Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a new ski hat

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm about to buy a new hat for skiing and I'm wondering what people's opinions are of the different materials hats are made of. Previously I've used a woolen hat with a fleece lining on the ears which I found fine but sometimes a bit warm (I'm quite a sweaty person Embarassed ).

So, what do people recomend, a wool hat, a fleece hat, a wool hat with a full fleece lining, a wool hat with a fleece lining over the ears or something else all together?

And do the brands matter? What's the difference between a £30 arc'teryx and a £10 Peter Storm hat?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A hard hat. Very warm. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IanS, the answer is £20.00.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IanS, Hard plastic hat with foam lining and a strap to hold it on your head Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IanS, A selection of hats, I have a thick fleecy one with ear flaps, a thin one that fits in my pocket, a "Heidi" scarf for sunny days, a snowHeads hat for easy recognition in bars and new for this season a hard plastic hat with a strap as recommended above....the last is the best for on the slopes!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There can surely be no doubt that this is the best hat for u wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin,

"down a crevasse"

I think you need to speak to yourself about your email account snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice.

Just out of curiosity, are skiing helmets actually any use for protecting your head? I also cycle and there's a lot of argument as to whether they do any good with a lot of people considering them a pointless lump of polystyrene that actually cause more problems than they solve. Are skiing helmets more sturdy than cycling helmets? Does everyone agree they are a good idea?

Maybe I should put on my helmet before asking this question Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IanS,

before they were popular i would not have worn one, then having seen the state of one friends skull after an argument with a snowfence i wear one all the time for skiing, (friend is ok but does have a large portion of skull missing)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IanS, All will become clear if you read this recent thread on Helmets Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevinrhead wrote:
IanS, All will become clear if you read this recent thread on Helmets Laughing

Quite similar to the cycle argument then. Funny how people can get so worked up about what other people are doing Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IanS, I can respect most angles on the helmet debate, apart from the "I'm so good I never fall over so don't need one" argument, which is arrogant in the extreme.

I wouldn't say they are essential for on-piste use, but decided to hire one last week in france to try it out. My fears of hot sweaty skull pots proved unfounded: I used a "heavy" full shell race-style helmet and if anything was cooler than usual in my fleecy hat. No problems with the weight, and my goggles didn't steam up all week, whereas they sometimes do if I stop to admire the view or put them up on my head while wearing the hat. It was a Salomon Screamer and I can vouch for the active venting system as most effective. The only time I got hot was waiting ages for a bus!

I also saw an incident where an out-of-control learner went straight into someone and emerged with a black eye and forehead lump the size of an egg, so a helmet would probably have helped in that situation.

Definitely get a helmet if going off-piste tho. And don't even think about going tree-skiing without one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the ice perv, yeah, I can see both sides of the debate, much like the cycle helmet discussions (perhaps argument is the right word Very Happy ) both side have valid points and there's obviously no "right answer". The think that irritated me with the cycle helmets is the amount of people who clearly didn't cycle, had never worn a helmet but were willing to argue to the death that wearing one was better and anyone without one is being irresponsible. Anyway, I'll say no more on the subject, this has clearly been done to death judging by the other thread.

I wont be going off-piste and will try my hardest to stay away from trees so I wont bother with a helmet this time. I think I'll go for that North Face wooly, fleece lined hat I saw in Nevis Sports at the weekend for £20 since that'll also come in handy for walking to work and hill walking.

Thanks for all the help (and the clever comments).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IanS, up to you, obviously, but there are plenty of hard things to damage your head on if you fall on a piste, including your own skis (and the piste itself!).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IanS wrote:
I also cycle and there's a lot of argument as to whether they do any good with a lot of people considering them a pointless lump of polystyrene that actually cause more problems than they solve.

I cannot think of a single problem that would stop me EVER wearing a cycle helmet whilst riding. After two serious accidents - 1 whilst racing and the other a training ride - where my helmet was in tatters both times, I am converted. They won't save you from all impacts, but they help a hell of a lot with the silly little ones!

Thats just my opinion, but we do sell around 7,000-8,000 cycle helmets per year, and at the moment that is purely on people's own personal choice, as it ain't the law. And people are not buying cheap ones!

So I bought a Giro G10 for skiing in, after a big crash last year on the slope (Accident prone wink ) and I felt awkward about wearing it despite spending hours per day in a cycle helmet. But after 5 minutes you forget its on, and boy did it keep my head - And especially ears - warm when it was -22!

Ended up wearing it all week and just adjusting the vents as it warmed up. Its a permanent fixture on the next trip.

ScottyDog
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy