Also looking for 12/13th week so any further advice would be great!!!
ski holidays
Looks like best bets are Tignes & Val Thorens. Although just saw some nice posts from Avoriaz.

Verbier is claiming 250cm - and then Saas-Fee - both are pricey though
latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Friend just booked for january on crystal ski.... All ready to press "go" on line but delayed it for half hour... Suddenly got offered 200 quid discount !!!!! Result

discounted from how much to how much?
snow report
It's all a bit crazy confusing!!
ski holidays
Booked for champoluc for january .. On line price started at 1810 all in fir two people, strange hiw waitng 35 minutes got him 200 discount..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy