Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early season Skiing!!!

Poster: A snowHead
morning all,

so my better half and myself find ourselves with a week off on the 12-19 dec. We normal go skiing quite early season (chistmas and new year) and we tend to stick to some fairly high snowsure resorts
(Tignes & Val). last year we wanted to branch out to other ski areas and went to Sauze and it was a very hit and miss, skiing was alright at the top, but completely none existent lower down, this obviously meant that the slopes were rammed (mostly with angry Italians).

so now we find ourselves a bit torn, we'd like to go to somewhere different again this year but with the weather warming up again where are our best bets? obviously high resorts like VT and Zermatt are going to be alright, but are there any resorts that have done well with the early season snow and are looking good for December???

so where are people heading this winter, any hidden gems out there??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs, @Jimmymalloy snowHead Of French resorts, Tignes is actually looking like the best bet. Not much chance of significant snow in much of the alps for the next 10 days. I would give VT a miss, because with lots of hopeful people thinking that loads of the 3V is going to be opening next weekend there might be quite a few disappointed Meribellers etc up at VT!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jimmymalloy,

Why not try Austria?

We skied Hintertux and Stubai Glaciers last week and conditions were excellent! If you fly to Munich, Innsbruck or Salzburg and hire a car you could visit any of 6 glaciers - the above 2 plus Kaprun, Solden, Pitztal and Kaunertal. Last year we did an October road trip and skied 5 glaciers in 10 days, with no more than a 90 minute drive from one ski area to the next.

The above would guarantee great snow in December but skiing then won't be limited only to the glaciers as other valley resorts will be open. We usually self cater these days in Austria for about £20 pp per night, but you will also be able to find B & B on spec from that price (via booking.com, hotels.com or via the resort websites) & food and drink for less than half the price of the resorts you mention in France eg Spaghetti Bolognese on the mountain for €8.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the moment its looking like the northern Alps will have the best pre-Christmas conditions, so that favours Northern France, Austria and parts of Switzerland. As @Bergmeister, says, some of the Austrian glaciers would be a good call. I'd consider Solden or Kaprun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpe D'Huez was absolutely fine last weekend, they opened a few runs early, official opening is this Saturday. Les Deux Alpes looks superb, can't wait for Saturday Happy Anywhere around here will be fine I think.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went to Zell am See last year, which is open now and right next door to the Kaprun glacier. It's possibly the most picturesque place I've ever visited and the apres is great. Not far from Salzburg either.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jimmymalloy, We had that week last year, when it was not good early season. Went to Mayrhofen - a decent amount was open there, and also some at all the other Zillertal ski areas. Also had a couple of days up at Hintertux where the conditions were fantastic. I'd much prefer that to Tignes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd stick to Tignes & Val, although La Plagne is looking pretty good for opening on the 12th (Excluding the lower villages).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite a few places are probably looking a lot better now than they will be after 12 days with a FL around 3000m.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have the same week available for skiing. Last year I flew to Turin, but this year I'm driving so I can chase the snow...

feeling absolutely desperate, and we may end up in Cervinia again - Zermatt is too dear for my pocket book
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HeidiAmsterdam, Cervinia probably isn't the best bet, being in the currently fairly snow-less Southern Alps. Any of the higher resorts north of the main alpine ridge would be better - like Engelberg, Andermatt, Ischgl (would be my choice), Arlberg, etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HeidiAmsterdam,

As Clarky 999 says - Austria?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

with the weather warming up again where are our best bets?

best bet is either to book one of the resorts with access to a glacier or wait - accommodation shouldn't be in short supply that week. And if, as we all hope, it gets cold and starts snowing, you'll be spoilt for choice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine is opening and if you go to their facebook page and LIKE it they are reducing the tariff by every 1000 likes! Les Carroz is already down to €1!
snow report
Quote:
they are reducing the tariff by every 1000 likes! Les Carroz is already down to €1!
Tariff for what Puzzled....Accommodation? Lift passes? Food and drink?
snow report
@clarky999, I'm meant to be in Sauze later that month, so favoring somewhere that is more or less 'on the way'. Engelberg and Verbier fit the bill, Chamonix as well - VT....

I'll book last minute, but wanting to select a couple of possible options and get a hit list for myself on accommodations, so that when I select a location, I have my lodging short list. Requirements are slope slide - ski in-out, swimming pool, and catered as a bonus service. Then of course, friendly on the budget.
ski holidays
On the other hand, what the hell... I'm going where the skiing is very good, even if I have to spend an extra day in the car to get to Sauze from stop 'A'...

watching and waiting...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy