Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade parking at lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Am about to book hotel outside Grossarl and will have hire car. Does anyone know if parking near lifts for Grossarl and Alpenbach incurs charges?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skivor, as far as I know all parking in the area is free
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skivor, There are no charges at any of the car parks in Austria unless you stay overnight or longer in some of them. The resorts depend as much on day visitors as they do on hotel guests with day passes costing so much these days, if they charged for parking, they'd be cutting their own throats! I'm a long term (over 20 years) regular day visitor to resorts in both Tirol and Salzburgerland and have never been asked to pay, including in multi-storey car parks or underground ones.

Are you choosing between Alpbach and Großarl or are you doing both? The former is in Tirol and the latter is quite a distance away in Salzburgerland. Großarl is delightful, at the end of a long sheltered valley, the last part of the road there is quite twisting (akin to some of the access to French resorts without the steep climb). Alpbach is relatively easily approached from the A12 Inntal Autobahn, but again it is up along a valley. Alpbach has a very long tradition of skiing with UK tour operators, whereas Großarl is definitely off the radar and very traditional, but just as modern in terms of infrastructure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So why are there charges at the bottom of the Hahnenkamm (and for some time) and I think they have introduced it at the bottom of the Kitbuheler Horn. I got told that when the Flek was closed for high winds or something, if you drive to the bottom of the Hahnenkamm gondola, tell them the Fleks closed and they will refund you the parking costs(as it is free at the Flek)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's parking charges at some of the carparks in St Anton too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jafa, @Sitter, I have never had to pay at either location, so someone has obviously made their own rules!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you have parked illegally. They have been in place for the last 10 years plus that Im aware of.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@jafa, @Sitter, I have never had to pay at either location, so someone has obviously made their own rules!

IIRC the charges at the Rendl and Nasserein car parks have in been in place the past 3 years or so. Same with some of the ones in Lech, although not sure if you get the money back if you hold a valid ski pass for that day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info. I've just booked Hotel Dorfer outside Grossarl, 1 week 9th of Jan 625 euros pp half board with 6 day pass, no brainer!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitter wrote:
Samerberg Sue wrote:

IIRC the charges at the Rendl and Nasserein car parks have in been in place the past 3 years or so. Same with some of the ones in Lech, although not sure if you get the money back if you hold a valid ski pass for that day.

You get free parking with a valid ski pass at Schlosskopf in Lech, otherwise you need to pay - there's a barrier so there's no way to forget;-). It's free in Zuers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skivor, is the ski pass a Großarl/Gasteinertal one or a Ski amadé one? If it is the latter, you are also well placed for skiing at St Jo/Alpendorf. From the Dorfer to either Großarl or St Jo/Alpendorf is about the same, although the road is easier down to St Jo if I remember correctly.

BTW - Are you in the hotel or the self-catering apartments? If you are on B&B or self-catering, St Jo will be your best bet for shopping and a wide choice of eateries.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a paid parking area at the Hahnenkamm train station. I guess some people use this for the Hahnenkamm gondola, but there are signs there saying that you can park for free and that there are hundreds more spaces at the Fleckalmbahn for ski lift users rather than train users.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Samerberg Sue, We are half board in the hotel, pass is for Amade. Will have car hire so no probs. for accessing other places
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skivor, should be a great holiday base for you! I will be in the area but am not certain about serious skiing (fingers crossed as I'm currently signed off sick with whooping cough and some other virus-based infection). If I'm fit enough, I'm more than happy to show you around the St Jo bit as that is my "backyard" so to speak. Been skiing there every season since 1991 wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds great! Not too hot myself as tore ligaments in foot last week, swelling receding but rainbow colours still there! Will contact you nearer the time, thanks for the offer.
ski holidays
@skivor, make sure you have your swimming stuff as there are some great spas in the area, and no you don't HAVE to join the "no keks brigade" in the saunas if you don't want to! They are separate from the non-sauna participants in the public spas. Laughing Laughing

Nice one in the Gastein valley at Dorfgastein and of course the fabulous Felsenbad in Bad Gastein itself. The hot thermal waters are wonderful for aching limbs and ligaments, clothed or otherwise! wink
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, Good info! Any good ski hire shops in the area. I'm thinking of leaving my Rossis in UK. Need somewhere that would allow me to test out a few pairs, wife and I both advanced (in ability and years!).
snow conditions
@skivor, I have a good contact at St Jo - Ski Rot-Weiß-Rot, they usually have a good selection and excellent prices - speak to Eva or Gerhard (husband and wife - he's the Chairman of the Salzburg ski instructor association as well by the way). But there is also Wielander Sport in Alpendorf. Rot-Weiß-Rot have a shop in the base station of the Gondola and Wielander are just up the road past the first car park on the right-hand side. Sadly my contact with Wielander died two season ago so I don't have any links with them any more. I don't have any contacts in Großarl I'm afraid.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, Thanks for that Sue.
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, I got stung 12 euros last year at the Shattbergexpress because I was a few minutes past the deadline of 18.30 for free parking. I blame that Tatman, he kept me drinking in the Bergeralm too long Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@Kooky, yep the late parking is not free in a number of places, unless you have local "influence" of course! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy