Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees Heliski

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone used these guys?

Been invited to join a group at the end of Feb for a day with them. Seems reasonably cheap at 390 euros for 3 drops. Too good an opportunity to miss, especially as it falls just 2 weeks before my 40th birthday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nickr, I've not used them. But the price is comparable per drop to the amount I pay in Canada per drop. You would need to check what you are getting for your 3 runs. Most of the European operations I checked tended to be 1 or 2 high drops followed by long descents, as opposed to the shuttle model in the best snow, and extra runs used in Canada.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, Looks like the runs are around 700 to 800m vertical per run so around 2000 to 2500m in total. Have never been heli-skiing before so no idea how that compares. Obviously get use of all the avalanche safety kit, including ABS backpacks. Powder skis are an extra 20 euros to hire, but I'll likely be using my own.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd be very interested to hear how you go... these guys have been around for a few years and I've always been tempted!

The 700m-800m vertical sounds exactly right for the Pyrenees, and they operate in a really beautiful part of the range. You'll have fantastic views of all the most important peaks. I think they're based in Vielha in the Val d'Aran (home to Baqueira-Beret, arguably the best ski resort in Spain if not in the whole Pyrenees) - although your skiing will be further west beyond Posets-Aneto-Maladetas I believe - and I'd recommend at least one free day and night in the valley to check out Vielha town, the up-valley villages such as Arties, Salardu (the old inner bit) and Unha, and possibly even a day in the ski resort. I'm also a big fan of the drive from Vielha over the pass to Bagneres-de-Luchon in France; both the route and the town are lovely.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pyremaniac, I can do a brief report afterwards or send you a PM, but sounds like we're in for a great trip, assuming the weather plays ball. The guy who's organising the trip has a bed and breakfast (Pyrenees Haven) in Ax Les Thermes so I think the plan will be to stay and ski there afterwards.

I have fond memories of Luchon having finished the 2012 Etape du Tour bike race there after almost 11 hours climbing over the Aubisque, Tourmalet, Aspin and Perysourde in freezing rain - never needed a pizza and a pint so much in my life!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That sounds like good value.

Resort-based "3 run" trips are a comparatively expensive way to buy vertical, but if you're getting 2500m for £275 then that's cheap.

Their 5 run tariff (5 runs / ~ 3’500 vertical meters) is £556, is basically the same as my mates' (http://powdermountaincatskiing.com/rates-etc/our-rates/) £561 for 3000-4500m.

Check what their "extra vertical" charges are - that is, ask how much they charge if you do more than three runs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been with them, but have not done any other heli skiing so can't compare.

3 drops, over by lunch time Wink We were dropped to the North East of the town but they sometimes use a disused resort a little up the valley towards Baqueira as it's less heli time.

Personally I'd want to go our way to get more varied terrain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AndAnotherThing.., what was the terrain like - how steep? open bowls? couloirs? trees? etc etc

@philwig, I think I remember reading somewhere it's a 100 euros for additional drops. Which, if conditions are good seems decent value to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nickr, I have found when Heli Skiing, generally there are 3 main factors relating to the terrain being skied:

1. The experience of those on the trip. In Canada the usual restriction is that if you can ski blue runs you can come Heli-skiing, which is quite ridiculous. I know plenty of good piste skiers, who can't powder ski (and I don't mean 30cm of fresh on a prepared piste).

2. The marketing of the 3 trip package, which might well be a 'taster' trip, so point 1 may apply. You are basically moving at the pace of the slowest skier/boarder. Whistler Heliski for example are masters of the 'Heli-Ski experience trip', where the package includes video flypasts etc.

3. The state of the snow cover, avalanche risk, wind etc. The operators cost is generally in the helicopters "engine under power time", so unless there are multiple groups sharing one heli, they are likely to pick routes which minimise the flying time.

Don't forget that just because you are heli skiing, it does not mean you will get endless deep power runs. If you have never been in a helicopter before, the experience of a hot landing or pick up, are all part of the experience.

btw: my record for extra runs on a 6 run package, was 8 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
.. 3 drops, over by lunch time Wink ....
I'd usually expect to have three decent runs down before 09:00 wink

"collective time" is the cost driver. You can easily look up the cost per hour, which is what you pay if you hire the machine (and pilot and guide etc).

With daily heli, if it's a public group, then they're limited in where they can take you. They don't know if you can actually ride. They need to rotate groups through the machine, so you all need to be in the same area. They can't take you in the trees as you may get hurt or get lost, and they can't easily get you out of there. So you may well find you're riding open meadows with "regrouping" every hundred meters. If you want more vertical then this is a very expensive way to get it, and the terrain isn't likely to be sporting unless you're actually renting the machine.

You can probably find online videos from people who went with the operator. That should give you some idea of the pace and the terrain you may find.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AndAnotherThing.., so it was all inside the valley? For some reason, I thought they went west beyond the Maladetas. Interesting that sometimes they go up to La Tuca... there's never-ending talk of reopening that ghost but i can't see it happening.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pyremaniac, Inside the Val d'Aran although not always the main valley. We dipped North North East from Viehlla. I do recall on the day talk of drops on La Tuca, Is the sign still there, it was last year. I always used to look out for the old lift lift line by the hotel?

This was 4 or 5 seasons ago so things may have changed.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Trip planned early Feb to include a day with these guys. It will be a mixed group in terms of skier/boarders + abilities.
Also plan to do some touring with a guide. It will be interesting to see how the two compare.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mortonia, IIRC there is a guide office in Viehlla, otherwise contact Tim at the BB Ski School who has contacts etc. I my see you there...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndAnotherThing.., it's all still there, sadly. Spain is not very good at all at cleaning stuff up, unfortunately.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., Thanks. Will let you know if heading in your direction as might try and get a visit in before Feb.
latest report
@mortonia, I'll be around for a week or so in Feb but not sure the exact dates.
snow conditions
Some video from a run within the last couple of days:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=633911406711694&id=142578479178325
snow report
Looked and sounded like almost spring conditions.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., Personally I wouldn't bother with it if conditions were like that.
snow report
Ouch. Looks / sounds like it was rained on - I can't believe they'd charge for that. I'm surprised they'd fly with those conditions: I've ridden better snow on Royston golf course.
ski holidays
Yeah, not exactly getting me excited to be honest that video!
ski holidays
I guess it depends what you are buying Wink I doubt there is any powder this side of the Atlantic or Japan at the moment.
ski holidays
Heliski operators can't fly you to powder if there isn't any in their designated area. Ideally you would want a blue bird day with 50cm of powder, but that is pretty rare. I have only had those conditions on about 20% of my Heliski days in Canada.
snow report
They call it a "tenure" in Canada. My point is that you don't want to fly people to bad snow, that's not a way to get repeat business. I've flown with my mates at Powder Mountain where we landed at the top, found the conditions were "Leg breaker", so we flew home and refunded the customers. That's the way to do it, you don't want to pay the big bucks to ride garbage.
latest report
The Pyrenees is a world apart from Canada, though, and we don't know how much money is changing hands. I suspect the business might be in dire straits if they have to shut down their operations completely for the whole of December.
snow conditions
My experience has been that it is only the weather conditions, for VFR flying, rather than the snow conditions (assuming no Avalanche risk), that determine if the day will take place. Also the number of guests of course, as most would only fly with one empty seat in a 4-5 seat helicopter.

@philwig, I have Heli skied and Cat skied with Powder Mountain in Whistler. The Heli and Cat skiing days I booked were cancelled due to the number of guests, rather than the conditions. Having said that, on the 2 days I went out, the snow conditions were great.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy