Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Young children in Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

We will be spending a week in Val d'Isere over Easter with our kids aged 3 and 6. They have never been skiing before. We have been looking at childcare options, does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Ski options for the little one seem limited but keen to give the older one a good first ski experience.

All thoughts gratefully received

Cheers

K
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi K,

kosciosco - Australian by any chance?

Anyway hope I can give you my tuppence worth as a year round Brit local, ski and snowboard instructor as well as having a little un (19 months old) of my own.

Firstly childcare - I can recommend Jelly and Ice Cream. Tina runs a tight ship with a great team of staff so she (as another local) will be well placed to help you out. I can also recommend t4 Nanny which is run by Tess - again a local and very knowledgable!

In terms of ski options - well at one end of the scale there is the Jardins des Enfants for the little one - french run and very french with French staff / instructors etc. Likewise the older one could have the ESF group lessons. Conversely if you want smaller groups, English speaking staff / instructors then I can recommend school such as ourselves www.tdcski.com. We ONLY do private lessons for kids of that age I am afraid. I can also point you in the direction of an outfit such as Progression if you wanted group sessions for the 6 year old.

I think the comment about wanting to give the older one a "good first ski experience" needs considering carefully. Also bear in mind that being a school holiday week you will need to book quick'ish otherwise you'll miss the boat in terms of choice.... the ESF will always have space though!

I hope that helps - I could write for a couple of hundred pages about this topic however perhaps the best thing to do is if you have more queries you respond on here or private message me.

KR,

Steve Angus
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Steve,

Not Australian - long story!

We contacted Jelly and Ice Cream, sounds like that will work perfectly.

For our six year old she would probably do better in a group situation rather than private lessons.

Having looked at the ski schools, the only thing that worries me about Progrssion is that the lessons are 4 hours long which might be a bit much. I have used New Generation before and they are good but their lessons are only 2 hours which doesn't seem enough. Oxygene offer three hour lessons but i know nothing about them. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Simon
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kosciosco, I'd say 2 hours is fine for a 6 year old. I share your concern about 4 hour lessons.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kosciosco

Oxygene are generally OK but I would not vouch 100% for all the instructors a) cause I dont know them all and b) as they often have new ones each year.

Try looking at Mountain Masters - Tansy is EXCELLENT with little ones if she happens to be taking the little ones but they are a good school but I cant remember length of lesson.

2 hours for a 6 year old is short agreed but I dont think it would be the end of the world - 4 hours too much perhaps.

But Oxygene and Mountain Masters - have a look at them!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

2 hours for a 6 year old is short agreed

I find 2 hours is fine for me!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would agree 4 hours may be a tad long for a 6 year old. However, it would depend on how intense lessons are and the conditions. On the flip side if they are engaged in 4 hour lessons that gives the parents 4 hours uninterrupted skiing.

If you can afford private lessons then these will massively help your 6 year old improve. Yes they may meet friends in a group but the lessons will not be as effective. I can definitely recommend www.tdcski.com.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy