Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much clothes to take on a ski season

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering how much clothes you need to take for a ski season. I will be a nanny in the French Alps for 4 1/2 months and working a 5 1/2 to 6 day week. I know I will be wearing my uniform most of the time but how much do you pack for when you're not working or skiing. I would appreciate it if I can get the numbers of how much of each item I should pack for e.g. T-shirts and jumpers as I don't want to over pack.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tdaulphi, depends how often you want to go to the launderette really Laughing Someone I know takes around 3-4 weeks of undies/socks/tshirts so he only has to go to the launderette about 4 times Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah,
Not a bad idea given the price of launderettes in France!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, are they very expensive? I think I might have to use one this season as my place doesn't have a washer this time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't want to go to the Laundrette as it would be about €10 to use the washer and dryer
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Socks, underwear and base layers are easily washed in the sink and dried overnight. If you are with a chalet company you should have access to a washing machine in resort, but depends on how many people are using it as to how easy it is to do washing. Think on my first season, other than ski wear, I took 2 pairs of jeans, pair of shorts, 3 or 4 hoodies and about a dozen t-shirts/tops.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah,
We've used the launderette a few times in Val Thorens and it costs €7 for a standard (8kg) load in the washer; or €9 for a 15kg load. We've had to use the latter for quilt covers and sofa covers.

On top of that it's €1 per 10 minutes for tumble drying, which soon eats up the cash.

Then again, I've no idea how much a launderette costs in the UK these days. Out of interest, can anyone comment for comparison purposes? I always work on the assumption that the French Alps is more expensive than the UK for everything!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bergmeister, thanks for that!
I used a launderette in the UK a year or so ago when my washer was on the blink and I think the prices were similar to yours.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A spare pair of underpants and one spare t-shirt / jeans / socks are required so you can always have one set hanging out to air while he other is being worn.
You can go a long way with just one set of bed clothes so no need to go overboard there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I once wore a Merino base layer for 2 weeks on the trot, whilst co-habiting...and no one killed me*. Buy merino!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a bottle of Febreze is all that's needed wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Found myself in the same situation recently! Surprised at how little detail on quantities required out there!

I went with 10 pairs of undies, 4 pairs regular socks, 5 tee shirts, couple of shorts and polo shirts for dressier occasions and 2 pairs of jeans.
Socks pants and tee shirts can be washed in the tub, jeans will get about 2 weeks at a time and base layers make great jumpers and ski layers/fleeces are fine for casual wear...

@sarah, this sounds like my other half... Took her about 3 hours to unpack today!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sarah, I think the large washer in the place in Les Gets that I use sometimes when I am shoving the chalet duvets through is, or was last year, 11 euros. I imagine that without a washer you will discover the joys of hand washing quite quickly, and also giving things a quick shake, smell, and fold or hang back in the cupboard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pamski, I'm fine with the shake and sniff test for jeans, sweaters etc! It's the volumes of undies, base layers, socks our family seems to get through and I don't recall hand washing being a joy Laughing

I have been looking on the Darty website Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sarah, will you have room to fit a washer if you buy one? My OH washes his own ski socks, nothing else mind you but I suppose he does carry the odd load downstairs to the laundry and bung the machine on. He always sticks his socks in the bath as he is getting out and rinses them and puts on the towel rail, and gets cross if they find their way into the machine.
latest report
@Pamski, I think there is room for one of those top loading narrow french style ones in the bathroom, I was weighing it up at the weekend. Or in the kitchen if we did a bit of rearranging. Actually that could be better as then I could fit a dryer on top too Embarassed It's not as crazy as it sounds as I'm hoping that we'll buy out there sometime in the Spring as our sale here hopefully goes through in the New Year so the washer and dryer won't be surplus to requirements!
In the meantime I've ordered three more merino tops Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Merino base layers are good for a week. wink
ski holidays
@pam w, yes but I am the only one to wear them! The hubby and son wear stinky synthetic! I've tried son on merino, Icebreaker no less, and he finds it itchy.
ski holidays
Quote:

The hubby and son wear stinky synthetic!

maybe they'll have to choose between being stinky and washing it themselves in the shower - it dries very easily.

The first few years in our apartment I had no washing machine. I used a laundrette and dryers in the village and shower-washed small items. It was a pain but I coped. I met some interesting people actually, including members of a British army biathlon team, who were training.

I have a washer/dryer now. I had to sacrifice a kitchen cupboard but it's worth it.

Having no washing machine soon makes people more careful about slinging something in the wash just because it's on the bedroom floor and it makes the place look tidier. wink

When I take off my ski socks I put them on the windowsill outside the bedroom window. Again, if they're wool, I find I can wear them quite a few times before they get smelly. I have hooks and/or wire baskets above most of the radiators in my place - the baskets are perfect for gloves, buffs etc and the hooks for damp ski jackets and the like. But in rented places I find there are never enough hooks.
latest report
We have slatted shelves over our electric heaters to try and stop people hanging things directly onto the heaters, but they still must squeeze them into the tiny space sometimes.
The underfloor heating is brilliant for drying clothes overnight, I put an aired out when we go to bed and it's dry in the morning, and ski jackets and trousers, childrens, get laid out into the floor.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy