Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis online - binding mount question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks
My son is after a pair of skis for Christmas. I've tracked down a good deal for what he wants to a site called snowcountry.eu. Specifically, he's after Salomon Rocker 2 (100) with Marker Jester 16 bindings. Snag is that the site's policy is to mount the binding before shipping, which requires a Boot Sole Length, but my son doesn't own his own boots. His mondo is 27.5cm and looking at various charts, that could mean a BSL of around 305mm to around 320mm, depending on make of boot. My question is, will there be enough adjustment on the binding heel to mean I could just say BSL is, say 315mm for mounting purposes and just leave the final adjustment for when he hires is boots in resort?

I know this might seem an odd way of doing things, but we aren't convinced that his feet have stopped growing, even though his height seems to be levelling off!

Any advice on this would be great. Thanks, Mick Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 risks with this approach.

1. If you guess wrong, the bindings might have insufficient adjustment and the skis will need to be re-drilled, which weakens them.

2. Even if they will 'fit', it is highly unlikely that the centreline of the boots will line-up with the centreline of the skis, which may compromise the behaviour of the ski.

Rent both.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mickv, Could they do the schizo version? then you can move the heel and toes about to suit. Also boot centre is not always the best place, (i run most of my skis (but not all) about 1.5cm forward of the centre mark as i have tiny feet) with a schizo you can find your best place by moving the binding about.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh and boots, have a look in Decathlon if you have one handy, got my daughter a pair of last season coloured Wed'ze boots she is very happy with reduced to £29.99 in the Nottingham store at the weekend, will probably get close to that back for them on ebay when grown out of this time next year.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 30-11-15 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Zorrac - My understanding of the schizo version is that it's designed to change position relative to ski centreline, rather than to give more flexibility on boot size, but that's only based on a quick google look up and I'm no expert. The site unfortunately doesn't appear to do the schizo version in the bundle deal either Sad
The problem with hiring boots is that even getting the bindings delivered unmounted doesn't help as I've no idea what boots he'll end up with when hiring! My only hope is to get comfort on the amount of adjustment in the binding, I think.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davkt - good idea but I know how these things go - he's 16 and in that fashion conscious zone where sticking him into a £30 pair of boots would be unlikely to succeed and in any event, it would be nice to think he had another shoe size worth of expansion in the binding for next year. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mickv, just out of curiosity - why does he want to own a pair of skis but rent boots? if he has to pay some rental costs in resort anyway, why carry skis when travelling and pay the baggage fees too? (He's unlikely to find many good deals on boots only when renting...)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Could be worse @mickv, darling daughter is 12 and I doubt any boy ever is as fashion conscious as a female of that age! Bindings, the best you can do I think is forget the Jesters and put rental style very adjustable bindings on the skis, anything else sods law says the rental boots that fit him will be just too long or too short for the bindings so you'll end up hiring skis as well as paying to transport them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The schizo is easy to adjust for boot size, you just change the tabs on it, theres no extra drilling required as its basically a marker rental binding. Also I would be amazed if your son needs Jesters at his age, I'm 6'4 and 100kg with kit on and I ran Jesters.

The issues with trying to guess the range of a binding are complex, in theory it should be simple but its not. Most bindings heal tracks have a fore / aft adjustment of between 1.5 and 2cm (i've owned and set up most alpine bindings). However some bindings are highly sensitive to forward pressure. You could mount the binding for a 315bls, and make the boot fit a 305 but the forward pressure might be out of its range and compromise retention.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lordf - thanks. You are clearly more knowledgeable than me on this. Are you saying that going for the Jester is really over speccing the binding - ie money down the drain. He's 6ft but slim, so probably around 65kgs. He does jumps etc but not massive kickers. What binding would you recommend in the circumstances?

Other approach is to get him boots, but that could be money down the drain if they only last him a year....

@Fixx - I put him off boots given his feet may not have stopped growing. I know that obvious approach is to get boots and later buy skis, but that makes less sense for kids. He's not bothered about baggage fees, because he doesn't pay them!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marker demo binding. Assuming he is not a second row and is not routinely taking serious air then these should probably do the job.

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/marker-squire-demo-wh-bk-an-16-p-1-31035.html?gclid=CJy5gO6guMkCFYvpwgodoPgE0w

Do you know what DIN he runs?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

He's 6ft but slim, so probably around 65kgs

He does not need the Jester. The Jester's lowest DIN setting could well be too high for him. You could put him on a Griffon or Squire demo without any issues.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mickv wrote:
@lordf - thanks. You are clearly more knowledgeable than me on this. Are you saying that going for the Jester is really over speccing the binding - ie money down the drain. He's 6ft but slim, so probably around 65kgs. He does jumps etc but not massive kickers. What binding would you recommend in the circumstances?

Other approach is to get him boots, but that could be money down the drain if they only last him a year....

@Fixx - I put him off boots given his feet may not have stopped growing. I know that obvious approach is to get boots and later buy skis, but that makes less sense for kids. He's not bothered about baggage fees, because he doesn't pay them!

I probably weigh double what your son does when I have all my kit on and most of my bindings are 14 din Atomics, I have 18's on some of my skis but its more to do with the binding being metal through and through. As others have said the Jester is overkill for his age and weight. Most of my chums even the aggressive but lighter park skiers ride Griffon's. Squire's will be too light for him in the long run.

Something like the Griffon or Tyrolia Attack 13 demo would be about perfect, they are essentially the same binding but if you have a search around eBay with the EU as the search area a lot of German places sell the Attack 13 demo. I would have them mounted at a decent local shop in the UK, theres nothing wrong with the sites to buy from but a lot of them miss mount bindings. Any decent shop will have the Marker or Tyrolia jigs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or these:

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/741876/products/marker_griffon_2015_demo_ski_binding_110mm_brake.aspx

For the extra 30 quid I'd probably go with the Griffon over the Squire.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys. I've emailed the shop re supplying the Griffon demos - that looks the best route, as it gives scope for further growth.
snow report
Sport Conrad are doing the Griffon for £96 delivered, at the moment (not demo, though).

Just got a pair for Lady F. Will take the Jesters off her piste skis and fit the Griffons to them, and stick her Jesters on her new off-piste skis.

She has skied Jesters for the last 2 years on some Line Prophets. She is a very good skier, but mostly moguls and some off-piste, rather than jumps. Jesters are not necessary even for her, I think.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy